Match Thread: Rams vs Leicester (Pride Park, today 1pm)

Carl Sagan

14 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Some issues to work on:

1. Midfield

Unbalanced. Knight is too good to waste at FB: we need his energy at right midfield.

2. Chester

Im not seeing a solid CH; I’m seeing a laboured pace with positional questions. 

3. Energy

We need more in midfield. Maybe sore legs from intensive training but not enough today. 

4. Against Hertha I saw a clear shape & method; today that was absent. Good up front but poor linkage between defence and midfield. Both wingers off it today. Some glimpses of knitted-passes at speed but sometimes so hesitant play.

5. I was coached never to play a risky pass in defence: today I saw umpteen. It’s just plain wrong and will cost us goals this season. Just stop it. 

6. No real links to Collins. Our goal was a peach but our usual out ball was speculative & often just lost possession.

The real test of LR is if he fixes these ^ problems or if they persist. 

Plenty of work to do. 

Good summary, Mr Ella!

Further observations I have is that I liked our mental approach, because we played our own game and weren’t in awe of Leicester, despite the huge financial gulf between us. Our playing out from the back was in the most part pretty good, and we didn’t let our first wobble (a miss-kick from the keeper) deter us. We persisted with it, and thankfully seem to have learned to mix it up on occasion, which is good. That we were caught out by it was only a matter of time, given Leicester’s quality. But at that stage the game was already over, courtesy of the second goal. It will probably give us a bite in the glutimus maximus a few times this season, even though it is only League 1.

As will our lack of willingness to shoot. We turned down numerous opportunities, opting for yet another pass, and that could prove more costly than playing out from the back.  But we did score the best goal of the match!

15 hours ago, angieram said:

Don't know why folks are moaning about the Leicester fans, as they turned up in numbers that put quite a bit of money in the kitty.

Thanks! ??

That is true,  the Micky taking is to be expected, and would no doubt be reciprocated.  Although the reported singing about us never being champions of England smacks of ignorance, the sort that is derived from “fans” that think Sky and the Premier League invented football…

I only saw the highlights, was driving back from France yesterday*, otherwise the Lad and I would have gone.  The Barks goal was sublime, and the Leicester 2nd goal had a hint of offside, but I couldn’t honestly say one way or the other from the camera angles available - even using the lines on the pitch from the reverse angle.  The Keeper situation worries me, he could have done better with the first and third IMHO.

* The scenes on the M20 France bound seen from our car leaving the Eurotunnel were horrendous, we counted 19 miles of static lorries being queued by the police at around 5pm. ?.  The French weren’t exactly busting a gut at the frontier either, but you do get a nice stamp in your passport now ?

9 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

I only saw the highlights, was driving back from France yesterday*, otherwise the Lad and I would have gone.  The Barks goal was sublime, and the Leicester 2nd goal had a hint of offside, but I couldn’t honestly say one way or the other from the camera angles available - even using the lines on the pitch from the reverse angle.  The Keeper situation worries me, he could have done better with the first and third IMHO.

* The scenes on the M20 France bound seen from our car leaving the Eurotunnel were horrendous, we counted 19 miles of static lorries being queued by the police at around 5pm. ?.  The French weren’t exactly busting a gut at the frontier either, but you do get a nice stamp in your passport now ?

Plastic fan. True fans would have cancelled their pre existing holidays given the importance of such a local derby.  

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Plastic fan. True fans would have cancelled their pre existing holidays given the importance of such a local derby.  

Well I did book it nearly three years ago, so thought I’d better go… ?

20 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

The French weren’t exactly busting a gut at the frontier either

Who needs a time and motion study when Andrew1 of the DCFC message board can tell you how effective your employees are while driving past on the other side of the M20 ?

1 hour ago, Mihangel said:

Who needs a time and motion study when Andrew1 of the DCFC message board can tell you how effective your employees are while driving past on the other side of the M20 ?

