Rooney’s Style of Play/Identity

Day

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Whatever Rooney's style is he got it right today. Lawrence, Joswiak, Roberts in and around CKR.

As much as i have loved him at times this season, CKR is the weak link in that for me. He offers zero movement and his constant shouts for a long ball actually ruin our attacks. All our other players are suited to quick play ball into feet.

That being said there were no other options, but i think it helps highlight the type of striker we need to be signing in the summer. 

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dowell was poor/awful in his performances here.

He seems a decent player but playing with a team full of good players makes it easier to look good also.

A good player can be a good player in a team of poor players, where did I say otherwise?

What is your point about Dowell - are you trying to say he was a good player for us? I have no idea what axe you are trying to grind, suggest you take the bee out your bonnet mate.

well you didn't really respond to my questions, my point about Dowell is he's better for other clubs because he's coached better and the manager sets up the team better, I think that's the same reason why some of our current players who have previously played better for other clubs/there countries aren't playing well.

so if "Dowell was poor/awful in his performances here", but "a good player can be a good player in a team of poor players" why was Dowell poor here?

I don't have a bee in my bonnet I was just having a discussion, let's just agree to disagree.?

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dowell was poor/awful in his performances here.

He seems a decent player but playing with a team full of good players makes it easier to look good also.

A good player can be a good player in a team of poor players, where did I say otherwise?

What is your point about Dowell - are you trying to say he was a good player for us? I have no idea what axe you are trying to grind, suggest you take the bee out your bonnet mate.

Fairly sure the point is that Dowell is a decent player as proven now at Norwich and that the reason he wasn't here is because of the management not the player. 

Same with others like Waghorn, Lawrence, Jozwiak, they have proven to be good players but this management has not got it out of them yet. 

5 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

so if "Dowell was poor/awful in his performances here", but "a good player can be a good player in a team of poor players" why was Dowell poor here?

Perhaps he wasn't happy? Perhaps he didn't get the chances to play well? Perhaps Cocu didn't rate him? Perhaps the training methods didn't suit.

He didn't look out of place today but he didn't look like a Buendia (sp?)...

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Same with others like Waghorn, Lawrence, Jozwiak, they have proven to be good players but this management has not got it out of them yet. 

It's not the same as when Dowell was playing. Waghorn has been poor, but looked better in his last game after being bollocked by the manager. Joz has worked hard and is young (like Dowell) and adapting to the English game. Lawrence has been injured but which manager do you think has seen the 'real Lawrence' then?

So your real 'bee in your bonnet' is the current management team?

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not the same as when Dowell was playing. Waghorn has been poor, but looked better in his last game after being bollocked by the manager. Joz has worked hard and is young (like Dowell) and adapting to the English game. Lawrence has been injured but which manager do you think has seen the 'real Lawrence' then?

So your real 'bee in your bonnet' is the current management team?

Yes Waghorn was better in his last game but we've all seen him play better than that under Lampard, same with Lawrence.

Jozwiak we have also seen play very well for Poland.

My point is that a great manager finds a way to get the best out of the players he has and i'm not sure Rooney is doing that yet.

4 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Were you one of the people who said Dowell was terrible last season and blaming player's like him for our struggles last season?

Well he's now one of the best player's in the league for Norwich, doesn't that tell you everything?

Are you for real? ducking hell.

He's played 671 minutes of the 2430 he's been available (not injured) for - they've played him for 27% of the time they possible could have.

Now he's "one of the best players in the league for Norwich" with 3 league goals (against us, Forest & Huddersfield) and one assist?

They're good stats for the minutes played, sure, but pull the other one!

The only period of sustained results was when Beilik was fit and firing. Either side we’ve been on relegation form.

Is it squad quality? Takeover woes? Poor Coaching? Injuries?

it is possible that by next Sunday we could be in the relegation zone and as the utterly abysmal goals for return seems nowhere near rectifying itself any time soon then there certainly seems to be a reasonable cause for concern.

Of course Rotherham could lose their next three and we could win on Saturday giving next Sunday a feeling that we’re just about safe but there’s enough doubt to be worried and Rooney doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

I don’t think that he’s done enough to keep his job and I’d like to see him gone. He may be a victim of circumstance but we need a fresh start all round for next season. No matter what league we are in. This one has been just depressing.

As for style of play/identity. I just want to win football matches and what ever Rooney is doing it certainly isn’t that.

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps he wasn't happy? Perhaps he didn't get the chances to play well? Perhaps Cocu didn't rate him? Perhaps the training methods didn't suit.

So that's the coaches fault then? He did get many chances and it never worked.

My general point is there's a trend over the last 2 seasons of players (especially attacking players) performing worse than they've shown they can in past seasons. Why are Waghorn and Lawrence so much worse than they were under Lampard? I understand your point about them playing with Mount and Wilson improving them, but is it not more to do with intricate attacking tactics? e.g. runs off the ball, movement, counter attacking etc... 

A simple example is: I'm fairly confident if Sibley, Dowell and Clarke replaced Wilson, Mount and Tomori in Lampards team had he stayed we'd still be doing better than we are now, obviously there not as good as them 3, but we'd still be doing better.

54 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't look out of place today but he didn't look like a Buendia

in fairness no, but Buendia should be playing in a top half PL team, in any other season he would have left. Covid has helped Norwich and Watford in a weird way in that they've been able to keep most of there star players. 

16 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Are you for real? ducking hell.

He's played 671 minutes of the 2430 he's been available (not injured) for - they've played him for 27% of the time they possible could have.

Now he's "one of the best players in the league for Norwich" with 3 league goals (against us, Forest & Huddersfield) and one assist?

They're good stats for the minutes played, sure, but pull the other one!

Ok I was probably over the top with "one of the best players", but my point was he's performed significantly better than when he was with us.

12 hours ago, DCFClks said:

My general point is there's a trend over the last 2 seasons of players (especially attacking players) performing worse than they've shown they can in past seasons. Why are Waghorn and Lawrence so much worse than they were under Lampard? I understand your point about them playing with Mount and Wilson improving them, but is it not more to do with intricate attacking tactics? e.g. runs off the ball, movement, counter attacking etc... 

A simple example is: I'm fairly confident if Sibley, Dowell and Clarke replaced Wilson, Mount and Tomori in Lampards team had he stayed we'd still be doing better than we are now, obviously there not as good as them 3, but we'd still be doing better.

Waghorn had a standard season last and Lawrence one of his best,actually his best goals wise. Dare I say Martin also had his best season for any team for a few years.

Lawrence has been injured a lot this season. Waghorn is just having a stinker. Doesn't have to be down to coaching all the time. I don't think anyone got worse last season except Marriott but his rot had started under Lampard.

Yet, Bird, Knight and Sibley have yet to match the standards they set last season. Is that down to Rooney? Or just classic second season struggles?

As for Dowell, he just didn't work here. Crowd didn't give him much chance either. 

13 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Fairly sure the point is that Dowell is a decent player as proven now at Norwich and that the reason he wasn't here is because of the management not the player. 

Would disagree about Waghorn and Lawrence, if memory serves we fell into the same old trap with both of them of signing them on the back of purple patch seasons a la Mr Blackman.

13 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Lawrence's best season was under Cocu last year... but don't let facts get in the way

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Ryan Conway said CKR has been carrying injury for the last month or so, playing with painkilling injections. That doesn't change the fact we need better next season than having CKR as our main striker but perhaps explains why he's been so poor lately.

I wouldn't say he's been poor, just not as good as earlier in the season. If he's carrying an injury then that's not surprising.

Archived