Alan Nixon Breaks Silence on American Billionaire Bid

Kernow

8 minutes ago, Rev said:

IF we were to go under, the players would be worth nothing to the creditors, would they?

Clubs only own the right to use those players for the duration of their contracts, which would be null and void upon liquidation, I'd have thought.

Yeah, I think the administrators would need to sell them before the club was liquidated, otherwise they are free to move on for nowt. 

19 minutes ago, Rev said:

IF we were to go under, the players would be worth nothing to the creditors, would they?

Clubs only own the right to use those players for the duration of their contracts, which would be null and void upon liquidation, I'd have thought.

Good point .. if wages aren’t paid on liquidation, their contracts are breached and they would be free to walk wouldn’t they ? . The only way players get sold is for cash flow to keep us going while the club continues to try and find a buyer. The HMRC could issue a winding up order but wind us up to get what exactly … not a lot .. so maybe in a perverse way this helps us settle rationally with HMRC. Hummmm. 

Don’t know if this is technically / legally correct, but it seems logical to me. ? 
You could almost see us stuttering along into February with player sales financing day to day cash needs ? 

Edited by jono

29 minutes ago, Rev said:

No, I think the players registrations, certainly those under 24, revert to the EFL in the case of liquidation, and they ensure that any clubs signing them pay compensation for them, which the EFL then distribute to (wait for it).... FOOTBALL CREDITORS! It's paid pro-rata p/£ according to the relative amounts owing. 

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

No, I think the players registrations, certainly those under 24, revert to the EFL in the case of liquidation, and they ensure that any clubs signing them pay compensation for them, which the EFL then distribute to (wait for it).... FOOTBALL CREDITORS! It's paid pro-rata p/£ according to the relative amounts owing. 

Ah okay, I stand corrected. I genuinely didn't know that. I'm guessing that the compensation can be just a nominal fee though?  

43 minutes ago, Crewton said:

That assessment is purely related to the value of the businesses he's involved with as a Director by the look of it - takes no account of personnel wealth? 

This.

He may have shareholdings as a Business Angel in lots of companies. He may have a huge share portfolio being managed by a stockbroker. He may have a substantial portfolio of property assets. He may have cash in the Bahamas. He may have 12 vintage Lamborghini's in storage, and a yacht in San Marino. None of us know. All we do know is that he lost a lot of money, and then unfortunately his interest, with owning and managing DCFC. 

Edited by i-Ram

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I’m guessing msd get first dibs on that then so hmrc in there case where are they going to get any money from the stadium and training ground doesn’t belong to the club. They will get a pittance back if we fold 

10 minutes ago, Maharan said:

Ah okay, I stand corrected. I genuinely didn't know that. I'm guessing that the compensation can be just a nominal fee though?  

I'm not sure about the size of the compensation payable but, yes, I imagine it's along the lines of what a Tribunal would set, not what the player's value would be on the open market with a couple of years contract remaining. 

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If the EFL are negotiating it then it could be absolutely anything. I'd be surprised if they didn't end up exchanging players for a nice pub lunch.

Not gonna lie, I do like a good pub lunch. 

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

He may have shareholdings as a Business Angel in lots of companies. He may have a huge share portfolio being managed by a stockbroker. He may have a substantial portfolio of property assets. He may have cash in the Bahamas. He may have 12 vintage Lamborghini's in storage, and a yacht in San Marino.

?LETTING THE DAYS GO BY... ?

17 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

This.

He may have shareholdings as a Business Angel in lots of companies. He may have a huge share portfolio being managed by a stockbroker. He may have a substantial portfolio of property assets. He may have cash in the Bahamas. He may have 12 vintage Lamborghini's in storage, and a yacht in San Marino. None of us know. All we do know is that he lost a lot of money, and then unfortunately his interest, with owning and managing DCFC. 

Or he may not. Just a thought!

11 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I’m guessing msd get first dibs on that then so hmrc in there case where are they going to get any money from the stadium and training ground doesn’t belong to the club. They will get a pittance back if we fold 

No, they don't, because on liquidation, the players cease to be contracted to the club and can in principle sign for anyone. The EFL regulations simply provide some guarantee that football creditors get some of the money due to them, because otherwise they're simply unsecured creditors if there's no Phoenix club wanting EFL approval. 

25 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I've not seen that, thanks.

It's a surprisingly sensible idea, for the EFL. 

49 minutes ago, Maharan said:

Yeah, I think the administrators would need to sell them before the club was liquidated, otherwise they are free to move on for nowt. 

They would, but HMRC would get next to nothing as the players would be sold for nowhere near their market value and the Administrators get paid in full out of club funds and what is left would go to creditors, split % equally, so they would only get a % of next to nothing!

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The HMRC generates over £600bn a year, therefore I honestly think people are putting too much emphasis on 'they would rather have something than nothing'. 

£30m (0.005% of their annual intake, roughly). I don't think they would miss the money at all, especially when any kind of amendment is likely to cause huge repercussions, particularly legally. It would be extremely high profile too, so I just don't see them negotiating the sum of money owed, obviously payment terms can also be massaged (such is life) but what is owed is going to be owed. 

This is one of those situations that bugs me, because the liability is with the vehicle and not the driver who ran up the debt.   

As far as I know Wigan only paid 25% to all non football creditors. 

Hmrc now has preferred status over some other creditors but there is no reason to expect they would  necessarily get any better outcome from Derby’s administration than they did from Wigan’s.