Please don’t blame Morris and Pearce.

Curtains

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I can't blame them for something that the EFL gave them the green light to do and then retrospectively changed their minds.

That is like me fining you for driving 30 miles per hour in a 30 mile per hour zone but now Ive changed the limit to 20 miles per hour.

So we are lead to believe but where is the hard evidence? I for one can't believe that we are being punished for something that was sanctioned then removed. Any independent board would rip the EFL to shreds, that did not happen. There must be more to it

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't know how anyone can have the brassneck or temerity to post anything remotely critical of Mel Morris, shame on you all.

Makes a change though from all of the hagiographies being spouted recently though from certain individuals.

Fair play mate for word of the day. Difficult to say if you’re edentulous though.

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

He genuinely might go down as the owner that kills us. 

Which makes me angry but also sympathetic. There’ll be no one as upset as him if it comes to that. He was poured in well over £200m from his personal wealth so he’s not some sort of dodgy owner. He’s just made poor decision after poor decision. 

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand I can't fault his apparent commitment to the club but on the other he's left us in such an absolute mess that really the pitchforks should be out for him by now. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

He's tried, but failed badly, to do both. 

He's poured a lot of money into the academy to try to maintain a steady production of players who could either play in the first team or be sold to generate income. 

He's also a good enough businessman to realise that the championship doesn't, on its own, make business sense. Hence the failed attempts to get a better deal on TV revenue and other "tweaking the tail" of the EFL. 

So his analysis of the problems was spot on - you have to attempt to reach the epl as nothing else would make Derby financially stack up. 

The fact of the matter is that he's failed to do so for so long, we are now a case study for what a medium sized but ambitious provincial club looks like when it tries to operate on championship revenue streams for a prolonged period. 

There will be others no doubt in my mind. Plus we've seen numerous clubs dodge the financial bullet by gaining promotion. 

So I think unluckiest owner certainly. Most misguided in terms of trying to get wider buy in and solutions to the issue, probably. But some views seem to be implying he's wilfully set out to make a mess of everything and dump the debts on the next generation of supporters. There's no evidence of either. 

Spot on.

Also throw Covid into the mix. We were living beyond our means and trying to cut our cloth accordingly, then Covid comes and wipes out £20m of our revenue (2/3rds). Unless he can work a crystal ball how could Mel plan for this.

If we didn’t have Covid we probably wouldn’t be in this situation. It’s a fact many posters seem to be ignoring.

Doesn’t change the fact it’s his responsibility as custodian of the club to sort it out. 

17 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

So we are lead to believe but where is the hard evidence? I for one can't believe that we are being punished for something that was sanctioned then removed. Any independent board would rip the EFL to shreds, that did not happen. There must be more to it

It was there in black and white in the findings from the IDC.

The EFL said ok but allegedly didn't understand what they were saying ok to.

54 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I am saying that DCFC will pay a sizeable fee to auditors who will review the accounts and provide an opinion on whether they give a true and fair view. 

The auditors concluded they did and the directors have therefore complied with their responsibilities. 

Its the first time that I have ever heard of a third party with no accountancy background concluding that a set of accounts do not comply with the Companies Act and requiring those accounts to be amended.

Not only are they requiring amendment of the notes describing the policy, they are requiring the method to be changed, despite a concensus of opinion that the method used complied with FRS. 

I read that the DC found the disclosures to be misleading and the club and auditors agreed, might be in DC1

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

it seems such a strong line of defence I rally can't understand why we lost the case

Just now, Spanish said:

it seems such a strong line of defence I rally can't understand why we lost the case

We didn't 

37 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Spot on.

Also throw Covid into the mix. We were living beyond our means and trying to cut our cloth accordingly, then Covid comes and wipes out £20m of our revenue (2/3rds). Unless he can work a crystal ball how could Mel plan for this.

If we didn’t have Covid we probably wouldn’t be in this situation. It’s a fact many posters seem to be ignoring.

Doesn’t change the fact it’s his responsibility as custodian of the club to sort it out. 

i think we were in a mess before covid that's why we had to sell our stadium

On 24/06/2021 at 08:58, jimtastic56 said:

I do feel sorry for Mel . Losing £200 mill in 4 years must be hard to take. Loads of people have had his “Pants down” . Anya and the rest of them. Sorry to say I think some are still using DCFC as a cash cow.

Are we still paying off the white fearther?

5 hours ago, bimmerman said:

I'm telling you....it's all agent Paterson's doing

Come on Agent Paterson was one of our better deals. He left after 6 months. Paterson’s agent must be a complete ****** that he didn’t get his man a £10k per week salary uplift and a loan contract extension with further salary uplift after playing 10 games, and a one-off, one year scouting contract of £750k for his Mrs.

17 minutes ago, Spanish said:

we won, excellent no penalties, why hasn't the embargo been lifted

A fine to try and appease Steve Gibson no doubt.

The embargo hasnt been lifted because we haven't filed accounts, paid HMRC and had outstanding transfer fees.

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ignorance of the law is no defence. Especially when it is their own laws.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

Why must they? Conspiracy theory preferred by you?

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Ignorance of the law is no defence. Especially when it is their own laws.

The auditors, professionals in the field of accounting, concluded that we complied with the law.

The EFL with no accountancy expertise concluded we didn't. 

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A fine to try and appease Steve Gibson no doubt.

The embargo hasnt been lifted because we haven't filed accounts, paid HMRC and had outstanding transfer fees.

well it certainly doesn't feel like we've won

what about the restated P&S?

I have a lot of time for Mel Morris, but it doesn't stop him from being one of the worst, possibly most careless (dangerous) owners this club has ever had in its 137 year history. 

Every decision he has made has led up to this point. He had ample opportunity and money to correct mistakes along the way, but he didn't. We've effectively had the same recruiting staff since he walked through the door and the evidence is there to show they're one of the worst in the country - if not the worst in the country. 

We can blame the EFL as much as we like, ultimately Mel's decision making and processes in place have left us in a *almost* unsurmountable hole and on our way to division 3 for only the third time in our history, bogged down with 10s of millions worth of debt. I don't know how much influence Pearce had on our amortisation policy, but he's another one that's possibly led Mel up the garden path and still making decisions for him now. He simply trusts the wrong characters and believes he's the smartest man in the room. He's painted himself into this corner. 

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The auditors, professionals in the field of accounting, concluded that we complied with the law.

The EFL with no accountancy expertise concluded we didn't. 

nope the LAP and DC decided this not the EFL

Archived