POLL: Nottingham Forest's return season to the Premier League

Mostyn6

POLL: Nottingham Forest in the PL 2022/2023.  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 30/05/2022 at 15:11, Mostyn6 said:

Okay, so they made it. Their manager is clearly a good manager. Their owner seems willing to throw some cash around.

Rivalries and Hopes aside, using your brain as a neutral, please try! Can they survive? Will the plummet back down? Are there going to be 3 worse teams? For them to stay up, they'd need at least one of the already existing PL teams to drop. Surely Everton and Leeds cannot be as bad next season. Will Brentford or Brighton lose their talented manager(s) and suffer relegation.

Part of me thinks Nottingham Forest will do alright, but I can't see 3 definite relegation teams.

Option required of not giving a flying feck whether the gumps stay up or not.

They'll probably be really crap and taking up a relegation spot until the World Cup, but the better teams will have a load of players away tiring themselves out while most Forest players are having a good rest.

I expect the fixtures will probably land lucky for them and they end up going on a good run post-WC against these knackered out teams, pulling them to safety.

You just know they'll fluke something along the way.

On 31/05/2022 at 11:48, Rammy03 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nottingham-forest/kader/verein/703/saison_id/2021/plus/1

If you look at the squad here listed without the loans, it is very threadbare in terms of quality. A few players out of contract as well. A lot of work to do.

We've got a few u23s available for loan actually if you need a hand putting out a side in August.

Be easy for us to keep tabs on them too playing for your lot over at Meadow Lane every other week.

As long as they spend more than the 11M we spent in 2008 then I think they may do ok. Second season syndrome maybe their bigger threat IMO. 

Just rewriting that out - 11M, even then in the prem, no wonder we got 11 points. 

11 minutes ago, Ramos said:

As long as they spend more than the 11M we spent in 2008 then I think they may do ok. Second season syndrome maybe their bigger threat IMO. 

Just rewriting that out - 11M, even then in the prem, no wonder we got 11 points. 

It certainly wasn't big then, and in modern fees it's tiny, but in 2007 the record transfer fee paid by an English club was still only £30m. (£89m in 2018 / £100m in 2021)

Birmingham only spent £7.2m before the season (£13.5m including January) and ended up on 35 points.

28 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

It certainly wasn't big then, and in modern fees it's tiny, but in 2007 the record transfer fee paid by an English club was still only £30m. (£89m in 2018 / £100m in 2021)

Birmingham only spent £7.2m before the season (£13.5m including January) and ended up on 35 points.

Yeah I mean ultimately what we bought with that 11M is proof of the pudding of why we did so bad.

What Rooney did last season was really prove that you do not need a ton of money, or even to sign the most fancied players and you can get a tune out of them - so I guess that 11M isn’t really an excuse for only getting 11 points.

I guess there was a lot of reasons to motivate the players last season and galvanise them but shouldn’t there always be? Maybe that’s what really sets Wayne aside. 

This is why I’m now semi confident this season that Rooney can bring in loans, frees etc and still build a good squad. His recruitment with his hands tied behind his back has been somewhat remarkable. 

Anyway to keep on topic, boo forest boo. 

This is the cycle of English football. It's difficult for any side that won promotion without parachute payments to sustain in the Premier League, especially if they were reliant on the loan market in the first instance (which arguably gives you the best chance of being competitive in the Championship to begin with). 

However, on the flip side, they will get relegated and be £60m ahead of everyone else in this division so really in order to break the cycle either need to smash the recruitment out of the park OR fumble recruitment so much that they fall into the also-rans of the Championship once again. You either need to be exceptionally bad or exceptionally good to break the cycle. 

Stoke - exceptionally bad. Brighton - exceptionally good. 

It's not uncommon for a team to stay up in the Premier League, even if they were unfancied: Huddersfield, Sheffield United, etc. Typically, though, it's unsustainable as they both proved. 

On 31/05/2022 at 01:22, Will the Ram said:

Their first season in the PL there were no fans in stadiums. That could’ve been a big factor in them doing well that season (as they also won the league when 2019/20 concluded under the same conditions). Before lockdown they looked like they might of had a wobble again.

Leeds won 5 on the bounce before lockdown and hadn't conceded a single goal. They lost the first game back after lockdown so that's wrong for a start.

Forest will go straight back down unless they have an impressive summer transfer window. They've looked very average and that's with the loan players at their disposal. The play-off final was a hard watch and totally bereft of any quality.

On 06/06/2022 at 09:58, Ramos said:

This is why our 11 point total will never be beaten.  By january we had actually managed to weaken our squad considerably compared to the promotion squad.

14 hours ago, Drysalters said:

Leeds won 5 on the bounce before lockdown and hadn't conceded a single goal. They lost the first game back after lockdown so that's wrong for a start.

Forest will go straight back down unless they have an impressive summer transfer window. They've looked very average and that's with the loan players at their disposal. The play-off final was a hard watch and totally bereft of any quality.

Just my opinion. They did only have 2 wins in 11 matches before that winning streak so hardly faultless form.

Edited by Will the Ram