Finance thread 2022.

Rev

I'm no financial experts but doesn't a run on the pound usually end up with banks making hugh profits, while leaving us to pay for it.

The scrapping of the cap on bankers' bonuses, couldn't have been fortuitous. Well it's good to know they'll now be suitably rewarded for all their hard work, of making us poorer, over the next couple of days.

The scrapping of IR35 is pretty big news for the hundreds of thousands of contractors. Some well paid.

Many contractors did very well under the old rules... Huge, barely justifiable, day rates and then doing all they can to reduce their tax liabilities that PAYE staff had no ability to take advantage of. Contracts lasted years, or just move between projects in the same organisation. Good work if you can get it.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Is there also a >£600 handout plus an energy bill price cap, plus benefits and now tax and NI relief for those on lower income? It’s a lot of free money

So no response to this @Stive Pesley not even a laughing smiley face reaction?……..why’s that? is it maybe because the government IS actually supporting the lower paid? 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nope.

Nothing for OAPs - this following on from the shafting we received with the removal of the triple lock.

I do agree with that @Eddie I think you are being shafted. I guess I meant the working population,so apologies 

Edited by TexasRam

10 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Don't give them lot ideas, next time you call an ambulance, you' ll get an Uber!

Or those who have contributed sweet FA don’t get the privilege to call an ambulance without paying upfront, now there’s an idea ??‍♂️

Edited by TexasRam

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I'm no financial experts but doesn't a run on the pound usually end up with banks making hugh profits, while leaving us to pay for it.

The scrapping of the cap on bankers' bonuses, couldn't have been fortuitous. Well it's good to know they'll now be suitably rewarded for all their hard work, of making us poorer, over the next couple of days.

Have you got any ideas how much it costs to service a Ferrari nowadays?

The cost of living crisis affects everyone.

2 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I know they say don't mess with Texas. But still, that might be a bit harsh, may be?

Not really, we always whine about how bad the NHS is funded. Then maybe those who could contribute but don’t should be charged for he privilege of using the service , it may bridge the gap don’t you think? 

13 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not really, we always whine about how bad the NHS is funded. Then maybe those who could contribute but don’t should be charged for he privilege of using the service , it may bridge the gap don’t you think? 

I'd like to think by way of taxes most people do contribute, there will always be some who don't, who milk the system but I am not convinced it would bridge the gap tbh.

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

You're a very lucky man Texas that you or people you care about never have to worry about having a safety net. 

Its easy to be flippant about being in abject poverty until you find yourself in that position I suppose.

Just now, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I'd like to think by way of taxes most people do contribute, there will always be some who don't, who milk the system but I am not convinced it would bridge the gap tbh.

Let’s be honest they don’t, there are hundreds of thousands who don’t. Maybe if we took away their free pass it would help just a little. 

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

You're a very lucky man Texas that you or people you care about never have to worry about having a safety net. 

Its easy to be flippant about being in abject poverty until you find yourself in that position I suppose.

I’m not lucky at all, maybe the harder I work the luckier I get, however I’m not dissimilar to most and only  3 months away from catastrophe . I just don’t expect to be bailed out and will forge my own survival no matter what I have to do.    

13 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I’m not lucky at all, maybe the harder I work the luckier I get, however I’m not dissimilar to most and only  3 months away from catastrophe . I just don’t expect to be bailed out and will forge my own survival no matter what I have to do.    

You might not always be fit enough to forge your own survival. 

So when is a budget not a budget?

When the Chancellor of the Exchequer doesn't want the OBR,  (Office of Budget Responsibility), giving an independent analyses on what impact his budget would have on the country's economy.

Well it looks like the market's reaction and the way the pound is going. Are already showing what the OBR would have said about the government's tax cuts and the negative impact they would have.

Hell, it even sounds as if some bankers aren't impressed with the Chancellor and they were the ones in line, to make a few bob in bonuses.

12 hours ago, TexasRam said:

So no response to this @Stive Pesley not even a laughing smiley face reaction?……..why’s that? is it maybe because the government IS actually supporting the lower paid? 

What's the point. You're clearly just on a wind-up

My only issue with the budget is that it massively benefits the already well-off in comparison to the amount that it benefits those who are struggling. It's so totally out of proportion. A point you haven't addressed because I assume that beneath your "work harder" bravado, even you know that it's indefensible. 

Oh and is it "free money" if we have to live with the deficit and the inevitable disintegration of public services that are starved of tax money?

I think we're entering a period where the lucky ones will become privately rich whilst we all become publicly impoverished.