We are not that important

davenportram

I think part of our downfall was linked to Mel Morris's love of a headline because the media tends to be obsessed with the PL, & in particular, with a select coterie of clubs/the elite. It's not that we don't matter, it's that the media appear to think the public are only interested in certain clubs associated with success, glamour (star players) & a history of winning trophies - bypassing the rest. 

Mel Morris wanted to be part of this rarefied world, thinking throwing his largesse would bring success. He tried to generate his own headlines through a succession of high-profile appointments: Paul Clement, Carlo Ancelotti's assistant; Nigel Pearson; & Lampard. Sacking managers regularly when things didn't go to plan ensured we stayed newsworthy. Big money signings brought attention. The EFL have done us great damage, but Morris also sought to antagonize them. Conflict with other owners. He did not seem able to run the club in an efficient, low-key manner.

The fact is that Mr Morris enjoyed the limelight, featuring on broadcasts like 'TalkSport'. How many club chairman/owners in the Championship can you name? Darragh MacAnthony, though I think he tends to be quite interesting in what he says, and he has shown loyalty to managers. He can't be that bad a person to work for if two managers opted to return. I think the situation at Hull is interesting because they appear to have been taken over by someone who enjoys a headline or two befitting a media mogul. 

The truth is, clubs like Derby, and Norwich for example, have to be managed in a different way from the elite. They are provincial clubs as opposed to the big metropolitan teams, London with its expensive real estate. It is bitterly disappointing to see owners queue up to buy Chelsea with its £28m a month wage bill, two months of which practically cover what we owe in debt, & nobody stepping forward to aid one of English football's tradition clubs. Why is this?

Are we any the less bigger than West Ham, who appear to have gone on to another level? They have exploited the situation regarding the London Stadium, enabling to increase ticket sales whilst paying an agreed fixed rent, if correct. 

On 19/03/2022 at 11:29, i-Ram said:

You mean my running a Littlehampton branch of the DCFC Supporters Club counts for nothing.  I am going to email the membership right away and inform them of our ‘irrelevance’. Actually I will tell her over the table at lunchtime. Sad day.

Littlehampton, is'nt that "Dad's Army" Country. "Who do you think your kidding.............

I think "most people" who don't understand football regard Derby County as not important.

Unfortunately the most people are the ones that support the so called big teams that have become big by the most people and the most people pay the most money to watch their big teams that have the most buyers to buy their team that has the most players all loaned out to smaller teams that eventually have to give back these players to the big teams where they become bigger players and earn bigger wages and the most people discuss these big teams all the time on all the big media stations and the big money gets bigger and bigger as the big teams get to play all around the world in brand new cup competitions so the most people get to become even more, and even more and whilst the big teams get bigger and bigger, then the little teams become littler and littler and get eaten up by most people who are far too greedy, far too selfish, far too oblivious, arrogant, ignorant too even notice little Bury FC.............and then down the chain comes along little Derby County the worst team in the Premier League, because that's all they know or want to know thesedays or what they are spoonfed from our media channels about little Derby County. Even when the football killers Sky Sports rolled up into little Derby for the Birmingham City game their cameras missed our 10,000 protest march, because it was more important for them to show Neil Warnock telling their most people audiance that pay big money to watch it, how Neil Warnock thinks Wayne Rooney will not get an easier job, then managing Derby County this season! Absolute Crass! a manager that said on the radio, how he would love the Watford job, as they sack you after 3 months and you receive a very nice pay off...........Absolute Crass!

Yeah I love the underdog. I love Derby County.........but I'm not most people, I'm one of not many, but Derby County are important to some people and that is good enough for me!

Unfortunately.........we are not that important........to most people!

Eat the rich.....feed the poor.

Fight War Not Wars.

7 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I think "most people" who don't understand football regard Derby County as not important.

Unfortunately the most people are the ones that support the so called big teams that have become big by the most people and the most people pay the most money to watch their big teams that have the most buyers to buy their team that has the most players all loaned out to smaller teams that eventually have to give back these players to the big teams where they become bigger players and earn bigger wages and the most people discuss these big teams all the time on all the big media stations and the big money gets bigger and bigger as the big teams get to play all around the world in brand new cup competitions so the most people get to become even more, and even more and whilst the big teams get bigger and bigger, then the little teams become littler and littler and get eaten up by most people who are far too greedy, far too selfish, far too oblivious, arrogant, ignorant too even notice little Bury FC.............and then down the chain comes along little Derby County the worst team in the Premier League, because that's all they know or want to know thesedays or what they are spoonfed from our media channels about little Derby County. Even when the football killers Sky Sports rolled up into little Derby for the Birmingham City game their cameras missed our 10,000 protest march, because it was more important for them to show Neil Warnock telling their most people audiance that pay big money to watch it, how Neil Warnock thinks Wayne Rooney will not get an easier job, then managing Derby County this season! Absolute Crass! a manager that said on the radio, how he would love the Watford job, as they sack you after 3 months and you receive a very nice pay off...........Absolute Crass!

Yeah I love the underdog. I love Derby County.........but I'm not most people, I'm one of not many, but Derby County are important to some people and that is good enough for me!

Unfortunately.........we are not that important........to most people!

Eat the rich.....feed the poor.

Fight War Not Wars.

Good rant, with great passion.

On 19/03/2022 at 00:29, davenportram said:

Okay controversial post 

we are not that important anymore

we weren’t that important when league was founded 140 years ago

accrington Stanley ….. who are they? The league would have existed without Derbyshire county cricket club footballing section and will still exist without Derby County

we are no more than a member of a club of 72 that has new members lining up

More completely pointless than controversial.