What Rams player was worth the most in their peak?

Bob The Badger

5 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

Overall thought McFarland was slightly better than toddy, but in 74/75 season toddy was imperious can’t remember him making a mistake all season, he was also PFA player of the season in 1975 so in today’s money I’d put him at around 100m

I think McFarland was simply an all-round better player than Toddy, who was also great. But some of Toddy's greatness grew from playing alongside McFarland - what a pair! But I agree that Toddy was outstanding alongside Peter Daniel in 1974-75 when McFarland missed all but the last four games of the second Championship season through injury. While Toddy won the PFA award, Daniel won the DCFC Supporters player of the year award.

Toddy was never as good elsewhere as he was at Derby County.

37 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Weren’t we a bit like Blackburn? bobbing along in the second division then rose to the top, twice for us mind, then dropped away back to where we came from?

Bobbing along is a good analogy...we were and then along came one Brian Clough and all changed, His fall out with Sam Longson where BC try to call his bluff...where it misfired...the rest as we know is History ☹️ 

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think McFarland was simply an all-round better player than Toddy, who was also great. But some of Toddy's greatness grew from playing alongside McFarland - what a pair! But I agree that Toddy was outstanding alongside Peter Daniel in 1974-75 when McFarland missed all but the last four games of the second Championship season through injury. While Toddy won the PFA award, Daniel won the DCFC Supporters player of the year award.

Toddy was never as good elsewhere as he was at Derby County.

PD didn't win because he was better, but because of how he stepped up. I don'tt mean to sound disingenuous because he was amazing, but it was largely a vote of thanks by the fans. 

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Toddy may well have won a few more caps if a certain Bobby Moore was not around….

Bobby Moore played his last game for England in 1973 I think Don Revie was the main reason he only played 27 times for England, if my memory serves me right Revie offered Toddy the captaincy but he turned it down Revie barely picked him after that 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Bobby Moore was on the way out before  keeping Toddy out of the England team…last England appearance in 1973.

Toddy was a top player from 1970 so would have picked up a few more without Bobby still there.  It’s no disgrace to be kept out by the worlds best. 

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

Toddy was a top player from 1970 so would have picked up a few more without Bobby still there.  It’s no disgrace to be kept out by the worlds best. 

But he had plenty of opportunity to play for England from 1973 onwards so Moore can’t be the reason….

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

PD didn't win because he was better, but because of how he stepped up. I don'tt mean to sound disingenuous because he was amazing, but it was largely a vote of thanks by the fans. 

I agree completely. That was my view at the time and it still is.

37 minutes ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

The aggro between the two was unbelievable- never saw Ronnie lose his rag against any other player, it was almost as though World War 3 had broken out!

Wolves fans of our vintage say that Ron Webster wasn't alone in finding Wagstaffe a handful - most full backs did. He really is a Molineux legend amongst them.

Brian Clough had clearly identified the Wagstaffe problem and set out to curb it. Here is what Alan Durban related last season on the 50th anniversary of the first league title:

Clough’s side continued to charge as they beat Coventry City and their nearest rivals Nottingham Forest 4-0, before Wolverhampton Wanderers visited the Baseball Ground. Wolves presented a difficult task for Derby, as they did for many sides that season. Clough knew it, too. And he did something that afternoon which has lived with Durban for more than half a century. 

“When we went out to play the game against Wolves, I was generally one of the first players out after the captain,” he remembered. “I was always the third or fourth out, but Brian said to me before the game to go out last. I wasn’t sure why and it was a bit strange, but as I was just going down the tunnel, a big hand came over my shoulder from him. He whispered in my ear: ‘If Mike Bailey finds Dave Wagstaffe with a 40-yard ball, you will come and sit with me.’ So that was my instructions for the match. 

“Now, what he didn’t tell me was that he had already told Ron Webster to go and play next to Toddy to stop Derek Dougan running down that channel. Now, the fact he never brought it up in a team meeting in front of everyone is incredible. If you go on management courses, they will tell you that fear motivation doesn’t work, but there was something about him that you feared and it worked because I didn’t let that pass happen all game and we managed to get the win which was important.”