Rooney's recruitment

vonwright

33 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I would argue that they are more needed than ever. It's far easier to find players paying stupid money than find a free agent who is willing to accept low wages and a short contract, and also be the right fit for the team.

They never did that bit before (even if it isn't entirely their choice), so I don't think they'd start now. 

We're basically limited to free agents at the moment and of them I don't think its all that difficult to choose the ones who will accept lower wages. Other than Curtis who doesn't want to move away from the area the others are either players at the end of their careers or players that have had a troubled past or players that know the coaching staff already. Doesn't take a genius to pick from such a small group.

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

They never did that bit before (even if it isn't entirely their choice), so I don't think they'd start now. 

We're basically limited to free agents at the moment and of them I don't think its all that difficult to choose the ones who will accept lower wages. Other than Curtis who doesn't want to move away from the area the others are either players at the end of their careers or players that have had a troubled past or players that know the coaching staff already. Doesn't take a genius to pick from such a small group.

But were they asked to find a player who has the right attitude, or solely who plays in a certain position?

19 hours ago, David said:

Fair to say Rooney’s recruitment under different circumstances would have been a lot different, with hands tied he’s done the best we could have hoped for.

Jagielka is the pick of the bunch for me, looks to be a great signing, his class, experience and reading of the game is there for all to see.

At his age we can’t expect to see him play week in week out, but even his presence will have a positive effect with his knowledge of the game.

Can’t help but question Sheff United’s decision to release him.

Absolutely this. 

18 hours ago, Rampage said:

If Wayne gets his eight players then we will make the play offs. The style of play is absolutely obvious. It is ideal for this league. We have a defensive plan. We have a midfield plan. We are resilient and committed. We can be quickly derailed by injuries. We KNOW where we are heading now. COYR.

Wayne said eight players not me. Every season one team gets in the top six unexpectedly. Why not us. We have a good squad according to Wayne. Why would Wayne know less than us. Our Achilles heel is loss of players through injury. Aston Villa got promoted because they had five very good Premier player loans. Their loans were better than ours.

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I for one just don't know what the remit was.

Venables had  three marks out of ten when recruiting players. He marked them out of ten for skill, work rate and attitude. He signed players who scored 25 or more out of 30 using his own judgement, as I remember.

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Venables had  three marks out of ten when recruiting players. He marked them out of ten for skill, work rate and attitude. He signed players who scored 25 or more out of 30 using his own judgement, as I remember.

Venables stopped being a coach 20 years ago. Management has changed incredibly since then. 
 If Derby County could only sign players who score 25 or more out of 30 they would sign players who score 10 in work rate, 10 in attitude and 5 in skill. 

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Venables stopped being a coach 20 years ago. Management has changed incredibly since then. 
 If Derby County could only sign players who score 25 or more out of 30 they would sign players who score 10 in work rate, 10 in attitude and 5 in skill. 

I assume that he meant his own standard of skill within a viable price range. I think that among Championship level players, we have already signed Jags who I would rate above 25 even if he is approaching the end of his career 

7 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Opta statistics have probably made it easier to rate skill levels 

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

I assume that he meant his own standard of skill within a viable price range. I think that among Championship level players, we have already signed Jags who I would rate above 25 even if he is approaching the end of his career 

I will definitely agree with you about Jaglielka. I am however still unsure if the recruitment team had remits to sign players that fell within current conditions. Clement seemed to want only other team's players of the season. Rowett wanted a Dad's Army of adequate but looking for a last payday type of player (I think he got lucky with Curtis). Lampard wanted flair but due to his contacts was able to bring in 3 stars in the making. Cocu just had pretty much the same pile of dog muck that Rooney has had to put up with.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

I will definitely agree with you about Jaglielka. I am however still unsure if the recruitment team had remits to sign players that fell within current conditions. Clement seemed to want only other team's players of the season. Rowett wanted a Dad's Army of adequate but looking for a last payday type of player (I think he got lucky with Curtis). Lampard wanted flair but due to his contacts was able to bring in 3 stars in the making. Cocu just had pretty much the same pile of dog muck that Rooney has had to put up with.

There appears to be a marked improvement in their desire to win games and to work hard. This is not a coincidence.

23 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Micah Richards is not the first to say this, I've heard it from plenty of pundits. It's such a lazy thing to say. They clearly didn't watch us after the lockdown. 

I'm sure Rooney would rather concentrate on learning his management trade. Unless he's got a DeLorean and we get 25 yr old Wayne!