Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-63407459

Unfortunately the situation is looking more and more bleak. The urgent action required to alleviate the worst effects of climate change just aren't being implemented by governments.  Despite their promises and commitments.

If any one doubts @uttoxram75's  point about the role which the fossil fuel industry has played in spreading doubt and misinformation about human induced climate change, then Big Oil vs The World would be a good series to watch.  It's available on YouTube.  40 years ago Exxon knew that fossil fuel burning was going to cause global warming, they funded the most extensive research into the issue, but instead of telling the public the truth of what they discovered and trying to adapt in the 1980s...they decided on a policy of denial and spreading misinformation as much as they could.  They were obviously extremely successful and managed to convince a lot of people that there was nothing to worry about or at worst that the problem was being exaggerated.  Profit was their only concern it seems. 

The result is we've lost 40 years of trying to deal with this effectively and we are now in a very precarious position. 

8 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Just amazing to hear Julia Hartley Brewer in full fast lane climate change denier mode on Question Time last night. Look, I get the point that weather is not climate and one hot summer is not the end of days but, really, to be so utterly dumb as to suggest it just isn't happening is, well, good for the clicks I guess.

From the bits I’ve heard from her she doesn’t say it’s not happening just disagrees with the claimed amount that it’s caused by humans actions

3 hours ago, Highgate said:

Unfortunately the situation is looking more and more bleak. The urgent action required to alleviate the worst effects of climate change just aren't being implemented by governments.  Despite their promises and commitments.

If any one doubts @uttoxram75's  point about the role which the fossil fuel industry has played in spreading doubt and misinformation about human induced climate change, then Big Oil vs The World would be a good series to watch.  It's available on YouTube.  40 years ago Exxon knew that fossil fuel burning was going to cause global warming, they funded the most extensive research into the issue, but instead of telling the public the truth of what they discovered and trying to adapt in the 1980s...they decided on a policy of denial and spreading misinformation as much as they could.  They were obviously extremely successful and managed to convince a lot of people that there was nothing to worry about or at worst that the problem was being exaggerated.  Profit was their only concern it seems. 

The result is we've lost 40 years of trying to deal with this effectively and we are now in a very precarious position. 

Ahhh the new misinformation tag , de platform the right now , 

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

J H-B works for Murdoch who has financial interests in Genie Energy. It's not dumb, its not for clicks, its her job!

All the fossil fuel companies spend many millions on climate change denial, bit like the tobacco companies spent decades and millions denying any link to smoking related illnesses.

As with nearly all mainstream media outlets nowadays, just look who owns them. Its always about the money.

In the interests of balance Who’s paying these climate protesters ? 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

In the interests of balance Who’s paying these climate protesters ? 

I have read that Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion are funded by the same fossil fuel corps, either directly or indirectly.I don't know if thats true as quick searches don't give you that info and I don't have the time or expertise to do proper research.

There is a member of the Getty oil empire family on the board of one of Just Stop Oil's main donators.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are being played from both ends to keep us divided, it seems to be the way these things work.

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I have read that Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion are funded by the same fossil fuel corps, either directly or indirectly.I don't know if thats true as quick searches don't give you that info and I don't have the time or expertise to do proper research.

There is a member of the Getty oil empire family on the board of one of Just Stop Oil's main donators.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are being played from both ends to keep us divided, it seems to be the way these things work.

Me too and there appears to be a political angle to it all too under the the disguise of climate change issues, I'm pretty certain the founder of x reb was shown to be driven more by Marxist anti capitalism 

35 minutes ago, Highgate said:

What would you call what they did?  Are you aware of the research Exxon carried out back in the early 80s? 

Don’t tell me,, I bet it’s gonna have me in hysterical mode running round screaming we are all gonna die , the worlds gonna end ,,, so fourty years on we’ve had one hot day in the U.K. about a degree higher than previous record and measured at Heathrow,,,yawn 

Edited by Archied

5 hours ago, Highgate said:

A rise of 1.5 degrees is about 0.5 degrees more than UK has seen in the last 300 years. And actually quite enjoying the warmer autumns and winters at the moment, saves on fuel bills.  

Edited by PistoldPete

46 minutes ago, Archied said:

Don’t tell me,, I bet it’s gonna have me in hysterical mode running round screaming we are all gonna die , the worlds gonna end ,,, so fourty years on we’ve had one hot day in the U.K. about a degree higher than previous record and measured at Heathrow,,,yawn 

12 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

A rise of 1.5 degrees is about 0.5 degrees more than UK has seen in the last 300 years. And actually quite enjoying the warmer autumns and winters at the moment, saves on fuel bills.  

Not sure I've much faith in the human race solving this crisis, if this sample is anything to go by.  Don't mean to focus on you two, it's just your opinions are by no means uncommon even though they are in stark opposition to a firm scientific consensus. 

I think it might take a few more extreme weather events and a climate induced migrant influx before the penny finally starts to drop.  

