Gary Lineker

Day

I think what makes the argument a bit daft on here, is that if this was a discussion about Alan Sugar and his tweet with the picture of Corbyn next to Hitler then nearly everyone’s opinion would be reversed which completely sullies any free speech or impartiality argument. 

Some don’t like Lineker and that’s it. I’m not sure you can have a debate on the rights or wrongs on what he said because of it. This is feeling much like the Covid/Politics debates on here where it’s saying things for the sake of it and losing focus on any understanding what the BBC impartiality rules are meant to mean, the BBC managements handling of the case, Linekers phrasing (that I thought was very carefully put) and where our politics is at the minute. 

The other thing to acknowledge is that I think we are in a bit of what I call ‘silly season’ where something reaches the zeitgeist and we all argue over something we don’t really need it Wasn’t it Jimmy Carr’s joke last year? Give it a week and we will have sunnier weather, be outside more and Match of the Day saga will be at the back of peoples mind.

2 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

According to the BBC viewing figures for MOTD were up by half a million. That might give them food for thought .

The more interesting figures will be if the ratings are up or down on iplayer after the weekend. I really doubt 500,000 extra people tuned in because of no pundits, but probably because they were intrigued to see what they would do.

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

OK I'm going to call this one

image.png.ed9b29b4098479e5138672052c85258b.png

Within minutes of the government...sorry I mean the BBC announcing the name of the independent expert, someone will discover a shady link between the expert and the Conservative Party.  

It will be mad Nads or 30p Lee ?

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Spelling

11 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

The more interesting figures will be if the ratings are up or down on iplayer after the weekend. I really doubt 500,000 extra people tuned in because of no pundits, but probably because they were intrigued to see what they would do.

Well I tuned in for the first time in about 20 years. Like I said  I don’t want to watch a chat show. Even aside from the fact that I can’t stand Lineker, even if they had another pundit I wouldn’t watch it. The only thing worth watching is the highlights and those are available elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think what makes the argument a bit daft on here, is that if this was a discussion about Alan Sugar and his tweet with the picture of Corbyn next to Hitler then nearly everyone’s opinion would be reversed which completely sullies any free speech or impartiality argument. 

Some don’t like Lineker and that’s it. I’m not sure you can have a debate on the rights or wrongs on what he said because of it. This is feeling much like the Covid/Politics debates on here where it’s saying things for the sake of it and losing focus on any understanding what the BBC impartiality rules are meant to mean, the BBC managements handling of the case, Linekers phrasing (that I thought was very carefully put) and where our politics is at the minute. 

The other thing to acknowledge is that I think we are in a bit of what I call ‘silly season’ where something reaches the zeitgeist and we all argue over something we don’t really need it Wasn’t it Jimmy Carr’s joke last year? Give it a week and we will have sunnier weather, be outside more and Match of the Day saga will be at the back of peoples mind.

The outrage from some quarters resulting from Lineker's tweet, has however, neatly deflected attention from the policy it took aim at. The Tories will no doubt view this as a 'win', despite his reinstatement. 

Plus ça change...

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The outrage from some quarters resulting from Lineker's tweet, has however, neatly deflected attention from the policy it took aim at. The Tories will no doubt view this as a 'win', despite his reinstatement. 

Plus ça change...

What would be your solution to the small boats crisis then 86HI?

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Typical weasel solution from BBC. Is Lineker  even a freelancer? HMRC think otherwise he’s only got one job and that’s at the BBC. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64936917

Yes, he is a freelancer. Even his employer says so.

Lineker has hosted Match of the Day since 1999 and is the BBC's highest paid star, having earned about £1.35m in 2020-21. He is employed by the BBC on a freelance basis.

Edited by Animal is a Ram

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Plus ça change...

Unfortunately true, and if I was being cynical the BBC upper management played their part in doing that Friday night too. Politically it’ll be interesting, the Tories started that week with a lot of good stock over the NI agreement but they’ve quickly lost that with Braverman’s policy and could cause further damage in the next few days. So they might have a small win, but they still have to deal with the fall out of the policy 

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

That we adhere to international law and not criminalise refugees and asylum seekers based on their mode of transport.

Radical I know... ?

But you haven’t answered the question. How would you solve the crisis? Or do you think there isn’t one, it’s just dog whistling for the Red wall voters? 

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

But you haven’t answered the question. How would you solve the crisis? Or do you think there isn’t one, it’s just dog whistling for the Red wall voters? 

Give over, he's answered the question. I can see it's a subject that you're passionate about, but remember not all of us have the issue with immigration that others do. Let's all agree to disagree, let the polling stations handle it and carry on watching the rams go up.

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

And maybe stop referring to it as a "crisis". It's no such thing

You don’t think? I mean you can criticise Braverman by all means. Is she lying that there are 100million displaced people around the world with many many more keen to migrate? Maybe not all coming here I will grant you that but unless those numbers are made up I don’t see it as anything other than a crisis, not one unique to the Uk sure . 

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You'll change your tune when 100 millions refugees arrive on our shores in the next few weeks.

This has literally never happened, and never will happen. Also, helping those most in need by offering legal asylum makes me proud to be British.

100 million lol. Are they all arriving on the same small boat?