Past mediocre signings / This season

LERam

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Definitely disagree on Ince. If you can't call him a success then only freebies can be. Since for a fee worth about £6m in the end, top performer whilst at the club, then sold for a reasonable profit. Yet you want to include Vydra as the "stand-out" signing despite being awful in the first of his two seasons at the club?

The list of players we made a P&S profit on is very sad (excluding academy graduates) : Russell, Dawkins, Albentosa, Christie, Ince, Weimann, Vydra

The list of players we actually made an overall profit on is even more pathetic: Christie, Ince, Vydra

35 players have come and gone, yet we only made a profit on 3 of them!

This is shocking statistic and as much the reason we are where we are as signing them in the first place - many for stupid fees.

I’m not up on other clubs’ signings vs sales (sure someone on here will know!) but we must be one of the worst. 

Of course you’ll never make money on everyone you sign, but 3 out of 35 is abysmal.

I know Clough had his detractors (and I’m one who thinks he went at the right time) but he (his brother?) could spot a player and even when it didn’t work out the most of the fees were minimal since no massive financial impact.

15 minutes ago, Ramrob said:

This is shocking statistic and as much the reason we are where we are as signing them in the first place - many for stupid fees.

I’m not up on other clubs’ signings vs sales (sure someone on here will know!) but we must be one of the worst. 

Of course you’ll never make money on everyone you sign, but 3 out of 35 is abysmal.

I know Clough had his detractors (and I’m one who thinks he went at the right time) but he (his brother?) could spot a player and even when it didn’t work out the most of the fees were minimal since no massive financial impact.

It's true that if you're sooo poor at transfer dealings inbound you are heading for the financial buffers unless the academy can take up the slack by producing a succession of wunderkinds. 

Sadly, our negotiations on outbound players has been equally ineffective.... 

30 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Maybe Anya had some off field issues. I didn't see much of him, he looked pretty good in the matches I saw. He didn't play much though did he for whatever reason. 

Maybe Watford said "if you want Vydra you've got to take Anya as well".

I seem to remember when he arrived, Pearson said he didn't know anything about him.

3 hours ago, LERam said:

Over the last few years we have (rightly) bemoaned the DCFC scouting office. Looking at some of the average underwhelming signings we made under Mels tenure, would some of these faired better, looked better, etc if they'd been bought into the squad this year? I use the term mediocre based on them not being total out and out fan faves

Simon Dawkins

Raul Albentosa 

Nick Blackman

Flo Jozefzoon 

Anya

Cameron Jerome

Marriott (in term so the amount we paid for him)

2 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

The problem with Marriott wasn't the price we paid, it's the type of player he is.  We'd got a manager that wanted to play 1 up front, with Mount/Wilson/Whoever off him, and Marriott can only really play off a big man in a 2.  We sort of half made it work with Waghorn sort of playing a wide-target-man-tucking-in type of thing, but we never really got the best out of Marriott, because we never set out to.

1 minute ago, StrawHillRam said:

got us to the big league cup game at Chelsea with extra sponsorship,  got the goals in the FA cup to set up the Leicester match.  Gave us the fun of beating leeds and 1.5- 2 million in money getting us to the final.  Fancy we might have won that final if chunky boy had played him from the start as well.  I can think of far worse signings.  4 years of  free European tours and one penalty for Blackman on 20 k a week springs to mind.

Our recruitment team was lazy..appeared to do no scouting for overseas gems or lower league players...just buying lots of one season wonders for top dollar. Waghorn was a prime example of massively inflated price..not worth half of what we paid..Butterworth? Just don't even try to work that one out....

After reading this thread and we still try and blame the EFL, Gibson for our current predicament - spend over the odds on numerous players on the back of one purple patch season with massive wages to boot then can't give them away afterwards when their real limitations are realised. 

You mitigate this crackpot method of running a club if we'd have reached the Premiership with this ensemble cast but we didn't and in turn lies financial ruin for the club.