It's not 5 it's 4! Choose again.

RoyMac5

18 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Wisdom would be the RB with Mengi, McDonald, Ebosele as cover.

Mengi would primarily be the CB but could shift across during a game, for example, if Wisdom was injured and you want to bring Jagielka on.

It's an option, that's all I'm saying.

Yep - appreciate it's an option, just not convinced it's a very good one

On top of that - Wisdom has always stated he see himself as a CB and wants to play there - He's finally had a couple of seasons playing mostly there for us - And he's waiting around for a small wage on a single year contract - I would imagine if we said "you're going to be our first choice RB" he's going to say no...

On 21/07/2021 at 19:43, RoyMac5 said:

How do you see that resolving with a base of Shinnie and Bird?

I'm not overly convinced it's the right base especially in a 4231 (and I'm far from convinced we should stick to a 4231) mostly because I'd worry that if we played a passing game then it's not hard to tightly mark Bird and set a pressing trap around Shinnie. And Bird hasn't got the raw legs and energy to play in a "kick n rush" side. With that said when those two have not worked as a base have been in games when we've either had Knight at 10 or (briefly) Rooney at 10. Knight positionally is unsuited to playing at 10 and isn't great at finding space between the lines to get on the ball and Rooney was either unfit or disinterested in doing so.

What I'm saying is that with the right #10 infront of them (arguably the right 4) it probably could work and we've seen examples of this. Sibley's debut game against Blackburn they all played really well comes to mind. Also I thought there were signs of something there against Man Utd with them looking like there was a cohesion between the two of them and the attacking 3 midfielders. So I'd say it could work with the right support and the right coaching.

7 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Also I thought there were signs of something there against Man Utd with them looking like there was a cohesion between the two of them and the attacking 3 midfielders. So I'd say it could work with the right support and the right coaching.

I must of missed those signs. I did see Bird at fault for all three of United's chances though (inc the bar shot). I don't think they work well together at all. But I'm not keen on a 4-2-3-1, although keener than a 5 at the back. ?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I must of missed those signs. I did see Bird at fault for all three of United's chances though (inc the bar shot). I don't think they work well together at all. But I'm not keen on a 4-2-3-1, although keener than a 5 at the back. ?

Ehh those were slip ups that occasionally happen in pre season and are honestly uncommon to see them from Bird so I'm not overly fussed about them. Other players were making similar but just didn't get punished for them. I'm more talking about the positions they were taking up, the movement into space, the bits of interplay between them and the attacking three. In general the ball was moving a lot smoother and easier through the pitch than it was last year. It's a work in progress for sure and there is definately going to be some teething pains before it entirely clicks but I think there might be something to work on.

18 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Ehh those were slip ups that occasionally happen in pre season and are honestly uncommon to see them from Bird so I'm not overly fussed about them. Other players were making similar but just didn't get punished for them.

It's where he was making them. No not for me. Can't make those mistakes, would you say the same about the keeper?

As for the movement very little of it was forwards. Been one of our major problems since Bielik was injured.

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's where he was making them. No not for me. Can't make those mistakes, would you say the same about the keeper?

As for the movement very little of it was forwards. Been one of our major problems since Bielik was injured.

Oh If this was the a game in the season then I'd agree but it's the first pre season game. Slips in concentration when the team is apparently trying to embed a new way of playing aren't unexpected. He's also the player on the pitch you'd least expect to give the ball away in those positions.

My point about movement is they are finding space in order to get the ball and then feed it forward. It's not 100% there yet but it's something I'm keeping an eye because it was completely lacking for large stretches last season. 

We definately miss Bielik's ability to carry the ball but he often covered up major systematic problems that I'm glad we seem to be apparently working on. 

So it's the first 4, and then the rest later on in August. First 4 obviously must fill the immediate gaps we have in the squad for the first game.

1. Davies - leader, captain and one of the best in the air available to us. Also shows commitment as an 'existing player'
2. Wisdom - shows commitment as an 'existing player'
3. Jagielka - Davies could do with a solid and reliable partner
4. Carroll/Morrison - we need CM cover with Knight's injury

5. Morrison/Carroll
6. Baldock
7. Stearman
8. Aluko
9. Allsop 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So it's the first 4, and then the rest later on in August. First 4 obviously must fill the immediate gaps we have in the squad for the first game.

1. Davies - leader, captain and one of the best in the air available to us. Also shows commitment as an 'existing player'
2. Wisdom - shows commitment as an 'existing player'
3. Jagielka - Davies could do with a solid and reliable partner
4. Carroll/Morrison - we need CM cover with Knight's injury

5. Morrison/Carroll
6. Baldock
7. Stearman
8. Aluko
9. Allsop 

I would go with Morrison & Baldock in the first 4. As long as we have 2 cbs in for the 1st game with backup in Fozzy thats ok, but we need a backup for CKR too.

I think Allsop will be in when a GK goes so make no difference to numbers, Mengi probably 1 of the 10 too

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

I would go with Morrison & Baldock in the first 4. As long as we have 2 cbs in for the 1st game with backup in Fozzy thats ok, but we need a backup for CKR too.

I think Allsop will be in when a GK goes so make no difference to numbers, Mengi probably 1 of the 10 too

I'd rather have Wisdom and Stretton on the bench than Forsyth and Baldock

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I agree. Which two cente backs would you go for though?