Rate the Transfer Business

Day

Rate the Transfer Business  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Solid 9 for me.  As others have said, an experienced RB and it would be a 10.  From where we were to now is a world apart.  We’ve not signed players for the sake of it, which is probably why we didn’t get a RB, and brought in some quality at this level, all for free.  And kept hold of those under contract and renewed key players too.

After typing that I think I’ve been harsh with a 9!!

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

We’ve signed three keepers.

Six players, Collins, Smith, McGoldrick, Mendez-Laing, Hourihane and Chester, anyone of which would probably get into any other team in this league.

We’ve managed to keep Knight, Bird, Cashin, Sibley, Davies, Thompson, Stearman and Forsyth.

We’ve signed youngsters Oduroh, Rooney plus Dobbin, Osula and Roberts on loan and Tom Barkhuizen on a two year deal.

Considering that just a few weeks back we were on the verge of handing the club to Kirchner, had five players under contract and no pre season preparations the performances so far are to quote a well known ex manager of this famous football club “nothing short of remarkable”.

…………….it’s a 10 from me!

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

Lots of consensus in these comments. The only blemish is the lack of a RB, but I’d deduct only half a mark for that given how well we’ve done elsewhere.

One positive feature which I haven’t seen celebrated enough is the fact we got our business done so early. It means we’ve picked up more early points than we otherwise might, fitness levels are up to speed quicker, we’re gelling sooner etc.

I wonder if the transfer business has, in some ways, been made easier by the financial limits? It means you’re signing players that want to sign for Derby, rather than sign for the money. I hope that leads to a strong character and spirit through the squad. A thin silver lining on a very large cloud, perhaps?

I still say the fans had a big part to play in our transfer business. Playing in front of 26,000+ passionate fans is a huge draw for players, compared with other league 1 and lower half championship teams. Particular when wages are capped!

Now the first window is out the way, it’s going to be interesting to see the club’s transfer strategy, both during and after business plan. We’ll have lots of contracts expiring simultaneously, in 12 and 24 months- but at least the club will have time to plan!

43 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Anyone owning up to the 4? I scored it 8 so more than happy, would have been higher had we managed to get an experienced RB to give LR the option of using JK in midfield but that might yet happen depending who's available and out of contract.

Four is amazing. What levels of expectation did that person have?

i was very worried after the first few signings because they seemed to be ageing players that will be on big money. But since then we have built around that with younger players and kept our better players that we could.

i think its been a massive success and the pressure will be on LR to get the playoffs at the least now. 

compare what we started the window with an ended it with its been a massive turnaround really.

my only concern is approaching the winter months when the depth & minutes in the older legs will really be tested on some dour pitches. It will be a different ball game when all the pitches are in tatters because of the weather and we can't play controlled football.

Edited by alram

53 minutes ago, alram said:

i was very worried after the first few signings because they seemed to be ageing players that will be on big money. But since then we have built around that with younger players and kept our better players that we could.

i think its been a massive success and the pressure will be on LR to get the playoffs at the least now. 

compare what we started the window with an ended it with its been a massive turnaround really.

my only concern is approaching the winter months when the depth & minutes in the older legs will really be tested on some dour pitches. It will be a different ball game when all the pitches are in tatters because of the weather and we can't play controlled football.

You should have listened to any one of the 100 forum members who told you every day that the squad will be more balanced by the end of the season...

I went for 9. Think we needed an experienced right back and possibly another winger to rotate with Dobbin, NML and Barkhuisen. 

But it was always going to be difficult to find a right back of sufficient quality whether it be a loan or free, that would be better than Knight and not hinder Oduroh's development, on 8/9k a week. 

We've brought in some players with serious quality and retained Bird, Sibley and Knight, all whilst working within a EFL business plan. We now have a team capable of competing at the top end of the table, which is ridiculous given where we were a few months ago. That said, the need for another RB was clear so it 'only' gets a 9/10 from me. I'm absolutely loving this season to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Another assessment

Wildsmith 8 Loach 7 Agnang n/a 

Roberts 7 Udoruh 7 

Rooney 8 Chester n/a 

Hourihane 7 Smith 7 

NML 8 Barkhuzien 7 Dobbin 7 

Collins 7 Osula n/a 

*Anang *Oduroh *Barkhuizen

McGoldrick

Davues, Stearman, Forsyth, Cashin and Tommo signing deals

Retaining Bird, Knight and Sibley 

I think the thing that can't be understated is how quickly and effectively we went about our very early business. 

That was absolutely crucial as it settled the whole club down, gave reassurances to the squad we had left and gave us something to work on in preseason to provide a platform for the season. 

We could have easily collapsed into the season with half existing team propped up by u21s who aren't ready. And it would have been demoralising all around. 

Beside I think the business we've done has been very good considering everything and I feel its as close to perfect as we perhaps could have expected.