What Rams player was worth the most in their peak?

Bob The Badger

2 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Bobby Moore played his last game for England in 1973 I think Don Revie was the main reason he only played 27 times for England, if my memory serves me right Revie offered Toddy the captaincy but he turned it down Revie barely picked him after that 

Didn’t the F.A old crusty boy board members pick the team in them days? The manager was a puppet no?

37 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Didn’t the F.A old crusty boy board members pick the team in them days? The manager was a puppet no?

He was right up until the time Alf Ramsey replaced Walter Winterbottom in 1963. Ramsey made it a condition of accepting the job that for the first time the manager would pick the team whereas before it was a selection committee from the FA 'blazers' who picked the team without the manager having an input. It was bonkers.

Uncle Albert knows best Boycie. You could have been one of us if you were born a bit earlier. You'd have been good at it. In fact we might now make you an honorary member ?.

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I remember then signing Caskey with Vic Moreland. Heady times. 

Caskey and Moreland had houses in Oakwood when it was first being built in the late 70’s,they backed onto Darwin school and they used to watch some of our school matches I don’t think they were good enough to get in Darwin’s team to be honest 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Honourable mentions to Hector, Todd, George and Gemmill but the best all round footballer for Derby in my lifetime is clear cut....

Roy McFarland.

And don't forget Alan Hinton. He couldn't tackle but Clough pointed out that he didn't buy him to track back and tackle, just for all the marvellous things he was capable of. A scorer of great goals from the wing and the finest crosser of a ball I have ever seen. He could land a cross on a sixpence and without his finesse and his many assists I don't think we would have become League champions. If Ramsey played wingers he would have added another 50 caps to the three he won playing for England. Bob Wilson hated playing against him and describes him as a genius. Bob should know, as do Kevin Hector, Roger Davies and John O'Hare.

Happy New Year to all my fellow Rams fans.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

I don't think Toddo's England career was helped when he and Alan Hudson asked not to go on tour to the USA with the England U23s. Neither player was picked for England squads for a period of time after that, until performances and the media demanded that he was selected. Even so, I always believed that the FA held a bit of a grudge against him.

49 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How much is promotion from League One worth? That's how much Erin Cashin is worth.

Whoever wanted to release him before the poo hit the fan under Morris needs their head looking at.

I think that was Calamity Wayne himself to free up a space for another loan.

10 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

He was right up until the time Alf Ramsey replaced Walter Winterbottom in 1963. Ramsey made it a condition of accepting the job that for the first time the manager would pick the team whereas before it was a selection committee from the FA 'blazers' who picked the team without the manager having an input. It was bonkers.

Uncle Albert knows best Boycie. You could have been one of us if you were born a bit earlier. You'd have been good at it. In fact we might now make you an honorary member ?.

8C6E9C50-80D3-4DC6-A629-9E1864CCC59C.jpeg.a8495d67c4438716524023f6e7a83397.jpeg

I’d be proud to be a member, I’d be a right one too.

10 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Caskey and Moreland had houses in Oakwood when it was first being built in the late 70’s,they backed onto Darwin school and they used to watch some of our school matches I don’t think they were good enough to get in Darwin’s team to be honest 

And Vic even pulled up in his Saab one day, and had a kick around with us on the bottom green. 
I suspect he was captain, and picked you last, but my memory is hazy!  ?

???

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

And Vic even pulled up in his Saab one day, and had a kick around with us on the bottom green. 

???

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

???

Your memory is very hazy you know full well I was picked first ?

17 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Bobby Moore played his last game for England in 1973 I think Don Revie was the main reason he only played 27 times for England, if my memory serves me right Revie offered Toddy the captaincy but he turned it down Revie barely picked him after that 

Not qualifying for the 74 and 78 World Cup and 76 Euros won’t have helped.  And there weren’t as many games back then so players like Moore, etc making over 100 appearances was really special.  Just had a look online and Toddy never played a single game under Ron Greenwood, and he was only 28 at the time.  When you think he was chosen over a certain Mr Clough he would have easily doubled his caps if the right decision had been made.

13 hours ago, ram59 said:

I don't think Toddo's England career was helped when he and Alan Hudson asked not to go on tour to the USA with the England U23s. Neither player was picked for England squads for a period of time after that, until performances and the media demanded that he was selected. Even so, I always believed that the FA held a bit of a grudge against him.

I was trying to think what that was. I could vaguely remember a football mag having him and Hudson on the front cover because of a ruckus but couldn't remember the back story.

Plus in those days national teams played far fewer games.