FA Cup 22/23

Day

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

I read somewhere that Ipswich hadn't played there either, but not sure if thats still the case

I think you’re right. They were in the Championship longer than anybody (making the playoffs 3 times but losing all at the semi-final stage) until going down and I don’t recall them ever reaching an FA Cup semi-final. 

Just googled and Accrington, Hartlepool, Colchester and Crawley are the other four EFL clubs yet to play there.

I must have read Blackburn are the only club in the top two divisions yet to play there. They did have a League Cup final at the Millennium Stadium from memory though. Beat Spurs I think.

Edited by Bris Vegas

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

I love Mitrovic. 

Genuinely love his aggression. He overstepped the mark I suppose. 

He's a good player that's for sure...but a loose cannon that is always primed to go off, I see a 5 game ban on the horizon.

11 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

What would be the sanction if Jimmy Anderson pushed an umpire and then made him back peddle under a torrent of abuse for failing to give an LBW ? 9 months ? 
Football is the only sport where abuse of the officials is the norm, both from players and officials and pundits. Very poor example to kids watching the game and encourages copycat behaviour at grass roots level. 

Footballers are professionals. Footballing is their job. If they were wearing suits and working in an office, would that sort of behaviour be acceptable. The ref is the equivalent of an auditor. If I laid hands on a CQC of OFSTED inspector, if I don’t agree with a decision, my career would pretty much be over. End of.  

32 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Remember this?

image.png.814d7b9187be9fa2c2f2ebafdb481575.png

Fair play to that ref. Bigger men have probably crumbled into jelly in the full face of Keane’s anger. He looks like he’s doing a decent job of keeping calm and standing his ground. 

Those incidents come at a time when there is increased scrutiny over the treatment of referees at grassroots levels amid reports of a growing number of threats against them.

"It is not easy," Ten Hag said. "Last week I was so frustrated when you see so many bad decisions that you feel are against you, but you have to clear your mind and keep managing the game.

"Referees also have to take responsibility but, you are right, we have to set an example."

If only their was something like VAR for football! What a joke VAR is, the complaints from managers and others will never end whatever.

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Fair play to that ref. Bigger men have probably crumbled into jelly in the full face of Keane’s anger. He looks like he’s doing a decent job of keeping calm and standing his ground. 

A picture that doesn't speak a 1000 words, It's Andy D'Urso when he gave a penalty at Old Trafford some 23 years ago, He was savaged by those around him, D'urso was walking back so far he ended up in the Irish Sea.

A quote from D'Urso

On 29 January 2000 while refereeing the game between Manchester United and Middlesbrough, D'Urso awarded Middlesbrough a penalty kick when Juninho was tackled by Jaap Stam. Upon awarding the kick, six Manchester United players (Roy Keane, Nicky Butt, David Beckham, Jaap Stam, Ryan Giggs and Denis Irwin) chased D'Urso to object to the decision; the resulting image was freely circulated by the media.[1] D'Urso said of the incident: "It was my first season in the Premier League, my first time refereeing Manchester United and my first time at Old Trafford. With more experience I would have stood my ground. I kept saying 'go away', but the further back I walked the more they walked on. A more experienced referee would not have retreated. But there are no grudges. I've refereed Roy Keane on a number of occasions since without a problem."[2] Several players, notably, Keane and Stam, have since voiced their regret of the incident. D'Urso booked Keane for dissent shortly after the incident.

55 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Footballers are professionals. Footballing is their job. If they were wearing suits and working in an office, would that sort of behaviour be acceptable. The ref is the equivalent of an auditor. If I laid hands on a CQC of OFSTED inspector, if I don’t agree with a decision, my career would pretty much be over. End of.  

I’ve been tempted with a CQC inspector but you have to act professionally. Assistant refs should also have yellow/red card use.

9 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

I’ve been tempted with a CQC inspector but you have to act professionally. Assistant refs should also have yellow/red card use.

What's an assistant ref going to do with a yellow/red card? Most of them won't indicate the direction of a throw in without confermation from the ref.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I'm with Curtis on this one.

Someone from the Referees Association describing it as assault. Really? 

Defining it as assault is certainly a bit strong but the ref's have a hard enough job without physical argy-bargy as well as the verbal abuse - which players seem to get away with (and shouldn't IMO).

18 hours ago, 1of4 said:

What's an assistant ref going to do with a yellow/red card? Most of them won't indicate the direction of a throw in without confermation from the ref.

They would issue them for dissent. Have you seen how they are spoken to, and physically assaulted in the case of Bruno Fernandez. Perhaps they deserve it and it’s all part and parcel of the game.