What Rams player was worth the most in their peak?

Bob The Badger

Pound for pound and Euro for Euro and taking into account their age, when they were at Derby (and you must have seen them play), who would fetch most in tomorrow's transfer window? Give the year and the sale price and ignore if they went on to be better or worse that the figure suggested  

I'll go for:

Colin Todd 1975, £100m

Hmm. I suspect a lot of these are going to be from the 70s.

Best team I’ve seen play has got to be Jim Smith’s so I’ll go for Stimac. At his peak, a top 6, international centre back. Today’s money about £50m. 

Although, knowing our negotiation team, it’ll be more like £10m and a subscription to Shoot magazine. 

Roy McFarland for me at £140m. On the morning before we beat Benfica 3-0 at the BBG in October 1972, this appeared in the national press:

On the morning of the game, the Daily Mirror sports pages led with the headline ‘Roy will knock spots off the Panther - Taylor,’ saying ‘the seething European battleground of Derby will tonight parade the greatest footballer in the world. That is the carefully-weighed view of County's assistant manager Peter Taylor, a level-headed administrator not given to wild exaggeration.

‘If you believe that Brian Clough's adjutant is referring to Eusebio, the Black Panther of Benfica, you are forgiven. But no. The legendary Portuguese striker, according to Taylor, is due to be overshadowed tonight by the richly talented Roy McFarland. With Clough still en route from Lisbon, where he mapped out the blueprint for Derby's greatest single challenge since the 1946 Cup Final, Taylor said: I believe McFarland is the greatest player I have even seen —and I reckon I have had a look at them all in - my time. "This is the perfect stage for Roy to prove what I believe. Sir Alf Ramsey is  sold on him and it is matches like this one which will prove it to everybody else.

“You could play him anywhere in any side in the world and he would be the star man. They used to say Sugar Ray Robinson was the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Well I believe in terms of overall skill in any position on the park, Roy McFarland is the best footballer."

Taylor's prediction was spot on over the two legs and McFarland shut out Eusebio completely and he even bagged the first goal of the tie at the sold-out BBG. Happy days.

Some good old partisan bias going on here. £87m is the record fee for a defender ever and we have Colin Todd being pitched at a cool £100m. Great player, but not exceptional - had some weaknesses hence perhaps the number of his international caps.
Kevin Hector similarly would never have been a £100m footballer in my book although someone thought Grealish actually was. The only player on our books who I think might have fetched £50m plus at his peak was Shilton. World class Keeper. 

Edited by i-Ram

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Some good old partisan bias going on here. £87m is the record fee for a defender ever and we have Colin Todd being pitched at a cool £100m. Great player, but not exceptional - had some weaknesses hence perhaps the number of his international caps.
Kevin Hector similarly would never have been a £100m footballer in my book although someone thought Grealish actually was. The only player on our books who I think might have fetched £50m plus at his peak was Shilton. World class Keeper. 

What were Colin’s weaknesses in your eyes ?
Lack of caps had a lot to do with less international fixtures , not qualifying for the 1974 World Cup and a certain Ex Leeds Manager running England and picking his favs Hunter and Madeley if my memory is correct. 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

7 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Roy McFarland for me at £140m. On the morning before we beat Benfica 3-0 at the BBG in October 1972, this appeared in the national press:

On the morning of the game, the Daily Mirror sports pages led with the headline ‘Roy will knock spots off the Panther - Taylor,’ saying ‘the seething European battleground of Derby will tonight parade the greatest footballer in the world. That is the carefully-weighed view of County's assistant manager Peter Taylor, a level-headed administrator not given to wild exaggeration.

‘If you believe that Brian Clough's adjutant is referring to Eusebio, the Black Panther of Benfica, you are forgiven. But no. The legendary Portuguese striker, according to Taylor, is due to be overshadowed tonight by the richly talented Roy McFarland. With Clough still en route from Lisbon, where he mapped out the blueprint for Derby's greatest single challenge since the 1946 Cup Final, Taylor said: I believe McFarland is the greatest player I have even seen —and I reckon I have had a look at them all in - my time. "This is the perfect stage for Roy to prove what I believe. Sir Alf Ramsey is  sold on him and it is matches like this one which will prove it to everybody else.

“You could play him anywhere in any side in the world and he would be the star man. They used to say Sugar Ray Robinson was the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Well I believe in terms of overall skill in any position on the park, Roy McFarland is the best footballer."

Taylor's prediction was spot on over the two legs and McFarland shut out Eusebio completely and he even bagged the first goal of the tie at the sold-out BBG. Happy days.

A very sound assessment by Taylor...Just imagine a Roy McFarland playing on todays pitches...he'd glide through the game like a pristine racehorse, A better CH I've yet to see and I've seen most of em  

3 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

He'd sooner play darts in his local than pull an England shirt on ?Playing wise having said darts in his back pocket with all the attackers he had in there

As I recall Toddy had a couple of seasons with virtually no mistakes and was immaculate along side Pete Daniel in the 2nd Title winning team. Good arrows ?

18 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Todd is literally the best player I've ever seen with Charlie a close second. 

His lack of caps was largely down to being played out of position and his face not fitting. 

I tend to agree on King Kev, but not sure what Toddy's weaknesses were. 

Todd and Nish both set records but you don't think they'd get half of what Grealish went for?

Edited by Bob The Badger