New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

Just now, simmoram1995 said:

I think £8m plus add ons to about £12m plus 20% sell on knights ok but his assists and goals are on the low side 

Sell knight you could probably afford to keep birdy and sibley and use the money on a prolific league 1 striker like Sam smith from Cambridge or a really decent loan from premier league + 1-2 other players 

As much as I’d like Knight, Bird, Sibley and Beilik to stay I don’t think it’s very likely or probably that fair for their careers to make them stay. They’re probably the only way we can realistically fund building the squad back up (if we are going to be more sustainable).

Moreover, next season is probably going to be a bit of a struggle. If it was going to be a case of definitely bouncing straight back up  then they’re probably young enough to ‘give us a season’, but in all likelihood next season will be about stopping the rot. 

Just got to hope we can squeeze some decent fees out of them. 

6 minutes ago, LazloW said:

As much as I’d like Knight, Bird, Sibley and Beilik to stay I don’t think it’s very likely or probably that fair for their careers to make them stay. They’re probably the only way we can realistically fund building the squad back up (if we are going to be more sustainable).

Moreover, next season is probably going to be a bit of a struggle. If it was going to be a case of definitely bouncing straight back up  then they’re probably young enough to ‘give us a season’, but in all likelihood next season will be about stopping the rot. 

Fully agree - I think each would be class at this level but equally this is a level below where they should be playing. If they were older I'd maybe ask them to give another season to see if we can bounce straight back - but at their ages they need to be progressing and can only happen playing a better quality of opposition than they'll face with us.

I don't think Sibley will go anywhere though - Derby lad. Equally I think Bird will stay. As internationals aiming to keep their places I think Bielik and Knight will be looking for moves and if a fair bid comes in then I think it would be right to take it. As much as it's galling for us, none of the players got us into this mess and on the pitch last season they kept us up... So it's hard to justify standing in their way of leaving.

29 minutes ago, LazloW said:

The only reason I’d let them go is if we want to cash in while we can. Otherwise, I’d have every sympathy for them from a career perspective but ultimately the clubs chief responsibility is to the club, not the careers of its players. They would all do a job in L1. 

If a club from a higher division comes in with a decent offer then we’d have to consider it, but the likes of Palace coming along and thinking they can get them on the cheap….jog on pr1cks ?

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I have a feeling Curtis Davies could be holding out for Rosenior to be made permanent.

Curtis being the man he is, I could imagine him saying show the manager some loyalty before I commit.

an unsurprising sign of Curtis’ loyalty, if that’s what it’s about. But LR is untried in this role and if he does not succeed the price of terminating a long contract could cause us major issues under the EFL business plan.  

did wonder btw whether Curtis might want to become player/captain/assistant coach 

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

an unsurprising sign of Curtis’ loyalty, if that’s what it’s about. But LR is untried in this role and if he does not succeed the price of terminating a long contract could cause us major issues under the EFL business plan.  

did wonder btw whether Curtis might want to become player/captain/assistant coach 

He said on TS yesterday that he wouldn’t rule it out, but he’s more interested in a media career. 

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'd settle for losing Knight and Bielik if we can keep Bird and Sibley at least one more season. 

Don't think I will get the opportunity to choose, though! 

As well as agents, Knight will have the entire RoI staff in his ear telling him he needs to move. In the right set up he could be useful in the PL so will be surprised to see him in L1. Would love Bielik to stay but am guessing we can fund at least 2 others on his comp. just have a feeling Bird might stay and if Bielik goes he has an important role

9 minutes ago, w8sey said:

He's not daft. He will know what the max is. Why would he demand the impossible 

I would imagine that after a season on 'minimum' wage, Davies is expecting the club to play fair with him and give him a deal nearer to the upper limit of what we can pay. Seems reasonable to me, he has a big positive influence on and off the pitch. 

19 minutes ago, curb said:

What do mean ‘he’s playing games’?

All this talk about a media career. Don’t doubt it will happen in due course. But right now I think he wants to sign - but on the right terms -  and so mention of a media career strengthens his hand in negotiations with the club 

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

All this talk about a media career. Don’t doubt it will happen in due course. But right now I think he wants to sign - but on the right terms -  and so mention of a media career strengthens his hand in negotiations with the club 

It didn’t sound like that at all, it sounded like he wants to sign for another year, but when he’s finished he wants to go into media. 
He said he’s not interested in coaching, but didn’t rule it out at some point in the distant future. He’s probably only saying that in case the media career doesn’t come off. 
my guess is that his contract he signs with us will give him the leeway to start doing media work, similar to what RSav did in his last season. 

14 minutes ago, curb said:

It didn’t sound like that at all, it sounded like he wants to sign for another year, but when he’s finished he wants to go into media. 
He said he’s not interested in coaching, but didn’t rule it out at some point in the distant future. He’s probably only saying that in case the media career doesn’t come off. 
my guess is that his contract he signs with us will give him the leeway to start doing media work, similar to what RSav did in his last season. 

Fair enough. Didn’t hear it and sounds like I got the wrong end of the stick 

Also departing from Derby are a number of other players to have come through the Rams’ youth set-up in recent years at the end of their contracts in the form of Under-21s trio Tyree Wilson, Kornell McDonald and Alex Matthews.

Under-18s players Marko Borkovic, Eli Christie and Charlie Rutt have also left the club at the end of their scholarships.

All those players that have left the club do so with Derby County’s best wishes for the future.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2022/07/ebosele-leaves-derby-at-end-of-contract-for-udinese-switch

A little surprised at the u21s going, I have to say. 

Edited by Animal is a Ram