Why is it OK to support non-hometown team but...

BaaLocks

After England, I always want the other home nations to do well, including Eire.

Always think of the big Western European teams as our main rivals, France, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Obviously like Croatia, plus some of those other more Eastern European teams who were good when I was a kid. Czechs, Bulgaria and Turkey.

Never a big fan of Brazil, get fed up of people thinking they are this amazingly succesful and wonderful team, even though they haven't been exciting since I can remember.

Like Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. Generally like to see them challenge the European big teams.

Still like Cameroon after Italia 90

I don't support any national side.

If there's a Derby player currently playing for one I'll wan't them to do well, although I'm not too bothered with Poland/Bielik as he'll likely be gone before we ever see him at PPS again.

Chances of player featuring regularly for England whilst a Derby County player are slim to none, it's never been the case in my lifetime so I've never really found myself wanting England to win for that reason, and I simply feel no natural affinity to the national side. It's not in my brain or my heart.

When we've had U21 England internationals I have wanted them to win but I've often found myself being more frustrated that the Derby player isn't being allowed to play in a way that shows their talent than anytninft else (this misuse of Will Hughes at that level, grrrr). I was pleased as punch for Paul Simpson when he won a championship with one of the youth sides.

If there's an underdog story or a 'shock' victory to be had I'll usually root for them (whoever it is, even other UK nations) temporarily, but couldn't give a damn about them long term, and if they're utterly hopeless / play crap negative football in the game in question the deal's off altogether anyway.

If I'm watching a game in which England are widely expected to win I'd actually prefer England not to win (although I'm not actively cheering on the opposition, it's just whatever happens happens, you know). Sorry! 

I do find the outrage when they lose oddly amusing tbh, I might have a little smile to myself about it but I'm not whooping in delight or owt.

On 25/11/2022 at 09:18, TimRam said:

I have Canadian cousins so watching them with interest in the World Cup. They did deserve a draw the other night and with better finishing might have got the win.

My old uni mate is Canadian so I’d like them to do well. They played brilliantly in that game. I was really impressed.

On 24/11/2022 at 19:20, BaaLocks said:

We have fans on here from Iceland, London and further afield and we're happy to have them. There are lots of Liverpool, Man Utd etc fans from Surrey, Hampshire and the like.

Yet the concept of someone supporting a national team other then your own is completely alien. Why is that? The logic isn't any different to an Arsenal fan from the Midlands who "loved watching Denis Bergkamp" and it went from there". But if a friend of mine said "I'm a Brazil fan because I like them" I'd think them a bit weird.

I worked with a guy once who supported the West Indies at cricket.

He was a white guy with white ancestry who'd never even been to the Caribbean, he just liked fast bowling.

He was a bit of. a knob now I think about it.

20 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I’ve never been that bothered about international football but can remember loving watching the Dutch teams of 1974 and ‘78 and being mortified they didn’t win either. Probably some of the best football I’ve seen played . 

It was made even worse by the fact that they lost to WestGermany and then Argentina.

It would be like me watching Blackpool get beaten in successive FA Cup Finals by Leeds and Forest. 

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I didn't mean that.

Eire (including that spelling which isn't true to Gaelic) is the name the British imposed on the Irish when they (the Irish) wanted to call it Ireland. 

TBH, I always want Ireland to do well too. 

I had no idea, I thought it was just the Irish name for Ireland. I better learn this stuff for when I eventually get round to getting an Irish passport!

On 25/11/2022 at 14:15, ariotofmyown said:

After England, I always want the other home nations to do well, including Eire.

Always think of the big Western European teams as our main rivals, France, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Obviously like Croatia, plus some of those other more Eastern European teams who were good when I was a kid. Czechs, Bulgaria and Turkey.

Never a big fan of Brazil, get fed up of people thinking they are this amazingly succesful and wonderful team, even though they haven't been exciting since I can remember.

Like Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. Generally like to see them challenge the European big teams.

Still like Cameroon after Italia 90

The last Brazil side I can remember being really decent got beat By France in 1986.

Shopping in town today I noticed a few Derby badges, bobble hats, shirts and actually mentioned to the missus that its nice to see the Rams logo rather than seeing Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal shirts like you do in most other city centres.

Then I saw a late 20s something with a man bun hairstyle and a Stoke shirt, in the Intu/Derbion centre. WTF?

I really wanted to do a Seth Johnson type tackle on him right in front of Boots by the Christmas tree thing.