Conway Conversations

TuffLuff

https://conwayconversations.substack.com/p/phillip-cocu-a-retrospective?r=1lz4rc&s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

Gonna give these their own thread because Ryan Conway has written some great articles so far Including this one.

I think sums up everything id like to say about Cocu’s reign but with some really interesting bits of info. I liked Cocu a lot and I’m very much in the camp that he was the right man at the wrong time, it’s a shame it all started to come together just as the world shut down. 

Anyway, keep up the good work Ryan!

I agree that so far Ryan's bits have been excellent. 

At the time of appointment I believe Cocu was the best name available, so i was happy that we got him. However, i never really took to his style and obviously this was compounded in his second season where we looked terrible. It' sad that a genuine nice guy hasn't been able to lead us to glory but that's how it goes i guess. 

Very much looking forward to Ryan's next article. 

A lovely read. One of my favourite games in recent memory was the cup match against Palace under Cocu, with Rooney and Huddlestone totally dominating midfield and a silenced Palace crowd. I thought it was the start of something big happening – couldn't be more wrong – and that might have been the last we saw of Tom being influential for us.

I'd agree the circumstances were wrong for him to succeed, a whole bunch of unfortunate things conspired against him, but at the same time he didn't help himself a lot fo the time as well.

I really wanted it to work, but ultimatly even i had to admit, it didn't.

Wish him all the best though and hope he has future success wherever he goes. Classy guy, dignified.

I think of him a bit like a less dramatic Nigel Pearson (another could've worked in different circumstances, or even, if the powers had backed him and not the squad), things weren't really going to be how they were told they were going to be, picking up pieces of a disjointed squad without the freedom afforded their previous.

The whole yes, bring through young players, impliment a style, etc etc oh, also we've got aging MLS reject level Wayne Rooney and you have to play him 90 minutes every game and they's also the budget gone. And we promised Wayne your job.

I'm not panning Rooney for his efforts, particually last last season, but the decision to bring him here was not the most sensible one (IMO)

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd agree the circumstances were wrong for him to succeed, a whole bunch of unfortunate things conspired against him, but at the same time he didn't help himself a lot fo the time as well.

I really wanted it to work, but ultimatly even i had to admit, it didn't.

Wish him all the best though and hope he has future success wherever he goes. Classy guy, dignified.

I think of him a bit like a less dramatic Nigel Pearson (another could've worked in different circumstances, or even, if the powers had backed him and not the squad), things weren't really going to be how they were told they were going to be, picking up pieces of a disjointed squad without the freedom afforded their previous.

The whole yes, bring through young players, impliment a style, etc etc oh, also we've got aging MLS reject level Wayne Rooney and you have to play him 90 minutes every game and they's also the budget gone. And we promised Wayne your job.

I'm not panning Rooney for his efforts, particually last last season, but the decision to bring him here was not the most sensible one (IMO)

The delay in Lampard going and his late arrival gave him a massive disadvantage for starters and from that, to get us on the fringes of the play offs was some achievement. Shame it went pear shaped at the start of his second season. Really honest and decent guy, wish him all the best ?

57 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Dutch managers all fail in English football. They try to reinvent the wheel, and it just doesn't work. Blood, thunder, speed, energy and effort will always beat slow, sluggish, lethargic, pointless football.

Last 10 competitive matches between English Blood & Thunder and Dutch Total Football, the Netherlands are W4 D5 L1 ?

image.thumb.png.8bae51438aef2c235ff3278d662d2f45.png

51 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Think Ryan Conway is a really good journalist, digs into details and analysis a lot more than just churning out clickbait. It’s a shame he took a step back from the Athletic, the bloke who replaced him was a real drop in quality.

Yeah it was a shame, I'm not sure if it was personal or professional but I'm glad we've managed to make a DCFC convert of him.

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Last 10 competitive matches between English Blood & Thunder and Dutch Total Football, the Netherlands are W4 D5 L1 ?

image.thumb.png.8bae51438aef2c235ff3278d662d2f45.png

That’s because when it comes to international football we don’t play English blood and thunder ?

5 hours ago, Macintosh said:

A lovely read. One of my favourite games in recent memory was the cup match against Palace under Cocu, with Rooney and Huddlestone totally dominating midfield and a silenced Palace crowd. I thought it was the start of something big happening – couldn't be more wrong – and that might have been the last we saw of Tom being influential for us.

Remember it well, an absolute masterclass in how to control the midfield, pity we didn’t see more of it.