Best mobile network to use inside the stadium?

jrh2254

2 minutes ago, jrh2254 said:

Whats the best mobile network to use inside the stadium. Currently on sky(O2) which is useless (am using iphone 11).

Thinking of switching , but not sure which one to choose?

Thanks.

No idea, we’re all watching the game. 😀

Joking aside, I guess (hope) you’re talking about half time. A difficult one to answer as most of us probably have experience of only one, maybe two at the most, networks. I’m on Three mobile and it’s OK but not great at half time.

9 hours ago, Wolfie said:

My top tip is to go to phone settings while I’m the stadium & switch to the 3G network. 4G struggles with so many people. 

I used to do it on an iPhone 11 and worked on both O2 and EE (dual sim)

Since I’ve had the 5g phone it won’t let me select 3G anymore ☹️

Speaking of phone networks - I just had a text from EE to tell me that they are stopping free roaming in the EU. Not just stopping it but charging an arm and a leg for it instead. Another amazing Brexit benefit. We've taken back control of being able to bleed ourselves dry for the sin of wanting to leave this magical island

Anyone know if all the networks plan to follow suit? I'm happy to switch if necessary

3 Go Roam is £2 per 24hours from first call/text in that 24 hours. So if you don't use the phone for say 12hours after the last 24 expired the clock starts again. It uses your normal allowance upto 12Gb per day. Then if allowance used up 3p per minute or 3p a text.

Edited by FindernRam

5 hours ago, FindernRam said:

3 Go Roam is £2 per 24hours from first call/text in that 24 hours. So if you don't use the phone for say 12hours after the last 24 expired the clock starts again. It uses your normal allowance upto 12Gb per day. Then if allowance used up 3p per minute or 3p a text.

Edited by Tamworthram

20 hours ago, jrh2254 said:

Whats the best mobile network to use inside the stadium. Currently on sky(O2) which is useless (am using iphone 11).

Thanks.

I'm on EE and O2 (work, used to be on Vodafone but same issue) and both struggle due to the volumes of people in the ground. I'm not sure changing would make much difference really. 

20 hours ago, Wolfie said:

My top tip is to go to phone settings while I’m the stadium & switch to the 3G network. 4G struggles with so many people. 

I used to do it on an iPhone 11 and worked on both O2 and EE (dual sim)

I'm with O2 and switching from 4G to 3G makes no difference - it still won't load whilst I'm in the stadium. 

6 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I'm on 3 mobile and, just to further clarify what you've said:

It's £2 per day in Europe but £5 per day in other parts of the world. The 24hr period would also be triggered by data usage - not just phone calls or texts.

Once you pay your £2, any phone calls or texts are included in your normal allowance so, if you have unlimited calls (as I do) calls don't cost you anything above the £2 Go Roam fee (subject to the usual non free phone numbers).

If you have limited data (I have 12Gb per month which has always proved to be enough) but think you'll need more (for example, you or someone in your family may want to stream stuff whilst you're away - we used my phone as a hotspot for 2 mobile phones and 2 Ipads whilst we were abroad) you can buy a data passport for £5 a day. 

We often go with Eurocamp (even though the kids are grown up, we still go on our own out of school holidays) and these Go Roam costs are usually far less than the campsite charges.

O2 don't charge for holidays in Europe, has to be occasional,  so I think it wouldn't apply if you're travelling regularly on business. But that's one of the reasons I switched to them- that and they've been quite cheap.

The O2 signal in the ground is rubbish, I tend to open up twitter if there's an injury break in play (surprisingly the opposition have been very helpful in creating these all season 🫢) and then let it update when it feels like it so I can scroll through it at halftime. Sometimes I get the graphics, sometimes I don't. Not had much luck with the 3G tip either.

Away at Exeter I had a perfect signal all game - right in the middle of university land! 

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm on 3 mobile and, just to further clarify what you've said:

It's £2 per day in Europe but £5 per day in other parts of the world. The 24hr period would also be triggered by data usage - not just phone calls or texts.

Once you pay your £2, any phone calls or texts are included in your normal allowance so, if you have unlimited calls (as I do) calls don't cost you anything above the £2 Go Roam fee (subject to the usual non free phone numbers).

If you have limited data (I have 12Gb per month which has always proved to be enough) but think you'll need more (for example, you or someone in your family may want to stream stuff whilst you're away - we used my phone as a hotspot for 2 mobile phones and 2 Ipads whilst we were abroad) you can buy a data passport for £5 a day. 

We often go with Eurocamp (even though the kids are grown up, we still go on our own out of school holidays) and these Go Roam costs are usually far less than the campsite charges.

Plusnet, you can take your uk allowance to Europe and they are cheap as chips. They are owned  by BT which own EE. Still crap in the stadium though

12 hours ago, angieram said:

O2 don't charge for holidays in Europe, has to be occasional,  so I think it wouldn't apply if you're travelling regularly on business. But that's one of the reasons I switched to them- that and they've been quite cheap.

The O2 signal in the ground is rubbish, I tend to open up twitter if there's an injury break in play (surprisingly the opposition have been very helpful in creating these all season 🫢) and then let it update when it feels like it so I can scroll through it at halftime. Sometimes I get the graphics, sometimes I don't. Not had much luck with the 3G tip either.

Away at Exeter I had a perfect signal all game - right in the middle of university land! 

Also you were sat next to the press box😉

On 02/05/2023 at 21:39, jrh2254 said:

Thanks.

None.

This isn't some judgemental post on using your phone in the ground either.

When you have 30,000 in close proximity, be it a football stadium or music gig, you're going to struggle to get a decent signal.

One network might load a page a couple of times more than another, but it's really not worth moving for that reason alone.

What I would say is though, you're better to go with the parent network like O2, EE and Vodaphone over those that piggyback off them if finances allow.

On 03/05/2023 at 11:08, Stive Pesley said:

Speaking of phone networks - I just had a text from EE to tell me that they are stopping free roaming in the EU. Not just stopping it but charging an arm and a leg for it instead. Another amazing Brexit benefit. We've taken back control of being able to bleed ourselves dry for the sin of wanting to leave this magical island

Anyone know if all the networks plan to follow suit? I'm happy to switch if necessary

Back on topic.

Going to try my phone setting at 3G and try next home game. Even quite a distance from PP after the game I struggle to get a signal. Currently on 02  with iPhone 11

Edited by cstand