Derby County V Mansfield Town: Player Ratings

Ellafella

Rate 1-10. Half marks allowed. Please rate all subs. Ratings close 6pm Thursday. Full analysis by 10 pm Thursday. 

* Indicate if watching at the game or listening on radio. 

Wildsmith. 

Oduroh

Stearman.  

Cashin. 

Forsyth.

Rooney. 

Smith. 

Sibley.

Dobbin. 

Knight. 

Thompson. 

Subs:

Burkheuizen.

NML.

Collins.

Hourihane. 

Wildsmith.  8 - some good saves. MOTM. 

Oduroh. 5 - Good to get the start under his belt. Seemed nervy and a bit erratic.

Stearman.  5. Iffy at times against a lively Swan.

Cashin. 6. Did a job. 

Forsyth. 7

Rooney. 7.5 Very promising at CDM. 

Smith.  6. Goes under the radar. Still getting fitness. 

Sibley. 7.5 Cutting edge but seemed to lose his cool under Mansfield close attention. 

Dobbin. 7.5 Lively. Should've scored. Showing great promise. 

Knight.  7 Another non-stop shift. Should've scored.

Thompson. 5. Quiet. 

Subs:

Burkheuizen. 7.5 Impact sub. Scored the goal that put us through.

NML. 7.5 Great cross as impact sub. In a rich vein of form. 

Collins. Unlucky. Goal ruled out. This chap is minutes away from opening his account. 

Hourihane. Steadied the ship. Showed intelligent running when coming on. 

* based on radio commentary. 

Just now, Ellafella said:

Wildsmith.  8 - some good saves. MOTM. 

Oduroh. 5 - Good to get the start under his belt. Seemed nervy and a bit erratic.

Stearman.  5. Iffy at times against a lively Swan. #

Cashin. 6. Did a job. 

Forsyth. 7

Rooney. 7.5 Very promising at CDM. 

Smith.  6. Goes under the radar. Still getting fitness. 

Sibley. 7.5 Cutting edge but seemed to lose his cool under Mansfield close attention. 

Dobbin. 7.5 Lively. Should've scored. Showing great promise. 

Knight.  7 Another non-stop shift. Should've scored.

Thompson. 5. Quiet. 

Subs:

Burkheuizen. 7.5 Impact sub. Scored the goal that put us through.

NML. 7.5 Great cross as impact sub. In a rich vein of form. 

Collins. Unlucky. Goal ruled out. This chap is minutes away from opening his account. 

Hourihane. Steadied the ship. Showed intelligent running when coming on. 

* based on radio commentary. 

# I know, Mansfield are short of players but have no shortage  of river birds to choose from. ?

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Wildsmith.  6

Oduroh 5

Stearman.  4

Cashin. 6

Forsyth. 5

Rooney. 7

Smith. 6

Sibley. 7

Dobbin. 6.5

Knight. 6.5

Thompson. 5

Subs:

Burkheuizen. 7

NML. 7

Collins. 7

Hourihane. 5

At the game.

A Mansfield fan at the station afterwards was raving about Dobbin, and his ability to occupy multiple defenders, creating space for others to play in, so I added an extra .5 mark to his score.

Yeah thanks for doing this @Ellafella as a season ticket holder I'll rate all the home games on the day, as @Carl Sagan says though I can't rate players based on what the radio tells me. 

Fortunately, I've recently picked up RamsTV to watch all the away games as well ? I did miss the cut-off for Charlton though by half an hour as I didn't get chance to sit down and watch it until Monday night.  I realize I'm probably in a very small minority that watch full games despite knowing the result (especially after a defeat!) but I'd rather do that than go on what the commentators think.

I'll try and watch this game in time to submit my ratings!

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Wildsmith 7

Oduroh 6

Stearman 6

Cashin 7.5

Forsyth 7

Rooney 7.5

Smith 6.5

Sibley 8

Dobbin 7

Knight 7

Thompson 6

Subs:

Barkheuizen 7

NML 8

Collins 7.5

Hourihane 6

At the game.

Love you, Ellafella, but any chance you can bin the full stops after everyone's names? ??

@angieramyour wish…is my command. ?

Wildsmith               7

Odura                     5

Stearman                6

Cashin                      7

Fozzy                       6.5

Rooney                     7

Smith                        6

Knight                       7

Thompson                6

Sibley                       7

Dobbin                       7

Nml                           7.5

Barkhuizen                7

Collins                       6.5

Hourihane                 6

At game.       

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Wildsmith 7

Oduroh 6

Stearman 6

Cashin 7.5

Forsyth 7

Rooney 7.5

Smith 6.5

Sibley 8

Dobbin 7

Knight 7

Thompson 6

Subs:

Barkheuizen 7

NML 8

Collins 7.5

Hourihane 6

At the game.

Love you, Ellafella, but any chance you can bin the full stops after everyone's names? ??

