Finance thread 2022.

Rev

4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

It's been shown during this crisis, the power companies will make a hugh amount of extra profits.

Like any private company they will sell their products for the biggest price they can. As someone stated recently their not a charity. 

Maybe the inflated profits these companies will be making from wind and solar. Is a good reason for calling for our utility companies to be re-nationalized.

Maybe or maybe they aren’t providing enough % of energy to make any difference Vs other forms of energy 

39D3FA7B-EDB2-46B1-B9FA-60C1B22E36EF.jpeg

21 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Maybe or maybe they aren’t providing enough % of energy to make any difference Vs other forms of energy 

39D3FA7B-EDB2-46B1-B9FA-60C1B22E36EF.jpeg

That's a bit misleading because it includes energy for transport from oil (petrol & diesel). Here is the data for energy generation:

Energy.jpg

Just now, Wolfie said:

That's a bit misleading because it includes energy for transport from oil (petrol & diesel). Here is the data for energy generation:

Energy.jpg

Low then, no wonder we’re not benefiting from it 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

So if you’re solar and wind energy is so efficient and supplying the UK with energy, why have our bills increased so much?

Simple answer; the cost of producing electricity is calculated as if 100% of it is generated from gas, even if no gas is being consumed.

I wonder how big the bonus was for the bloke who got that written into a contract?

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Simple answer; the cost of producing electricity is calculated as if 100% of it is generated from gas, even if no gas is being consumed.

I wonder how big the bonus was for the bloke who got that written into a contract?

They were one smart bugger 

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This lady is for turning, Not got the support from her minions...reports she's ditching the 45p tax rate...well done Gove and Co ?

https://news.sky.com/story/truss-to-ditch-plans-to-abolish-45p-rate-of-tax-for-higher-earners-12710900

That's all fine.. but how do we plebs benefit from rich people paying more tax? I missed that bit of the argument.. do we pay less tax now?     

8 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

That's all fine.. but how do we plebs benefit from rich people paying more tax? I missed that bit of the argument.. do we pay less tax now?     

This is Politicians playing politics, They went running into their holes and put their tin hats on, Watching Sky News now, Kay Burley is having a field day...ripped Chris Philp treasury minister to pieces as she accused him of it being his idea for the 45p calamity.

Those who want to invest in the UK went running to the hills and took their loot with them 10 days ago, There's bad policies and bad timing...this Government screwed up

6 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This is Politicians playing politics, They went running into their holes and put their tin hats on, Watching Sky News now, Kay Burley is having a field day...ripped Chris Philp treasury minister to pieces as she accused him of it being his idea for the 45p calamity.

Those who want to invest in the UK went running to the hills and took their loot with them 10 days ago, There's bad policies and bad timing...this Government screwed up

It only seems like 2 days ago that any Tory MP who voted against this proposal were told they would be kicked out the party.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the details of this growth plan.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It only seems like 2 days ago that any Tory MP who voted against this proposal were told they would be kicked out the party.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the details of this growth plan.

Running scared image.png.5f621cdd9bc77745431977a19cf4344e.png all about their personnel credibility in the future, She'll not last long, Her MPs in marginals and those with 10/15k majorities will be worried ?  

I await to see what positive spin the right will try to put on this climb down by Truss and Kwartang. While ignoring the damage it's caused to the country, the money spent by the Bank of England to prop up the pound, the cost to mortgage lenders.

All this extra unneeded cost at this time of hugh government borrowing. 

6 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I await to see what positive spin the right will try to put on this climb down by Truss and Kwartang. While ignoring the damage it's caused to the country, the money spent by the Bank of England to prop up the pound, the cost to mortgage lenders.

…… and a hedge-fund managers dream.

They will have cashed-in on the pound crashing and again when it went-up again, (no doubt tipped-off on both occasions). In the meantime, all the contributions I’ve made to my personal pension in the last two years have evaporated into thin air. ?

Suspect there are a couple of reasons for the u-turn:

1. too many Tory MPs aware they're out on their ears at the next general election (which will probably happen anyway - asssuming Starmer can't find a way to c***-up the huge poll lead that Labour has) - Tory conference could be quite unpleasant without the u-turn...

2. They need to bring some money in while waiting for the magical 'growth' to kick in - and as Andrew Neil pointed out to the obnoxious Tory Party Chairman Jake Berry during his interview last night (well worth a watch if you didn't see it): they've ring-fenced the NHS funding; Truss has stated she wants to increase defence spending (due to Ukraine); they won't reduce planned pension increases (pensioners being their core voters); Education and local government have already been cut to the bone during the austerity years; so the only obvious target for public spending cuts to pay for the crisis is to reduce benefits (watch this space) - and even the most stupid politician can see that cutting benefits while reducing tax for the most wealthy is a pretty awful look.....

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

To be fair, both sides try to put a positive spin on everything and I'm sure if a labour government had made a similar error the left would be doing the same. That's politics for you.