Derby v Leicester 1939

oldtimeram

13 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Never seen that before looks at least 20,000 plus but always hard to tell with terraces.

sobering to think many would soon be off to war maybe to never make it back!

Yes I was thinking that too.  Within a year or two many of the crowd would have been dead

There are some more Derby clips on the BFI site.  This one - https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-fourth-round-english-cup-newcastle-united-v-derby-county-march-11-1911-1911-online - shows the Rams being led out by what looks like the great man  himself, Steve Bloomer, so for once we can say we were watching him rather than the other way round.  

Unfortunately, we lost the game 4- 0 and Derby fans were no doubt ruing the fact that Steve was picked ahead of Chris Martin.... 

15 hours ago, Baffled said:

There are some more Derby clips on the BFI site.  This one - https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-fourth-round-english-cup-newcastle-united-v-derby-county-march-11-1911-1911-online - shows the Rams being led out by what looks like the great man  himself, Steve Bloomer, so for once we can say we were watching him rather than the other way round.  

Unfortunately, we lost the game 4- 0 and Derby fans were no doubt ruing the fact that Steve was picked ahead of Chris Martin.... 

Fascinating to see football from that era and and also the great man himself. Again like the 1939 game, many of the crowd crammed into St James Park would die in the war to end all wars a couple of years later.  Must have been hard to see much in those days over the big flat caps and enormous Edwardian hats the woman wore. I wonder what is the earliest footage of Derby? 

On 30/01/2023 at 22:38, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Looked a good turn out.
Curiosity got the better of me - 11,922! Looks more than that. 10,000 probably bunged the turnstile operator a shilling to let them in. 

Definitely more than that there!

No wonder they never got injured back then though, don't think there was a single actual sprint.

Many of us went to the Baseball ground loads of times. I'm telling you that was a 30,000 plus crowd easily. Its packed! OK putting up the Ley stand raised the capacity a bit, but in those days there was standing on the lower tiers of both the Normanton and Osmaston ends. Also standing on the paddocks. There was no areas lost for segregation  

Great stuff anyway, thanks for finding it and posting it Oldtimeram

They are really interesting, thanks for posting.  I can’t believe the reported only circa 12k crowd, from what it says on the DCFC website the capacity after 1935 was about 38,000 which makes sense with the extra standing at each end, and a much bigger pop side before the Ley stand was added on top.

It’s amazing to think that that 1911 match is well over 100 years ago - an obvious statement I know, but it really does hammer home how long our beloved club has been around, and why we are all glad it still is!

On 02/02/2023 at 23:21, Baffled said:

That 1911 video is great.  Bill McCracken's name can be see on the Newcastle team sheet for that game. He made his debut for Distillery in 1900 and he was still involved in the game in the modern era.  He was a manager for many years and then he was a scout. He found Pat Jennings for Watford. One link says he formally retired as a scout in 1971 but I have seen other references that suggest he was still scouting almost until his death in 1979. As a player he was so influential he was the reason they changed the offside law from three to two players.

Edited by Normanton Lad

On 29/01/2023 at 18:15, oldtimeram said:

Those of us who remember the old ground can see that apart from the floodlights that ground was the same in 1939 as it was in 1969 before they build the Ley Stand. I imagine they spent nothing on it except a few bob for paint and whitewash. Very little money went into the club. We had shopkeepers as directors rather than oligarchs. They didn't spend much but at least they kept us on an even keel.

58 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Those of us who remember the old ground can see that apart from the floodlights that ground was the same in 1939 as it was in 1969 before they build the Ley Stand. I imagine they spent nothing on it except a few bob for paint and whitewash. Very little money went into the club. We had shopkeepers as directors rather than oligarchs. They didn't spend much but at least they kept us on an even keel.

I seem to recall they put new floodlights up in about 1970