This is the problem when listening to the radio as purely from what they say Rooney and Sibley were stand out for long periods so prob the same score, yet Smith and Thompson barely mentioned so not involved,  therefore assume have poor games and would be lower, but they may have marked a player out of the game, or made runs that opened up the space for others and influenced the game that way.

Otherwise I think these scores are what it 'sounded' like on the radio

Problem with radio comms these days is they dont really paint a picture of what is happening in the right kind of detail, Graham Richards was amazing at that. Listening to Dawes it sounds like nothing is even happening then a goal goes in and I have no idea of how it came about. Lot of the time I struggle to follow where the ball is on the pitch or who has possession. Hard to rate players on commentary really.

Edited by tomsdubs

Wildsmith- 7.5

Oduroh- 6.5

Stearman- 6

Cashin- 7

Forsyth- 6

Rooney- 7.5

Smith- 6

Sibley- 8

Dobbin- 7

Knight- 6.5

Thompson- 6

Barkhuizen- 7

NML- 7

Collins-6.5

Hourihane- 5.5

12 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Problem with radio comms these days is they dont really paint a picture of what is happening in the right kind of detail, Graham Richards was amazing at that. Listening to Dawes it sounds like nothing is even happening then a goal goes in and I have no idea of how it came about. Lot of the time I struggle to follow where the ball is on the pitch or who has possession. Hard to rate players on commentary really.

Commentary on the Radio Derby last night was excellent: Martin Fisher and Jamie Ward gave a very good account of the game as it unfolded. MF described the action as it flowed and it was clear who was involved by the frequency with which players names were used: eg first 10 minutes Rooney, Dobbin, Oduroh, Knight featured quite a lot as did Wildsmith. From that you can glean who is getting involved in the game early on. Rooney started very well. Dobbin was clearly a threat. other players got seldom mentions eg Thompson. Forsyth was also a rare mention. Admittedly, radio is more of a filter than say TV, but then again our own filters of perception also give a distorted view. So, whilst I accept that player ratings based on the radio is somewhat unreliable, we should get an averaging effect of a number of different ratings supplied by different fans. 

The distorting effect of our own perceptual filters and our own player biases is something I will investigate statistically as we compile ratings this season. It will make for a very interesting study as the numbers grow. 

Despite all of the above, it is clear to us all who the form players are right now.  BTW, any of you of a betting persuasion, put money on Collins being the Rams FGS on Saturday - he has done everything but score in 3 games and don't forget CM19 took 10 games until he opened his account {v Leicester at home IIRR). **

** "On 22 February 2013, Martin joined Derby County on loan for an initial one-month period.[48] Martin made his Derby debut in a 2–1 loss at Watford on 23 February, as a half time substitute for Michael Jacobs.[49] Martin started his first game for Derby on 1 March, in a 1–0 home defeat to former club Crystal Palace.[50] He scored his first goal for Derby in the final game of his initial month, the club's second in their 2–1 win over local rivals Leicester City on 16 March.[51"

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Commentary on the Radio Derby last night was excellent: Martin Fisher and Jamie Ward gave a very good account of the game as it unfolded. MF described the action as it flowed and it was clear who was involved by the frequency with which players names were used: eg first 10 minutes Rooney, Dobbin, Oduroh, Knight featured quite a lot as did Wildsmith. From that you can glean who is getting involved in the game early on. Rooney started very well. Dobbin was clearly a threat. other players got seldom mentions eg Thompson. Forsyth was also a rare mention. Admittedly, radio is more of a filter than say TV, but then again our own filters of perception also give a distorted view. So, whilst I accept that player ratings based on the radio is somewhat unreliable, we should get an averaging effect of a number of different ratings supplied by different fans. 

The distorting effect of our own perceptual filters and our own player biases is something I will investigate statistically as we compile ratings this season. It will make for a very interesting study as the numbers grow. 

Despite all of the above, it is clear to us all who the form players are right now.  BTW, any of you of a betting persuasion, put money on Collins being the Rams FGS on Saturday - he has done everything but score in 3 games and don't forget CM19 took 10 games until he opened his account {v Leicester at home IIRR). **

** "On 22 February 2013, Martin joined Derby County on loan for an initial one-month period.[48] Martin made his Derby debut in a 2–1 loss at Watford on 23 February, as a half time substitute for Michael Jacobs.[49] Martin started his first game for Derby on 1 March, in a 1–0 home defeat to former club Crystal Palace.[50] He scored his first goal for Derby in the final game of his initial month, the club's second in their 2–1 win over local rivals Leicester City on 16 March.[51"

I thought Martin Fisher was good to be fair, I assume he's just filling in?

If I remember correctly Steve Howard also took a while to get off the mark and look how good he turned out to be.

39 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Wildsmith- 7.5

Oduroh- 6.5

Stearman- 6

Cashin- 7

Forsyth- 6

Rooney- 7.5

Smith- 6

Sibley- 8

Dobbin- 7

Knight- 6.5

Thompson- 6