Away Tickets - 2022/23

Foreveram

10 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Some clubs designate a 'singing section' i.e. don't even think about sitting down.

Maybe they could also designate a 'mandatory sitting section' with standing pretty much prohibited.

I'm about 6 foot tall and generally I don't mind standing at away games but the rake of the stands in some of these old grounds is very shallow and, if you are unfortunate enough to get a basketball player in front of you (as I did on Tuesday), then you're stuffed.

Or maybe they could just enforce the existing ground regulations ??‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Or maybe they could just enforce the existing ground regulations ??‍♂️

They could, and then you wouldn't get half the amazing videos and atmosphere that we saw on Tuesday. Said it before, but safe standing needs to come in. 

55 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Some clubs designate a 'singing section' i.e. don't even think about sitting down.

Maybe they could also designate a 'mandatory sitting section' with standing pretty much prohibited.

I'm about 6 foot tall and generally I don't mind standing at away games but the rake of the stands in some of these old grounds is very shallow and, if you are unfortunate enough to get a basketball player in front of you (as I did on Tuesday), then you're stuffed.

I'm 6' 6" and I want to sit down but away from home I'm invariably forced to stand because others insist on doing it regardless of the wishes of others. I feel sorry for anyone standing behind me because it causes viewing problems for them. But what is the answer really?

As for enforcing the existing ground regulations? Really? How many police and stewards would it have taken to enforce sitting down at Port Vale on Tuesday? The costs involved would lead to a wave of clubs going into administration across the EFL and we all know the pain that brings.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

28 minutes ago, Srg said:

They could, and then you wouldn't get half the amazing videos and atmosphere that we saw on Tuesday. Said it before, but safe standing needs to come in. 

So basically, you’re saying if you’re sat down you can’t jump up to celebrate, right, cos I can.

25 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I'm 6' 6" and I want to sit down but away from home I'm invariably forced to stand because others insist on doing it regardless of the wishes of others. I feel sorry for anyone standing behind me because it causes viewing problems for them. But what is the answer really?

As for enforcing the existing ground regulations? Really? How many police and stewards would it have taken to enforce sitting down at Port Vale on Tuesday? The costs involved would lead to a wave of clubs going into administration across the EFL and we all know the pain that brings.

I was responding to having a mandatory seating section, which is already there, but ignored.

At Burton the stewards asked people to sit down, they did.

1 minute ago, Foreveram said:

I was responding to having a mandatory seating section, which is already there, but ignored.

At Burton the stewards asked people to sit down, they did.

There was just a handful in the away seating at Burton, not almost 4,000.

11 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

So basically, you’re saying if you’re sat down you can’t jump up to celebrate, right, cos I can.

No, I'm saying when you've got an away end full of people standing and singing, it doesn't quite have the same affect as everyone sat down politely clapping.

23 minutes ago, Srg said:

No, I'm saying when you've got an away end full of people standing and singing, it doesn't quite have the same affect as everyone sat down politely clapping.

You are never going to convince those who want the rules that they follow to be enforced, although I can guarantee that they also choose other rules not to follow in other walks of life.

I am always willing to swap seats with anyone behind me that wants to sit, but quite a few say that they want to sit in a seat that they didn't choose rather than move.

I'm a bit in the middle of this problem, tbh. I don't mind standing but I am a bit of a short-arse and if I get a @Brailsford Ram or similar in front of me I really struggle to see (as I did on Tuesday - was it you, perchance? ?) Especially when the rake of the stand is shallow, as it is at Port Vale.

I don't necessarily agree with you @Srg that seated fans can't make a noise either, as I can and do make plenty! I also see plenty of standers at away games that don't join in any singing - or even applause. There's some right miserable gits in both camps! 

But one thing I do hear is that our older fans who want/have to sit down at the front are in a running battle game after game with young lads who want to stand at the front and cheerlead, wave their flags, get on the tele in a celebration with players. Some of these are giving our own older/less able supporters a shedload of abuse, some of which is discriminatory, imo.

So, like we have one singing block we could do with one seated block, where you know you can sit, even if a few rows back. And the fans who want to celebrate with the players can still do so across the front of the other blocks. Of course, the Club can't advertise it as such as technically they are all seated blocks, but they could word it carefully, family block or quiet block or something similar. We always have a big enough allocation of tickets to make this possible. 

