Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

18 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You do know we haven’t  scored an away goal in League 1 this season in 4 games in which we got 2 points 

In the summer I wanted to sign a top striker, however, that wasn't possible given how late we came to a position where we could start signing free agents and also because we are blocked from making actual transfers for what 2 years?

For me a top striker in League one, is someone capable of scoring at least 18 goals in the season.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-warne-link-huddersfield-town-25074921.amp

Warne dennies interest in championship club Huddersfield job, so why would he be interested in Derby, given our current position, in League one.

The press, have selected a target, given that they have heard a rumour that lr, has been removed from his management duties at Derby.

I've previously gone on record saying that I didn't think that lr was the right man for the job, but he surprised me by winning the last game and he did so by doing something that I wanted him to do. He changed tactics during the game and he won that game.

A great manager in my opinion, is an adaptable one, who learns from his mistakes.

Half way through the summer we didn't have a team that would qualify to play in the league, 10+ players later and given no transfer budget, we are in a different position.

It takes time for thar many players to work together well as a team, and yet through lr leadership, they have.

I believe that under lr's management, we would win the next two games, taking us back in to the higher end of the play off positions.

I see us finishing the season in the play off positions.

Sheffield wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth remain the 3 clubs in my opinion who are most likely to be in the automatic promotion places.

We are not guaranteed to sign a better manager than lr.

I think that lr will only get better with time.

If a better manager was ready to sign a contract at the club, then maybe, but who is that better manager.

If lr has a better offer from another club, then that's different again, and I'd call the club foolish for not offering the perm role to lr sooner.

I think that lr should be the manager on a perm basis, given his current form. I would however, like to see him given an experienced older experienced manager as a deputy, to help guide him.

Or you could just appoint someone who actually has that experience. Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, Oldben said:

In the summer I wanted to sign a top striker, however, that wasn't possible given how late we came to a position where we could start signing free agents and also because we are blocked from making actual transfers for what 2 years?

For me a top striker in League one, is someone capable of scoring at least 18 goals in the season.

I’m very relaxed about Warne if it is him .

I think it’s too early for Liam as Number 1. 
I hope he stays though .

Top Strikers are a very important commodity in football I agree .

46 minutes ago, ashram said:

Sorry but WTAF! is wrong with our club and the people who run it/own it?

Rotherham's manager!! Rotherham!!!

Liam Rosenior has spent the summer assembling a very decent squad in L1 or indeed the Championship.

And we sit essentially in the play-offs, and with not even 10 games played he's moved aside(unless he doesn't want the gig?)

Utterly ridiculous. I could maybe... just maybe...? understand if Arsene Wenger or some other managerial legend was making a come back?

But a guy who bounces his team between L1 and the Championship. Madness!!

However I suppose that after 50+ years supporting this great club I shouldn't expect anything different!

I’d rather have a guy who knows how to get out of L1 (3x) than a guy who is learning on the job. 

We have back room staff that are also learning on the job. The mix just wasn’t right and Clowes has made a shrewd move for a manager who on paper knows what he’s doing and has a team to back that up. 

21 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Given his current form hiw can you say that we would be barely hitting playoffs we should be looking for automatic promotion teams have already worked us out, i would love to see LR stay on at the club but just feel like he will never make a manager just always be a very good number 2 just like stevie mac 

I think lr will proof derby wrong, as he will be a manager at another club.

Will be interesting to see if that happens, in my opinion hes done the best he could, with a team of free agents.

Free agent by definition means, a player another team doesn't want, often through by being older players or simply not good enough. If you have a transfer budget, is your team, largely staffed with free agents.

Lr brought in some quality free agents, who under his leadership, have largely worked out. They've bonded as a team in record time.

Warnes had a transfer budget at Rotherham, I think a decent size transfer budget?

2 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I think lr will proof derby wrong, as he will be a manager at another club.

Will be interesting to see if that happens, in my opinion hes done the best he could, with a team of free agents.

Free agent by definition means, a player another team doesn't want, often through by being older players or simply not good enough. If you have a transfer budget, is your team, largely staffed with free agents.

Lr brought in some quality free agents, who under his leadership, have largely worked out. They've bonded as a team in record time.

Warnes had a transfer budget at Rotherham, I think a decent size transfer budget?

Warne has a track record of getting out of League 1 on a fairly low budget. 

6 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Rotherham have managed 1 goal and 3 draws in 4 away games this season.

Whilst they probably have the smallest budget in the Championship…

I think it’s more comparable to look at what his away record was with Rotherham last year, which was 3rd best in the league with 42 points.

If we got 42 points away from home this season then I’d be fairly confident we would be promoted as our home form isn’t a problem. 

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I’m very relaxed about Warne if it is him .

I think it’s too early for Liam as Number 1. 
I hope he stays though .

Top Strikers are a very important commodity in football I agree .

I think the top strikers evident via looking at the top strikers in League one last season, looking at players who scored at least 16 goals in a season and comparing that with the top 5 teams in League one last season.

For me warnes, been a yoyo manager bouncing around between League one and the championship. Only this season is he doing OK in 8th place. The other seasons in the Championship, Rotherham finished by relegation plus he had a transfer budget throughout those seasons.

How is it possible for Liam to remain as a coach. His possession based style passing around in front of  own goal allowing other teams to high press seems at odds with Warne’s more direct approach of trying to get the ball into the opposition danger areas and score goals.