11 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Just amazing to hear Julia Hartley Brewer in full fast lane climate change denier mode on Question Time last night. Look, I get the point that weather is not climate and one hot summer is not the end of days but, really, to be so utterly dumb as to suggest it just isn't happening is, well, good for the clicks I guess.

She doesn't say it's not happening. She simply says it's not the end of the world. In my growing up the end of the world was meant to come from nuclear war, and then from AIDS, and then mad cow disease, and now it's from climate change. You need a filter to avoid the constant catastrophizing. Most young people and some on here haven't developed that filter yet.

11 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Not sure I've much faith in the human race solving this crisis, if this sample is anything to go by.  Don't mean to focus on you two, it's just your opinions are by no means uncommon even though they are in stark opposition to a firm scientific consensus. 

I think it might take a few more extreme weather events and a climate induced migrant influx before the penny finally starts to drop.  

Well yeah maybe the UK doesn't have the problem that countries in Africa might have from any warming effects.. but you wouldn't guess it from the hysteria this summer here about a couple of hot days... and by the way there isn't any scientific consensus that says anything different to the fact that temperatures in the UK have risen by 1C in 300 years. 

Edited by PistoldPete

On 25/10/2022 at 08:42, Stive Pesley said:

Agreed. And no one is accusing you of having an issue with an immigrants colour.

The fact remains though that the UKs response to the Ukrainian crisis has been one of the most openly racist policies of my lifetime

I have good friends in Leicester whose kids have recently left home so they applied to house a Ukrainian refugee.

They were not only paid by the government to do this, but they also saw that the lady they took in was fast tracked for job interviews, offered free training for jobs that she had no skills in, and then once she got a job was offered subsidised housing

She was fleeing a warzone. The UK wasn't the "first safe country she passed through".  No different to many refugees from Africa or Asia.

There is no other explanation for the disparity in treatment. 

Steve - you've surpassed yourself! The UK response to the Ukrainian crisis makes us utter heroes in that country. Without the UK, Kiev and Ukraine would have fallen in a couple of days. It was us alone circumventing the EU blockade of weapons (led by Germany) that allowed Ukraine to defend itself and not be overrun. And in the weeks/months after. It is why Boris was always the most-welcomed leader in Kiev and why Ukraine made that speech at Eurovision talking a little about the songs but then saying what matters most is loyalty and friendship and "that's why we're giving 12 points to the UK". Hardly any Ukrainians want to come here - they want to be close to their home country to be able to go back. It shouldn't be for us to take them far away from their homes when we are offering them the most support they receive in other ways, for which they are massively grateful.

25 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Don’t tell me ,, 97 % of scientists,, erm 97 % of a small chosen sample

22 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Well yeah maybe the UK doesn't have the problem that countries in Africa might have from any warming effects.. but you wouldn't guess it from the hysteria this summer here about a couple of hot days... and by the way there isn't any scientific consensus that says anything different to the fact that temperatures in the UK have risen by 1C in 300 years. 

The consensus I'm referring to is that anthropogenic climate change is a huge problem,  for every country,  including the UK.  

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

Don’t tell me ,, 97 % of scientists,, erm 97 % of a small chosen sample

If by 'small chosen sample' you mean all of the climate scientists (i.e. the relevant scientists when talking about climate science), then yeah.  Actually it's probably more than that, but you get the idea.  

8 hours ago, Highgate said:

If by 'small chosen sample' you mean all of the climate scientists (i.e. the relevant scientists when talking about climate science), then yeah.  Actually it's probably more than that, but you get the idea.  

Oh dear,,, yes I get the idea , same as I got the idea through covid , chosen experts labelled as THE science with they’re models and predictions that were way way off the scale wrong with any scientist and medical experts who didn’t follow the line being silenced, ridiculed and even receiving  death threats in some cases ,fear fear fear , we are all going to die we are all doomed and when we didn’t the next super strain was just round the corner and comming for us , crisis crisis crisis ,,, yes just look at the crisis that’s been created by this by following these experts ( using them to create and legitimise policy) ,the worlds economy is in the gutter with real people in real crisis so here we go again I’ve already seen you use the same tactic and language, misinformation, deniers , scientific conscientious,

and what’s the strangely consistent result of these fear driven crisis creations / predictions / models ,,, surprise surprise the rich get richer , the poor get poorer and they’re lives , rights , choices are steadily trodden on and they are plunged into real before your eyes undeniable  NOW crisis ,  funny that ??‍♂️
give me a shout when the next pandemic hits ,the one we are told is comming even now

Edited by Archied

8 hours ago, Highgate said:

As a matter of interest is the Highgate handle any kind of a nod to Karl ?

Edited by Archied

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

That's Aileen Getty. Of course, her money comes from the family trust fund which in turn comes from her grandfather's oil business. But it seems that she's never had any involvement in the family business, involving herself purely in philanthropy. It appears that Getty Oil sold their reserves to Texaco in 1984, so it's hard to see where the meat of this particular conspiracy lies, other than the Getty name. It's not hard to see why the link is being pushed by the fossil fuel lobby though.