Calling a man bald is sexual harassment

Day

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I've read the article but am struggling to get my head around how one man calling another man bald is sexual harrassment.

So if someone comments about me having a stammer, I could sue them for sexual harrassment because stammering is more common with men than women?. Bizarre.

I think this is the key bit

"Mr King made the remark with a view to hurting the claimant by commenting on his appearance which is often found amongst men," the tribunal said.

"The tribunal, therefore, determines that by referring to the claimant as a 'bald c***', Mr King's conduct was unwanted, it was a violation of the claimant's dignity, it created an intimidating environment for him, it was done for that purpose, and it related to the claimant's sex."

It's just that the common understanding of sexual harassment is where someone acts sexually inappropriately against another person in an unwanted way - clearly not the case here. The definition of sexual harassment being used here is more fundamental - harassing someone by using a sexual characteristic against them. Which is why it seems an odd ruling I guess

16 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's just that the common understanding of sexual harassment is where someone acts sexually inappropriately against another person in an unwanted way - clearly not the case here. The definition of sexual harassment being used here is more fundamental - harassing someone by using a sexual characteristic against them. Which is why it seems an odd ruling I guess

Seems a completely bizarre judgement. Can’t see it being upheld if it’s appealed.

4 hours ago, maxjam said:

Its been mentioned elsewhere.

I questioned if it would have been okay if he had just dropped the 'bald' ?

'He complained that he was a victim of sexual harassment, due to comments made about his lack of hair, including being called a "bald c***" by factory supervisor Jamie King during an argument in 2019.'

No.  Because by cutting out the word "bald", he would have just called him a "chap".

Well, I think that's what the censored word is!  ?

Years ago we had a bald manager in charge, on his daily walks round the factory one lad would shout "cue ball" very loudly whilst hiding behind machinery. He made the terrible mistake of telling others that he would sack anyone he caught.......it just got worse and worse, he couldn't go anywhere without "cue ball" being heard from all corners of the site. He became known as "cue ball" to everyone.

Mind you, he was a c..., bald or not.

17 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

“I didn’t say he was bald, your honour, I said he was bold”.

Ahh, l see. Case dismissed.

21 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I've read the article but am struggling to get my head around how one man calling another man bald is sexual harrassment.

So if someone comments about me having a stammer, I could sue them for sexual harrassment because stammering is more common with men than women?. Bizarre.

A friend of mine who stutters was sentenced to 6 months in prison. That was two years ago, but he still hasn’t finished his sentence.

That’s obviously not true. I don’t have a friend.

• 2 weeks later...