It's not 5 it's 4! Choose again.

RoyMac5

I'd be tempted to sell Byrne if we get a reasonable offer and bring Wisdom & Mengi in who can both play RB & CB, effectively creates an extra slot for us.

Whilst Byrne had a very good season, he's 29 years old with 1 year on his contract and probably at the highest value he's ever likely to be at as a Derby player.

Needs must.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

I'd be tempted to sell Byrne if we get a reasonable offer and bring Wisdom & Mengi in who can both play RB & CB, effectively creates an extra slot for us.

Whilst Byrne had a very good season, he's 29 years old with 1 year on his contract and probably at the highest value he's ever likely to be at as a Derby player.

Needs must.

The one player I would put the not for sale label on....at least he is capable of creating some chances and has some pace....

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

In my view our best player...what do you mean....

He had a good season I agree...................................... but where did it get us..........................................

22 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He had a good season I agree...................................... but where did it get us..........................................

but....................................... where would selling pretty much our only attacking threat for 2/3rd of all games last season get us?

We finished last season scoring just 36 goals and haven't bought (or even been linked with) anyone who'd even make up the paltry 5 goals Waghorn scored, nevermind someone who'd get us 5, 10 extra goals on top of that!

If we gamble on someone stepping into Byrne's shoes and it doesn't work out we'd likely both concede more and struggle to hit 25 goals for the season!

Edited by Coconut

20 minutes ago, Carnero said:

We did but it won't help selling our best players will it.....silly boy.....

25 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I think it would depend how much we could get for him and whether Rooney was allowed to spend it.

But we are desperate for another striker, CKR played the end of last season on one leg ffs! #COYR

In an ideal world of course I wouldn't sell Byrne, but we'll need 4 centre backs, some midfield creativity & a forward or 2. The only way to achieve this, short of getting out of the embargo is creating a slot or 2 where we can. We're not an ideal world.

Wisdom & Mengi are solid enough right back options as well as being centre backs, so allows us to have 4 centre backs as well as strengthening elsewhere. With a limited squad size we'll need some versatility.

Buchanan fills the attacking full back role on the other side.

It's a perfectly valid option.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We did but it won't help selling our best players will it.....silly boy.....

God....... help us....... if........ Byrne..... is..... our..... best..... player....... next...... season..... silly........ boy.........

I think it's got to be a minimum of 2 centre-backs, then either 2 strikers, or, one striker + one attacking midfield.

However, if they sell one of the players on the books, i.e. Bryne, Knight, etc., then that allows them one or two more, plus some money from the transfer fees.

With Bielik to return in 4 to 5 months, Derby have more than enough to cover the midfield positions.

18 hours ago, Carnero said:

Wisdom & Mengi are solid enough right back options as well as being centre backs, so allows us to have 4 centre backs as well as strengthening elsewhere. With a limited squad size we'll need some versatility.

Mengi looked decidedly shaky at RB - Was much better in the centre - Flip side being we have 2/3 youth players who play RB

However - I don't see the point in selling our best RB, one of best players, to free up space for CBs - I know we're desperate for them but if we brought in 2 we have Fozzy who can play there too

Also I'd like to think this is a 'get us through the first few games' situation rather than the whole season - In which case keeping Byrne is much more important - I may be overly optimistic I admit

44 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Mengi looked decidedly shaky at RB - Was much better in the centre - Flip side being we have 2/3 youth players who play RB

Wisdom would be the RB with Mengi, McDonald, Ebosele as cover.

Mengi would primarily be the CB but could shift across during a game, for example, if Wisdom was injured and you want to bring Jagielka on.

It's an option, that's all I'm saying.

Edited by Carnero