Liam has been coaching that way since Cocu . He will have to change or Warne will? Hope it’s the former

Edited by StrawHillRam

Just now, Oldben said:

I think the top strikers evident via looking at the top strikers in League one last season, looking at players who scored at least 16 goals in a season and comparing that with the top 5 teams in League one last season.

For me warnes, been a yoyo manager bouncing around between League one and the championship. Only this season is he doing OK in 8th place. The other seasons in the Championship, Rotherham finished by relegation plus he had a transfer budget throughout those seasons.

Time will tell if Warne is appointed.

It’s David Clowes decision.

His money is on the line not ours 

27 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Didn't LR recruit most of the players we have? I think recruitment under WR and then LR has been good considering, so I hope we can carry that on. If LR leaves who will we have on the recruitment team? 

Also a continuity problem if a lot of players were LR's men and they don't gel with Warne. We had that before with MM's revolving door, but now we haven't got the budget to keep misfits in the reserves.  

All this is if's and but's. We have no clue if they will adapt to Warne's style of play, nor do we know what Warne's style of play will be. Maybe what he implemented at Rotherham was down to the ressources he had available to him, no one really knows apart from the man himself. 
What is certain, this bloke has got 3 promotions from L1 quite a few as Champions. I for one am prepared to give him a go.

Just now, StrawHillRam said:

How is it possible for Liam to remain as a coach. His possession based style passing around in front of  own goal allowing other teams to high press seems at odds with Warne’s more direct approach of trying to get the ball into the opposition danger areas and score goals.

Liam has been coaching that way since Coco. He will have to change or Warne will? Hope it’s the former

I presume you mean playing side to side from Wildsmith to Davies to Cashin to Wildsmith isn’t ideal in League 1 

6 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I’d rather have a guy who knows how to get out of L1 (3x) than a guy who is learning on the job. 

We have back room staff that are also learning on the job. The mix just wasn’t right and Clowes has made a shrewd move for a manager who on paper knows what he’s doing and has a team to back that up. 

Everybody knows how to get into the league above...Win games!

Can he do it with a team he didn't assemble. I sincerely hope so.

Any manager that takes over this club has my backing(for whatever that's worth?) but I really question his appointment if it happens of course? And I question it mainly because this club needs stability, but also because like all of us I'd rather be bouncing between the Premiership and the Championship than League 1 and the Championship? So I question whether he has the proven ability for that?

But hey welcome aboard and I wish him all the best.

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Different League mate .

League 1 is lower standard .

Warne also lost loads of players like Derby 

Are you really trying to push an argument that Warne has faced challenges at Rotherham this season that are similar to those faced by Liam at Derby. I doubt Warne had a squad of 5 players on 1st July.

Rotherham's away form this season is only marginally better than Derby's and yet an argument is being made that it is right to replace Liam as our away form isn't good enough. If poor away form is the problem then Warne doesn't seem the obvious answer.

Well, I'm certainly rather happy about this, if many others seem apoplectic.

Everyone continues to stress how much of a 'nice guy' Liam was and yet Millers fans would say exactly the same about Warne. Regardless, being "nice" doesn't make one a good manager. I'd also argue that Rosenior didn't convince me with the way he spoke about the game, as others suggest he did for them.

Also, whilst we could agree that LR was learning, I'd argue it was too slowly. That sounds laughable considering how short a stint he has had as interim manager but he himself has vehemently defended the pathetic decision to fanny about at the back. He was proud of it, yet it couldn't be more clear that this was a foolish move. That is gravely concerning, in regards to LR's future as a competent manager. PW has learned well and Rotherham fans mostly adore him.

Fans will always find things to moan about but so many have been so right in pointing out our failings and imbalances this season and yet a stubborn LR persisted with poor team structures and naive tactical decisions. Again, nothing here shows LR will make a good manager.

So, we come to 'style of play' and I feel we've been quite unanimous in thinking that although we've shown brilliance at times this season, we've played the ball too slowly and predictably too often. Again, in an early interview, LR said we needed to be "more patient" (MORE?!).

For what it's worth, whilst Rotherham tend to play direct, their passages of play can vary and there are many Rotherham fans saying they liked the football their team displayed. I'd take only conceding 11 goals away all season in League 1, as Rotherham did. We might steal some wins away from home then ?

But in all seriousness, I hope this has been agreed (allegedly we approached PW before their game against Boro) and he brings his backroom staff too. Onwards and upwards. I'm even more excited for the rest of the season now. Bring it on!

13 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Whilst they probably have the smallest budget in the Championship…

I think it’s more comparable to look at what his away record was with Rotherham last year, which was 3rd best in the league with 42 points.

If we got 42 points away from home this season then I’d be fairly confident we would be promoted as our home form isn’t a problem. 

Agree with you on this.

But if Warne doesn't start getting the away form sorted then questions should be asked.

39 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Didn't LR recruit most of the players we have? I think recruitment under WR and then LR has been good considering, so I hope we can carry that on. If LR leaves who will we have on the recruitment team? 

Also a continuity problem if a lot of players were LR's men and they don't gel with Warne. We had that before with MM's revolving door, but now we haven't got the budget to keep misfits in the reserves.  

Can't see that any of them will be on huge wages, nor long contracts.

They came here for 'the project', which exists whoever is in charge.