Brisbane to host 2032 Olympics

Stagtime

Great for Brisbane local economy, but I’ve never really got the rush for tickets to see events that people would usually never watch or even understand the rules.

This probably applies more to the Winter Olympics as they have some bizarre events like that sweeping the ice for the puck to fly down.

I can only put it down to the “I went to the X Olympics” memory. 

48 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Geez 2032, thats a bit soon isn't it?  Surely they won't be covid-zero by then?!?

Although it looks like the Aussies have started training their young prospects already...

children-zorbing-in-a-large-blue-paddling-pool-having-fun-PMBRY3.jpg

Hang on, is that Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch?

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2021 at 10:32, David said:

Great for Brisbane local economy, but I’ve never really got the rush for tickets to see events that people would usually never watch or even understand the rules.

This probably applies more to the Winter Olympics as they have some bizarre events like that sweeping the ice for the puck to fly down.

I think you have some sort of fundamental psychological damn when it comes to the olympics. It’s joyful. I was doing security at the Glasgow commonwealth games. I was a bit disappointed that I wasn’t working on the venues with the blue rib and sports, but I got to see some netball and weightlifting. Yes, there is an element of being able to say, ‘I was there’. But it is specifically interesting to see new sports that you wouldn’t normally be introduced to. It’s all good new experiences and adds to the tapestry of life. It opens your eyes a bit that there are other sports out there, people with other interests. It’s like travelling and meeting new people with different beliefs and ideologies. I find it fascinating. 

or it’s even like going on a football forum and realising not everyone is a big fan of the olympics. 

Edited by TigerTedd

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I think you have some sort of fundamental psychological damn when it comes to the olympics. It’s joyful. I was doing security at the Glasgow commonwealth games. I was a bit disappointed that I wasn’t working on the venues with the blue rib and sports, but I got to see some netball and weightlifting. Yes, there is an element of being able to say, ‘I was there’. But it is specifically interesting to see new sports that you wouldn’t normally be introduced to. It’s all good new experiences and adds to the tapestry of life. It opens your eyes a bit that there are other sports out there, people with other interests. It’s like travelling and meeting new people with different beliefs and ideologies. I find it fascinating. 

or it’s even like going on a football forum and realising not everyone is a big fan of the olympics. 

Maybe I need to lighten up, but when I turn tv on to see 3v3 basketball, all the questions I have start to rattle around again.

When I used to watch the Olympics as a kid, all I remember was swimming, running, shot put, triple jump, high jump, javelin, gymnastics.

Not saying all these other events didn’t exist, but it felt like that’s all I would see and I loved it.

Now when I turn on the Olympics I’m seeing horses prance about, maybe I’m not open to these events as the disappointment of not seeing one of the events I remember as a kid on.

1 hour ago, David said:

Maybe I need to lighten up, but when I turn tv on to see 3v3 basketball, all the questions I have start to rattle around again.

When I used to watch the Olympics as a kid, all I remember was swimming, running, shot put, triple jump, high jump, javelin, gymnastics.

Not saying all these other events didn’t exist, but it felt like that’s all I would see and I loved it.

Now when I turn on the Olympics I’m seeing horses prance about, maybe I’m not open to these events as the disappointment of not seeing one of the events I remember as a kid on.

Stay tuned. All those other events will be on next week. 

the olympics has always had all sorts of weird things in it. Tug of war was quite a popular one. And somebody somewhere had a gold medal for creative writing (maybe not, I’m sure I read about a year when they had awards for some weirdly academic non-sporting things, but I can’t find it now, must have dreamt it - but live pigeon shooting was an event once)!

all I remember as a kid is watching us loose pretty much everything. We had Steve Redgrave bringing home a guaranteed gold every year, and an occasional bit of excitement in athletics with a Daley Thompson or Linford Christie. But it was slim pickings. 

we’re actually quite good at dressage. I can get behind anything if we’re good at it. 

probably just more cameras and more channels these days to be able to cover everything. Back in the day it took too long to etch everything onto stone tablets so we didn’t see a lot of the obscure sports, but they were always there. 

Edited by TigerTedd

On 30/07/2021 at 20:53, David said:

Here’s the new sports for Brissie mate

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2021 at 10:32, David said:

I've got an application in for tickets for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Both semi-finals and the final of the cricket.

Posh seats, so a decent chance we might nail them all and not have to mix with the riff-raff.