Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

New contracts for three of the youngsters:

A lot of interest in the goalie I understand,  Spurs have been very keen.  Nice to see a player with other options commit for a change.  Lost millions of future value in the last 2 years and not all due to admin.

11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A lot of interest in the goalie I understand,  Spurs have been very keen.  Nice to see a player with other options commit for a change.  Lost millions of future value in the last 2 years and not all due to admin.

Agent appears to be Sam Rush, hopefully there's no spite there towards the club. Leave it all at Mel's door.

image.thumb.png.85fa5c3dc52c3936c09a5b9dad2719a8.png

14 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

I wonder why Robinson's contract is only until summer 24 unlike Bardell through to summer 25. Are scholars limited in contract length? Hopefully there's a professional contract in the pipeline for Thompson after his scholarship with all the glamour about him.

Jack Thompson has already been offered a 4-years professional contract commencing on his 17th birthday but he cannot sign it until then. However, if another club comes in for him before then, the fact that the offer has already been made by DCFC means that the club is entitled to seek a transfer fee above and beyond an academy development costs compensation award.

5 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Agent appears to be Sam Rush, hopefully there's no spite there towards the club. Leave it all at Mel's door.

No spite at all, Sam Rush has been a personal friend of Jack's family for the past seven years. Morris settled Sam's claim in full through the tribunal judgement and an additional out of court settlement against Morris. Sam has no axe to grind with Derby County, far from it.

9 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

No spite at all, Sam Rush has been a personal friend of Jack's family for the past seven years. Morris settled Sam's claim in full through the tribunal judgement and an additional out of court settlement against Morris. Sam has no axe to grind with Derby County, far from it.

That's absolutely fantastic to hear - the more agents that are happy with Derby the better I guess for recruiting the best players.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes there's been interest from Premier League clubs for the past year. That's been mentioned in the national media.But the good news is that during that time the club and the academy has increasingly stabilised and is seeking to move back to its previous performance and recruitment levels as soon as possible. Confidence and security assurances among the boys in the academy has increased accordingly and a lot of worries are now much reduced. So, happily Jack and others are still here because they want to be and that can only be good for our future. I think the off-field events of the past three years have amplified just how important a good academy is for Derby County. It is our future. COYR

On 16/01/2023 at 16:27, angieram said:

How bad is it down there? We haven't got any snow at all in Ripley.

Very late reply but I had to go to Loughborough on Monday evening. Very strange. Heading North, no snow at the high points at Markfield or Copt Oak, but dropping down to a couple of miles from Loughborough there was about an inch or so,and frozen hard on the pavements, right down to the town centre. Not surprised it was called off really.

On 18/01/2023 at 13:29, Brailsford Ram said:

Yes there's been interest from Premier League clubs for the past year. That's been mentioned in the national media.But the good news is that during that time the club and the academy has increasingly stabilised and is seeking to move back to its previous performance and recruitment levels as soon as possible. Confidence and security assurances among the boys in the academy has increased accordingly and a lot of worries are now much reduced. So, happily Jack and others are still here because they want to be and that can only be good for our future. I think the off-field events of the past three years have amplified just how important a good academy is for Derby County. It is our future. COYR

Thanks Brailsford for this, it's really encouraging to hear that the Academy is heading in the right direction again. Are you able to share any info on the steps taken to achieve this?

I'm pleased to see the news about Max Bardell.  In the u21s recent good run of form, his performances were excellent, and like Rooney, he looked a cut above.  It was - perhaps - significant that he played at right back whereas Oduroh was played out of position to accommodate him. I'd like to think that Max has the potential to step up to the first team in time in a position where, of course, we are currently somewhat short.  

33 minutes ago, Baffled said:

Thanks Brailsford for this, it's really encouraging to hear that the Academy is heading in the right direction again. Are you able to share any info on the steps taken to achieve this?

Everything has been publicised by the club about the rebuilding of the academy. It was public knowledge that during the administration we lost several academy players to other clubs, most of whom were players who the club most wanted to keep. Funds were not available to adequately replace them and inevitably there was a dramatic decline in on-field results. On top of this, redundancies among the academy recruitment and analytical staff compounded the problem. I think there was a real awareness among the fanbase that the future of the academy was in doubt, in line of course with the worries for the very existence of the club itself. Since the takeover there has been a slow rebuilding of academy players and support staff and a recent improvement in on-field performance. Recently the club was informed that it would retain the Cat 1 academy status, which had been in doubt. All of this been a big boost in terms of morale at Moor Farm. So I don't think I have any secrets to reveal. Things seem to be on the up.

Personally, I think we owe a huge vote of gratitude to Darren Wassall who is now in his 15th year as head of the academy, a remarkable stint in modern day football. Throughout his time in charge the academy went from strength to strength until administration. Thankfully, Darren emerges intact from the troubles and seemingly ready to lead the rebuild. We hear little about him but he contributes an awful lot in my opinion.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

29 minutes ago, Baffled said:

I'm pleased to see the news about Max Bardell.  In the u21s recent good run of form, his performances were excellent, and like Rooney, he looked a cut above.  It was - perhaps - significant that he played at right back whereas Oduroh was played out of position to accommodate him. I'd like to think that Max has the potential to step up to the first team in time in a position where, of course, we are currently somewhat short.  

My memory of recent games was Max at RCB and Oduroh at RWB