TOM CANNON

Arsene Titman

Another player who we should really only be looking to bring in for the U21s imo. Might well be a decent prospect, but he’s played no senior football - he’d be a huge gamble for a first team regular. We need to be selective with the limited loans we can bring in, they’ve got to make a real difference.

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Another player who we should really only be looking to bring in for the U21s imo. Might well be a decent prospect, but he’s played no senior football - he’d be a huge gamble for a first team regular. We need to be selective with the limited loans we can bring in, they’ve got to make a real difference.

Had Mason Mount played any senior football when he came to us? He did alright playing as a Championship regular. We need players for the first team squad maybe coming off the bench , like Sibbo did  on Saturday a fresh pair of legs as well as all the oldies we have. 

Just now, PistoldPete said:

Had Mason Mount played any senior football when he came to us? He did alright playing as a Championship regular. We need players for the first team squad maybe coming off the bench , like Sibbo did  on Saturday a fresh pair of legs as well as all the oldies we have. 

Yes - a very successful loan in Holland. 

Just now, enachops said:

Yes - a very successful loan in Holland. 

Ok but he hadn’t  played for Chelsea’s don’t think. . And we are talking about a player in Cannon ( or Dobbin) who wouldn’t necessarily be a first team regular in league one but would be very useful first team squad member. 

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Yes, he had - a full season with Vitesse, which proved his quality as being a class above the Championship imo. 

Of course we need squad players, not denying the important of that when we’ve got so many games this season. But we’ve already got three strikers for one position in Collins, McGoldrick and Stretton. This only makes sense if we loan Stretton out imo.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes, he had - a full season with Vitesse, which proved his quality as being a class above the Championship imo. 

Of course we need squad players, not denying the important of that when we’ve got so many games this season. But we’ve already got three strikers for one position in Collins, McGoldrick and Stretton. This only makes sense if we loan Stretton out imo.

McGoldrick is more of a 10 than a 9 playing behind the striker. Stretton on evidence isn’t great to have as a second striker. Not to mention there will be cup games where the squad players will get starts. Lots of games this year. Also if we want to throw 2 up front we’re lacking in numbers. 

We basically have 1 striker and 1 winger for each side. The rest are shoe ins playing out of position. McGoldrick is currently injured, if Collins got a knock then Stretton would be our main striker. Worrying thought

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t think Strikers are competing for one position certainly not in every game . Collins is an out and out target man the others are a more versatile. 

45 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

McGoldrick is more of a 10 than a 9 playing behind the striker. Stretton on evidence isn’t great to have as a second striker. Not to mention there will be cup games where the squad players will get starts. Lots of games this year. Also if we want to throw 2 up front we’re lacking in numbers. 

We basically have 1 striker and 1 winger for each side. The rest are shoe ins playing out of position. McGoldrick is currently injured, if Collins got a knock then Stretton would be our main striker. Worrying thought

McGoldrick could play in a two as a 10, but his main position is a lone striker. Rosenior appears to favour 1 up front so that means we’ve got three players for one position, that’s enough imo. If we need to go more attacking within a game and switch to two up front, then McGoldrick is of course the obvious option, while the incoming Dobbin is another. 

That’s enough options at Centre Forward in my view. Like I say, the only way bringing another striker in makes sense is if we loan Stretton out - which I would be in favour of, because I agree he hasn’t looked up to it in pre-season. Otherwise this link and the Joseph one make no sense. We lack wingers at the minute, probably two short (one with Dobbin), not strikers.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

McGoldrick could play in a two as a 10, but his main position is a lone striker. Rosenior appears to favour 1 up front so that means we’ve got three players for one position, that’s enough imo. If we need to go more attacking within a game and switch to two up front, then McGoldrick is of course the obvious option, while the incoming Dobbin is another. 

That’s enough options at Centre Forward in my view. Like I say, the only way bringing another striker in makes sense is if we loan Stretton out - which I would be in favour of, because I agree he hasn’t looked up to it in pre-season. Otherwise this link and the Joseph one make no sense. We lack wingers at the minute, probably two short (one with Dobbin), not strikers.

McGoldrick always played with someone else at Sheff Utd

46 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I don’t think Strikers are competing for one position certainly not in every game . Collins is an out and out target man the others are a more versatile. 

I can’t see us starting many games with anything other than 1 striker, be it 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Collins and Stretton are both out and out number 9s. McGoldrick could play as a 10 in a two, but is also better as a 9 in my view. 3 options for one position is enough.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

True, hence why I said he’s capable of it, but Sheff Utd always played two up front under Wilder. Don’t think he’s played like that for his whole career.

But he did his best at Sheff Utd. He’s only getting older. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

But he did his best at Sheff Utd. He’s only getting older. 

He did very well there, but he also did well at Ipswich too by and large. I’d argue his age lends more to playing him as a lone striker - younger players with pace tend to be better in a two up front, whereas older, stronger and more clever footballers tend to make better number 9’s. From what I’ve seen of McGoldrick, he has all the attributes to make a good withdrawn striker, holding the ball up and linking others into play.

40 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He did very well there, but he also did well at Ipswich too by and large. I’d argue his age lends more to playing him as a lone striker - younger players with pace tend to be better in a two up front, whereas older, stronger and more clever footballers tend to make better number 9’s. From what I’ve seen of McGoldrick, he has all the attributes to make a good withdrawn striker, holding the ball up and linking others into play.

So the role which requires harder work and more graft, is easier when you get older? I’ll be shocked if he plays up front alone unless it’s for injuries. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I can’t see us starting many games with anything other than 1 striker, be it 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Collins and Stretton are both out and out number 9s. McGoldrick could play as a 10 in a two, but is also better as a 9 in my view. 3 options for one position is enough.

McGoldrick doesn’t score enough goals to play as sole striker . He is more of a provider . Collins is our only proven goal scorer at this level so I would expect him to play most games. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

So the role which requires harder work and more graft, is easier when you get older? I’ll be shocked if he plays up front alone unless it’s for injuries. 

For me he is going to be the link that feeds Collins from the centre. AM or No 10 or withdrawn striker, call him what you like. He’s a key that unlocks doors, provides the final ball if you like. It’s what we are missing in my opinion, and have been for some time. 

35 minutes ago, jono said:

For me he is going to be the link that feeds Collins from the centre. AM or No 10 or withdrawn striker, call him what you like. He’s a key that unlocks doors, provides the final ball if you like. It’s what we are missing in my opinion, and have been for some time. 

I agree. That’s exactly what he is.