The Ukraine War

Day

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I think you'll find those are Russian Soldiers who've ditched their uniforms and are blending in with the locals

You jest, but I read last night that one Russian battalion had been ordered to put their civi's on and disperse in which ever direction they wanted. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

It's good to see Netanyahu climbing back up the sewer pipes. 

While Putin bangs his war drum in Europe I'm sure Netanyahu will stealthily get to work on annexing West Bank. That'll slip under the radar. 

Yep the problems in the West Bank are not something the US is keen on addressing with Israel, there's a multitude of reasons and a number of them hypocritical in this context with Ukraine. 

That doesn't change the good things the US has done for Ukraine, but it does shine a light on why they can't/won't deal with the West Bank situation. 

15 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

You jest, but I read last night that one Russian battalion had been ordered to put their civi's on and disperse in which ever direction they wanted. 

From the BBC

Russians in Kherson trying to blend in with locals - Ukraine adviser

Some more now from Yuriy Sak, adviser to Ukraine's defence ministry...

He tells the BBC there are some Russian soldiers left in Kherson.

"The Russians are taking off their military uniforms, throwing them in the garbage bins and trying to blend in with the locals.

"We urge them to surrender, save their life and don't be foolish," he adds.

Sak also says it is too early for Ukraine "to be complacent" and that his country knows the war is far from over.

6 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

From the BBC

Russians in Kherson trying to blend in with locals - Ukraine adviser

Some more now from Yuriy Sak, adviser to Ukraine's defence ministry...

He tells the BBC there are some Russian soldiers left in Kherson.

"The Russians are taking off their military uniforms, throwing them in the garbage bins and trying to blend in with the locals.

"We urge them to surrender, save their life and don't be foolish," he adds.

Sak also says it is too early for Ukraine "to be complacent" and that his country knows the war is far from over.

Oh no doubt, but I think the Ukrainians will find out who they are in relatively short order, some may even be happy to have escaped the Russian army. 

That doesn't change the fact that there are heart warming scenes coming from a city that has been occupied for almost 9 months. 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Oh no doubt, but I think the Ukrainians will find out who they are in relatively short order, some may even be happy to have escaped the Russian army. 

That doesn't change the fact that there are heart warming scenes coming from a city that has been occupied for almost 9 months. 

My comment was tongue in cheek after I'd read the BBC report, The implanted Ukrainian leader for Kherson dies in a car crash, Not murdered by the Russians or Ukrainians I may add...just died, I was surprised when I found out that the actual car crash was that the car he was in fell off a 30 story car park. 

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

My comment was tongue in cheek after I'd read the BBC report, The implanted Ukrainian leader for Kherson dies in a car crash, Not murdered by the Russians or Ukrainians I may add...just died, I was surprised when I found out that the actual car crash was that the car he was in fell off a 30 story car park. 

I assumed it was tongue in cheek.

I'm just amazed he didn't somehow crash off the car park, through an open window and then hit the ground, with 80 bullet wounds in his back.

I'm sure it was a straight forward suicide, not assisted in anyway shape or form.

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Probably on to a carelessly discarded pile of bullets, meat cleavers and an over-excited Tasmanian Devil.

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I've been in Derby today for the Remembrance Sunday Parade, I can get a little emotional at times, But this nearly took me over the edge...WONDERFULL ?

I’m usually at golf Sunday mornings ( was there this morning too ) and I find it very thought provoking and a real feeling of respect , they always set a rocket off and the whole golf course stops and stands in silence , even more so for me as I’ve gotten older and you realise through reading , documentaries and other areas just what it cost those involved in terms of death , injury and shear trauma,

35 minutes ago, Archied said:

I’m usually at golf Sunday mornings ( was there this morning too ) and I find it very thought provoking and a real feeling of respect , they always set a rocket off and the whole golf course stops and stands in silence , even more so for me as I’ve gotten older and you realise through reading , documentaries and other areas just what it cost those involved in terms of death , injury and shear trauma,

Who'd have thought that the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand by Gavrilo Princip in Serbia would have led to the estimated death of 20million peoples would have happened...all down to trade, As we couldn't let the Germans dictate what would happen in the Med and other parts of the world.

My Grandad(Joseph)was a station master in Vienna during WW2, Letting trains through with a different passenger list, Russians came in and he was going to be executed, Luckily the Americans saved him as he was the only one who knew how to operate the train lines, Survived and died in 1966  

11am today there was a couple of very loud bangs...made me jump ?, I had Grandad Joseph fighting for the Austro/Hungarians in 14/18, Grandad Raymond driving ambulances in 14/18 who died in 1933 through Syphilis ?, Uncle Karl fought in 39/45, Russians came into Vienna caught him and was made to find all the mines that were planted, One blew up near by, He lost his sight and both arms at his elbow.

Phucking hate wars?

Edited by Unlucky Alf

33 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Who'd have thought that the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand by Gavrilo Princip in Serbia would have led to the estimated death of 20million peoples would have happened...all down to trade, As we couldn't let the Germans dictate what would happen in the Med and other parts of the world.

My Grandad(Joseph)was a station master in Vienna during WW2, Letting trains through with a different passenger list, Russians came in and he was going to be executed, Luckily the Americans saved him as he was the only one who knew how to operate the train lines, Survived and died in 1966  

11am today there was a couple of very loud bangs...made me jump ?, I had Grandad Joseph fighting for the Austro/Hungarians in 14/18, Grandad Raymond driving ambulances in 14/18 who died in 1933 through Syphilis ?, Uncle Karl fought in 39/45, Russians came into Vienna caught him and was made to find all the mines that were planted, One blew up near by, He lost his sight and both arms at his elbow.

Phucking hate wars?

Yep with you there , hopefully the day will come when common folk on all sides refuse to fight them , give the  politicians and the like some boxing and tell them not to come back until they have sorted they’re poo out

33 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Phucking hate wars?

My grandad was in the Desert fighting Rommel in WW2. The current SAS tv show on BBC makes me think for the first time in ages what it was like.

Got a quarter of a swastika in my loft which my grandads armoured car captured and shared between the squad.

2 hours ago, cstand said:

Well this is a scary development.  I presume they were stray Russian missiles.  If they were, the Kremlin will deny everything of course.  How will NATO respond, that's the question.  I suppose the response might be different if this was accidental rather than a deliberate attack.  There surely is no good reason for Russia to deliberately attack Poland. 

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Well this is a scary development.  I presume they were stray Russian missiles.  If they were, the Kremlin will deny everything of course.  How will NATO respond, that's the question.  I suppose the response might be different if this was accidental rather than a deliberate attack.  There surely is no good reason for Russia to deliberately attack Poland. 

Hard to know what to make of it with the Russian gov/army. 

Was it a nasty provocative attack- highly likely

Was it an attempted Russian false flag- highly likely

Was it Russian military incompetence- highly likely

I doubt we’ll probably ever find out the true answer.  

in the meantime Poland are preparing military capabilities to be on the safe side. That said Russia’s ability to attack Poland, other than lobbing missiles is pretty much zero.

Problem is a NATO country just got hit by a Russian missile and the Poles absolutely detest Russia, it’s a wild development and I hope calm heads control the situation. 

Russia have denied it, which is the worst response. Had they come out, apologised blaming it on a technical malfunction, things could be smoothed over.

With the denial, will only raise questions if it was deliberate or not. Not good.