I know some fans would rather these fans didn't go to away matches at all, but they are as entitled to watch their team as anyone imo.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm a bit in the middle of this problem, tbh. I don't mind standing but I am a bit of a short-arse and if I get a @Brailsford Ram or similar in front of me I really struggle to see (as I did on Tuesday - was it you, perchance? ?) Especially when the rake of the stand is shallow, as it is at Port Vale.

No it wasn't me on Tuesday Angie. I actually managed to sit down on the second row. Nathaniel Mendes-Laing almost landed in my lap when he was celebrating scoring the winner. He actually said to me that if B4 had been standing in front of me he'd have kicked his ass so hard he'd never want to stand up again ?

I think football fans in general are in real danger of shooting themselves in the foot, not only are we routinely getting large numbers (Several 1000s or a whole end of the ground) of people standing in seating areas which massively increases risk, we now have people standing in the aisles, or pushing into areas so there are more people than seats. Did you see the Man Utd fans spilling over and knocking over the advertising boards at Forest? If this continues we risk a huge clamp down, possibly needing government to introduce new laws. All because a minority of people think they can do what they like?  

If fans are not careful we risk having safe standing removed and a strict requirement to stay in our seats? We are now also seeing away fans buying seats in home areas because they can't cope with whats happening in the away end?

Edited by Simmo’s left foot

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't necessarily agree with you @Srg that seated fans can't make a noise either, as I can and do make plenty! I also see plenty of standers at away games that don't join in any singing - or even applause. There's some right miserable gits in both camps! 

But one thing I do hear is that our older fans who want/have to sit down at the front are in a running battle game after game with young lads who want to stand at the front and cheerlead, wave their flags, get on the tele in a celebration with players. Some of these are giving our own older/less able supporters a shedload of abuse, some of which is discriminatory, imo.

So, like we have one singing block we could do with one seated block, where you know you can sit, even if a few rows back. And the fans who want to celebrate with the players can still do so across the front of the other blocks. Of course, the Club can't advertise it as such as technically they are all seated blocks, but they could word it carefully, family block or quiet block or something similar. We always have a big enough allocation of tickets to make this possible. 

I know some fans would rather these fans didn't go to away matches at all, but they are as entitled to watch their team as anyone imo.

I am the same. Love the singing, humour and seeing "limbs" and am not a killjoy in any way. BUT when we go away I am 5' 2" and have medical condition that means I just cant stand for 90 mins. If I could I wouldnt see anyway. I am not classed as disabled. I mentioned this when booking Ipswich and our tickets we were in a small block pitchside with on a lower level with about 10 people - talk about miserable. 

I think some of the issue is the demand for tickets and how blocks sometimes (dont go away often to know if always)  seem to be sold ie for Ipswich. As we sell them all out why cant they always sell all at once then a strategic block could be say a family or quiet block from the start. But so hard to do with such a demand for away tickets this season that not sure of a solution. 

As an aside I see an increasing number of "yoofs" so busy videoing etc at matches and on social media on their phones all match they can have absolutely no idea what is going on

I liked to be stood up personal and I saw loads of people getting behind the lads. I saw one old man with a walking stick in front of me.

I don't see why fans who wanted to sit down could not go those seats at the side at portvale had no one In them.

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I liked to be stood up personal and I saw loads of people getting behind the lads. I saw one old man with a walking stick in front of me.

I don't see why fans who wanted to sit down could not go those seats at the side at portvale had no one In them.

I bet that poor old man with a walking stick would have loved to sit down but then he wouldn't be able to see would he? So he had to suffer standing up because he couldn't sit in the seat he'd pay for except at half-time. 

5 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Same here mate, I’m 6’6” and I’d rather sit, purely because I know how annoying it is for people behind me. I try to get as near the front as possible - we were on the third row on Tuesday but people in the first two rows stood up so I had to. I did turn round and apologise to the bloke behind me and he was nice about it. He moved along second half and there was a guy behind me who must have been 6’7” the lanky git. (I gave him a right cuddle when NML scored!)

4 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I bet that poor old man with a walking stick would have loved to sit down but then he wouldn't be able to see would he? So he had to suffer standing up because he couldn't sit in the seat he'd pay for except at half-time. 

Actully mate I was behind him.

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Actully mate I was behind him.

The poor old man would have had to be on the front row to sit down though because you and your mates were all standing up.

Edited by Brailsford Ram