Rooney’s Style of Play/Identity

David

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Exactly. There were limited calls for Cocu to go as early into his managerial role. So why not give Rooney the same period of grace?! 

Hmm. Do we give the benefit of the doubt to the man who won the Eredivisie title 3 times as a manager, or a rookie who seems to be taking us backwards? Pretty easy to see why you'd be more willing to be patient with one than the other. 

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Improving? We were in the relegation zone when Cocu was sacked! ?

The goalposts in your arguments shift around so many times I can't keep track. 

Alright, we get it... We're all being terribly unfair to lil Wayne who after working hard for 26 games has managed to develop a style that nobody can identify, which is generating results that are underwhelming. All on top of some lingering suspicion that he maneouvured himself into the role rather than being actively sought out as a manager. 

Yep, dreadful. Terribly unfair. So what? 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr yes we are.

He sounds a knowledgeable manager, he's attempting to put that into practice with a squad that would defy most managers ability and yet you think he's got an easy ride that he's messing up! 

I don't think he's got an easy ride or that he's "messing it up". His only task is to keep us up, and if he does that then it will be sufficient.

I don't think the squad is as bad as you think, It's the worst it's been in a number of years but it's at least good enough to not be in a relagation battle.

What evidence at all is there that he's a knowledgeable manager?  

The initial boost we saw following Rooney's appointment coincided with the return to full fitness of Bielik and Kazim-Richards.

Now that Bielik is injured again and Kazim-Richards burnt out, we are seeing a return to the same form we saw under Cocu earlier in the season.

It may be argued that the squad is not capable of much better but we don't like to think like that, because we prefer to think the youngsters are promising. They are but they need support from the more experienced members of the squad.

@RoyMac5 is not alone in still wanting to dig at Cocu while defending Rooney, even though, the brief Bielik period aside, the results and performances are very similar.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I was referring to earlier this season. 

If you're referring to total tenure, well after 26 odd games of Cocus regime we were actually improving and starting to go on a bit of a run. Rooney was contributing positively to that. 

Now after similar number of games we're getting worse. Rooney got credit for the positive results earlier so why wouldn't you expect criticism? If he engineers an improvement from here, won't he get credit? 

If you think there's some agenda against Rooney then I'm not seeing it. 

His celebrity status will help keep the wolves from the door.

11 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

@RoyMac5 is not alone in still wanting to dig at Cocu while defending Rooney, even though, the brief Bielik period aside, the results and performances are very similar.

Seriously. The squad Rooney has had to use and the limited chance to strengthen it. No pre-season shortened or not. Get real.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Seriously. The squad Rooney has had to use and the limited chance to strengthen it. No pre-season shortened or not. Get real.

So much different to Cocu, eh?

Transfer embargo. All the strikers injured or unfit, not just CKR.

But yeah, for you... one rule for Cocu, one for Rooney.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

So much different to Cocu, eh?

Transfer embargo. All the strikers injured or unfit, not just CKR.

But yeah, for you... one rule for Cocu, one for Rooney.

All strikers? Martin, and Waghorn could be bothered. Tell me the squad for Cocu and compare it then.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

All strikers? Martin, and Waghorn could be bothered. Tell me the squad for Cocu and compare it then.

Martin had gone. We don't know that was Cocu's choice. It probably wasn't.

Waghorn was, like the others, injured at the start of this season.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think you must believe people have forgotten how dismissive you were of context when Cocu was struggling here.

Injuries no excuse, no pre-season not an excuse, soft transfer embargo no excuse, losing core of team with loan players from 18/19 leaving & Keogh sacked not an excuse. Often remember you saying Cocu's job was to work with what he had. Well, same applies to Rooney.

Simply because you've fallen head over heels for his celeb status, doesnt exempt him from football just as boring as your fave Gary Rowett.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Martin had gone. We don't know that was Cocu's choice. It probably wasn't.

Waghorn was, like the others, injured at the start of this season.

I didn't realise we were only talking this season. Then even easier he took us into the relegation places. Rooney has taken us out and kept us out.

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think you must believe people have forgotten how dismissive you were of context when Cocu was struggling here.

Lol. Mr Experienced Manager Cocu? He had two preseasons and how many transfer windows? He showed NO sign of understanding what the Championship was all about and how to get out. The talk when he was sacked was how he overcomplicated everything. Struggling here, how true.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't realise we were only talking this season. Then even easier he took us into the relegation places. Rooney has taken us out and kept us out.

And now Bielik is injured, we're at risk of sliding back into it again.

I enjoy your passion but you are so inconsistent when you compare results, performances and "mitigating circumstances" under Cocu and Rooney.

You might win more arguments were you more fair minded. Ah well.

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I enjoy your passion but you are so inconsistent when you compare results, performances and "mitigating circumstances" under Cocu and Rooney.

Cocu had so much more leeway than Rooney has had and they're not at the same number of games played.

Cocu started out with all the Lampard dropping him in it apparently. Then lots of excuses all through the season - why was it that when we came to play the top 6 clubs to have a run at the play offs we dropped like a stone? Then he starts the season with no striker (okay he couldn't afford to keep Martin). How come Rooney can sign Gregory on loan with ease? Plus the others. Etc..

It looks as if Wayne would agree with those who wonder what his style is. In his latest pre match interview on Ramstv he says that he would like the team to play in the style that he wants - he doesn’t describe what that is, nor is asked that question - but would like a pre-season and his players to do so.

He also said that this season he’s had to set the team up match by match to try to get results to stay up, the implication being that he's done that rather than develop a single style of play.

Given where we were when he took over, that it was a good way into the season and that he wasn’t manager immediately, never mind his level of managerial experience, that seems a reasonable approach and strategy to me. The important thing is to try and stay up this season and whether we do that or not (and if the new owners afford Wayne the opportunity) he will have the chance to develop something next season.

Just now, ilkleyram said:

It looks as if Wayne would agree with those who wonder what his style is. In his latest pre match interview on Ramstv he says that he would like the team to play in the style that he wants - he doesn’t describe what that is, nor is asked that question - but would like a pre-season and his players to do so.

He also said that this season he’s had to set the team up match by match to try to get results to stay up, the implication being that he's done that rather than develop a single style of play.

Given where we were when he took over, that it was a good way into the season and that he wasn’t manager immediately, never mind his level of managerial experience, that seems a reasonable approach and strategy to me. The important thing is to try and stay up this season and whether we do that or not (and if the new owners afford Wayne the opportunity) he will have the chance to develop something next season.

THIS.

Archived