Bring Back Rooney

sage

We needed to make changes as we had lost the flow of the game as it was, but the subs made completely confused our shape. The obvious choice was to straight swap Sibley for Didzy and then go with Dobbin for Barkhuizen if you wanted to keep it the same. The real change would’ve been Roberts for Fozzy though. Thompson confused things, and Hourihane and Sibley both looked lost as they both wanted to play centrally and not out wide. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

We needed to make changes as we had lost the flow of the game as it was, but the subs made completely confused our shape. The obvious choice was to straight swap Sibley for Didzy and then go with Dobbin for Barkhuizen if you wanted to keep it the same. The real change would’ve been Roberts for Fozzy though. Thompson confused things, and Hourihane and Sibley both looked lost as they both wanted to play centrally and not out wide. 

Trying to view the whole season/project/mere survival as something in which to enjoy seeing the progress, rather than getting too hung up on results (which is easier to say than to do after throwing away a 2-goal lead at home) so I was interested at the switch to bring on Thompson and to change the shape. I don't think Thompson has hit the ground running this season and as a youngster is still likely to make mistakes, and I feared that it wouldn't come off - but then last week Rosenior took off his captain and centre-forward and it paid off, so I half-expected Thompson and the 3-man midfield to be a masterstroke. On reflection, I think you're right that it didn't work, but credit to Plymouth - they always seemed to move the ball into dangerous areas and to anticipate team-mates' runs to receive them.

Thompson didn't do anything wrong on the ball today (still tending to look backwards but how much is instinct and how much instruction?) and I thought Bird stepped it up a bit after his introduction, but it wasn't a great game for Hourihane, although I didn't think he was dragged particularly wide, more that his decision-making wasn't always that good. Sibley did OK, I thought, albeit he's more of a threat when he can go either way (in the role McGoldrick had first-half, which he played very well).