We had just entered by the frontier, and witnessed the queues through passport control on the right as we departed homeward bound, I suppose you would know that being and expert in the eurotunnel terminal layout?  Even though it should have been less than busy when we left A couple of weeks before it was the busiest I have ever seen it, only 30% of the booths were manned on the French side causing chaos in the car park.  We missed our allotted train due to the hold ups caused, even though we arrived 90 mins early.

So sorry to disappoint you with my first hand experience!  Anything else I can help you with?  I would also like to point out I am a Francophile, but even so, I can and do recognise their let’s say “determination to make a point” on occasion…

Edited by Guest

Had a peep on the Foxes forum, a lot of self-entitlement, but several commented on our goal (favourably). A few thought it was a good crowd atmosphere and one of the more enjoyable 'friendlies'.

One comment stood out during one of their better spells. How accurate it is I don't know but he said 'That's what £150 million gets you'.

Comparing that with our £150,000, were they really 1000 times better?

Most Leicester fans I have met have always been pretty sound TBH.  Often chat to one or two on the train from Long Eaton to see the Tigers (my wife and daughters passion more than the Lad’s or mine).  The Derby scarves and hats he and I weargive it away usually!

There will always be the ignorant few of course…

it would be great to draw them or Forest in one of the cups one thinks though…

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Nice to see 2 players closing the keeper down to force the mistake.

SmartSelect_20220724-144559_Twitter.thumb.jpg.80f0cace11a06fa585e54bacda8b6483.jpg

That bit was brilliant,  we said if Derby didn't have bad luck we'd have no luck at all. How did that not go into the net?? 

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

That bit was brilliant,  we said if Derby didn't have bad luck we'd have no luck at all. How did that not go into the net?? 

I dont know and never will do you think we can get there keeper on loan.

5 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

Most Leicester fans I have met have always been pretty sound TBH.  Often chat to one or two on the train from Long Eaton to see the Tigers (my wife and daughters passion more than the Lad’s or mine).  The Derby scarves and hats he and I weargive it away usually!

There will always be the ignorant few of course…

it would be great to draw them or Forest in one of the cups one thinks though…

you must not work with any then! 

2 hours ago, alram said:

you must not work with any then! 

I have done, and Gumps too.  I went to school in Long Eaton many moons ago, so generally water off a ducks back…

On 24/07/2022 at 10:19, Andrew1 said:

That is true,  the Micky taking is to be expected, and would no doubt be reciprocated.  Although the reported singing about us never being champions of England smacks of ignorance, the sort that is derived from “fans” that think Sky and the Premier League invented football…

The song, as I'd hope someone has already pointed out, is "Champions of England, you made us sing that", a song in the memory of Vichai, hence the song starting with "Vichai had a dream...".

Watching it back i think we did mostly ok here. 

Main takeaway for me is that the balance of the midfield "3" didnt look right. Hourihane and Smith werent finding space as much as you would want them to do nor were they linking as well as you'd like. Hard to say how much of that is personal and how much is getting used to things tactically. 

The other takeaway we'd often break down play on the left hand side. This is related to the above and Hourihane perhaps not showing for the ball enough. But I think it could be helped by having a left footed cb there just so the ball shifts on faster out of the back.

Little disappointed by Chester on the ball because I thought he'd be a bit better than he's showed so far in that regard.

1 hour ago, babylon said:

The song, as I'd hope someone has already pointed out, is "Champions of England, you made us sing that", a song in the memory of Vichai, hence the song starting with "Vichai had a dream...".

I think in the fa cup game when we played you 4 or 5 years ago, leicester fans did sing “champions of England you’ll never sing that” in the style of ‘champions of Europe you’ll never sing that’ that other teams sing over 40 years later as if they’ve won the champions league and not played 5 games against no one to win it…. 

We sang back we have won it twice so it’s probably why on Saturday some fans thought that’s what was sang. Admittedly it does sound like it so can see why we responded with it. 

Good luck this season. 

Edited by Ramos