RIP Dennis Cross

Uttoxram62

5 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

A hard core of 60+, Took over London at Euro 96, An estimated 200 Derby lads there.

When Danny Dyer did his Hooligan programmes a lot weren't happy when ventured/invited into the Neptune, Some did it for the glory of TV, Others thought it was a silly exercise.

well, I believe that the first attempt at filming the Derby/DLF section was scuppered as the cameraman allegedly got coked off his tits and misplaced the camera! They apparently had to do it again another day, in a different pub with some different 'hooligans'.

Think they filmed some of the original segment in the Dog and Partridge in Stockbrook area.

38 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well, I believe that the first attempt at filming the Derby/DLF section was scuppered as the cameraman allegedly got coked off his tits and misplaced the camera! They apparently had to do it again another day, in a different pub with some different 'hooligans'.

Think they filmed some of the original segment in the Dog and Partridge in Stockbrook area.

That would be the Rowditch mob.

I didn't hear about the camara man "charlie" incident?but knowing a good few who drink in the Nep...getting hold of the stuff was as easy as getting a smile out of Kirky when he' puts his beer prices up.

Dennis was a good man by and a too lad - A true gentleman and the communities he lived in lived him - he looked out for anyone and everyone and nothing was too much if he could help people out. Not everyone saw this side of him and many focused on his notoriety in other aspects. A genuine lovable rogue,  I considered him my friend and he will be dearly missed by so many people who’s life he touched. 
Rest in peace big man ??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, 68 Guns said:

Are we talking about the same Dennis Cross? The hooligan? The guy that helped us watch football from benind the cages? Are we actually celebrating his life? The Thug. His type put the game back years. I always preferred to watch the football if truth be known. |You know, being a football fan and all that

DC was a "football hooligan" that's for sure, So was I and 1000s of others, Maybe you could say It was a product of Thatcherism for organised football hooliganism in the 80s...But then it all started in the 30s in the London Docks with Millwall and West Ham, So Thatcher only takes a little credit.

Maybe you've been lucky enough not to get cornered in a bar where other fans want to kick the living shyte out of you, Then walks in DC and a few more and the cavalry are here, He wasn't a bully(not that I'm aware of)he's done some damn stupid things of which he paid for, But one things for sure I'd sooner DC at my side than the official football hooligans that were the Police. 

Enjoy your Xmas

Football hooliganism had nothing whatsoever to do with ‘Thatcherism’ it was well and truly started before the 1980’s. The hooligans themselves were young men who enjoyed the adrenaline rush of a tear up. That was attached to football for a while but it’s part of human nature, there will always be a proportion of young guys who like a bit of aggro. They grow out of it and are replaced on the conveyor belt. Thankfully there isn’t much of a hooligan element attached to football nowadays but it isn’t far below the surface. When you go away with Derby it’s obvious that there are quite a lot of young lads that wouldn’t take much encouraging to get involved

7 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Football hooliganism had nothing whatsoever to do with ‘Thatcherism’ it was well and truly started before the 1980’s. The hooligans themselves were young men who enjoyed the adrenaline rush of a tear up. That was attached to football for a while but it’s part of human nature, there will always be a proportion of young guys who like a bit of aggro. They grow out of it and are replaced on the conveyor belt. Thankfully there isn’t much of a hooligan element attached to football nowadays but it isn’t far below the surface. When you go away with Derby it’s obvious that there are quite a lot of young lads that wouldn’t take much encouraging to get involved

"Organised" believe me, I was at the forefront, When the Old Bill were dishing the shyte out...we got organised, Thatchers patrol men were given what we were given.

In the 70s it was the younger who wanted to fight, In the 80s those younger ones were older and wiser?

Edited by Unlucky Alf

22 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

"Organised" believe me, I was at the forefront, When the Old Bill were dishing the shyte out...we got organised, Thatchers patrol men were given what we were given.

In the 70s it was the younger who wanted to fight, In the 80s those younger ones were older and wiser?

One of my wife's friends got married to an ex-Divisional Commander of the SPG/TSG. We met up with them and an ex-colleague who was going to be his Best Man. They were full of stories of the 'fun' they used to have with football supporters. When they retired the LVA in Hammersmith & Fulham threw a big send-off party for them - it was a thank you for all of the times they'd kettled football fans in their pubs to stop them going to games - the Landlords businesses boomed!

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

One of my wife's friends got married to an ex-Divisional Commander of the SPG/TSG. We met up with them and an ex-colleague who was going to be his Best Man. They were full of stories of the 'fun' they used to have with football supporters. When they retired the LVA in Hammersmith & Fulham threw a big send-off party for them - it was a thank you for all of the times they'd kettled football fans in their pubs to stop them going to games - the Landlords businesses boomed!

Oh yes, Not one of ours complained when we were "Kettled" it happened at Watford...then when it started to get a little nasty with the Landlord and his staff fearing for their safety the Police took us through an ally between 2 allotments, Our Docs were ruined ??

Also a whack on the back or a thump at the side of the head was common practice, In our defence there were most often more of us than them and things were evened out, If you were clumped in London, Retribution was the next match where ever in England...as they said ACAB ?