The last time we played each of next season's potential opponents in the league

admira

On 25/05/2022 at 13:12, Ghost of Clough said:

Add Fleetwood to the mix, since I imagine we'll all be in Blackpool for that one.

Forest Green, Cheltenham and Bristol Rovers would ideally be on the weekend too. Could have a bit of a relaxing time in the Cotswolds then.

Well I'm working in Gloucester atm so want those to be midweek games if poss ?

And it'll be a novelty to have a Hampshire game to get to anorl. Some of the others, not so much. 

13 hours ago, Mihangel said:

That list makes me (and others, in sure) reminisce for the 80s. If this time in Div 3 is similar, for those of you who weren't there, buckle up, it's going to be a fun ride!

Yip. In the two seasons we were there last time, we played the likes of Darlington, York, Newport, Orient, Chesterfield and Bury, while the official matchday programme featured the legendary centrespread photo of Steve Buckley and his dog's lipstick..

Within two seasons we were back playing Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal. Oh for that to happen again ...

OK, I know I'm opening a can of worms, but here goes anyway.

I wonder if there's any correlation between economic wealth as a whole and the geographical distribution of football clubs?

For example, is it the case that the richest clubs are concentrated in big cites &/or the most affluent places?

If one lives in a small town it must follow that the club's fanbase might be smaller and also that rich local owners might be in very short supply.

If it is the case then it makes the achievements of (for example) Burnley all the more remarkable, whereas (for example) Bournemouth might be expected to produce something that's at least reasonable given the demographics and overall level of effluence, sorry affluence, of the area.

There are cultural and historical factors of course, for example the south west historically had comparatively little heavy industry, and thus fewer football clubs and more interest in rugby.

If some kind of index were compiled showing the over- or under- performance of clubs relative to their geographical base, that might give a truer picture of their actual achievements, rather like those 'value added' statistics they put out about schools.

In Derbyshire there are a number of successful non league clubs in the 5th-8th tiers plus the arguably underperforming Chesterfield plus the temporarily demoted Rams.  Manchester has 10x the population of Derby and much more economic power and 2 clubs in the top 10 of the PL.  And as for London...

Finally, if it were ever felt necessary to 'level up' football and make it more evenly competitive by giving financial help to struggling clubs, perhaps if this were done partly on the basis of distance from a big city (say 1 million+), that might be a start.  I'm sure that Plymouth fans would agree...

On 25/05/2022 at 17:41, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd put Plymouth as a bigger club than the others to be honest.  Bet they must average 14k or so and add another 3 or 4 when they're in the championship.

Plymouth's average attendance was just under 13,000, which is not bad for a stadium that only holds 18,214

On 25/05/2022 at 23:08, uttoxram75 said:

Plymouth fans are superb.

The nearest away game is nearly 2 hours. Most are 6 or 7 hours.

Loads of respect for them.

Hope we get a Saturday away, its a brilliant place for a weekend.

I can walk to the ground in approx 5 mins. Last time I stepped inside Home Park was a League cup game for our U23s, watched a 0-0 draw. Stand out player that evening was the youngest player on the park, a 17yr old Jason Knight.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

Would'nt put it past Parry and his cronies

Usually about 14 games a season which don't fall on a Saturday - 4 of them being the Christmas and Easter games. 7 home, 7 away

The two holiday away games will probably be Vale and Sheff Weds. The other 5 non-Saturday away games being Ipswich, Cambridge, Fleetwood, Exeter and Wycombe.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

14 minutes ago, Geriatram said:

I was there for the Accrington game in 1957,  It was a top match in the 3rd div north, the gate was 24,200. It was my second season as a Rams supporter. We were promoted that season, And that team is still one of my all time favourites. UTR.

The home game that season I was four days old! I only know that as my nephew bought me the match day programme as a souvenir (born a Ram!)

19 minutes ago, Geriatram said:

I was there for the Accrington game in 1957,  It was a top match in the 3rd div north, the gate was 24,200. It was my second season as a Rams supporter. We were promoted that season, And that team is still one of my all time favourites. UTR.

We scored 111 league goals that season, which would be nice ? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2022 at 13:46, ilkleyram said:

They’ll probably be on strike so no need to worry!

I'm looking forward to renewing acquaintance with the supporters liaison guy from Accrington.  Best we’ve had on here in many a year. 

Yep, I'm still here. Looking forward to greeting all you Rams' fans next season. New bar and hospitality suite opened in April. You're all welcome and we'll give you half the stadium for your fans. 

Robert SLO ASFC

11 minutes ago, Stanleyhouse said:

Yep, I'm still here. Looking forward to greeting all you Rams' fans next season. New bar and hospitality suite opened in April. You're all welcome and we'll give you half the stadium for your fans. 

Robert SLO ASFC

Looking forward to it ?