Do Derby deserve to stay up?

David Baker

23 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm echoing others' points here, but if we finish outside of the relegation zone, then we deserve to stay up. If we don't, then we deserve to go down.

Although if we finish one place above the relegation zone and Sheffield Wednesday go down, you could argue we won't have deserved survival. At the very least, it would mean we'd be very, very lucky.

I'll take that scenario if it turns us into Barnsley this season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a funny question, "Do Derby deserve to stay up" What is it based on? Do Swansea deserve to be in the play offs (well they've lost their last 4 games). Do Brentford deserve to be in the play offs (well they've drawn their last 4 games). Do Wycombe desrve to stay up, well they've lost 23 games so far(more than any other side in the Championship). Do Rotherham deserve to stay up (they've lost 21 games only bettered by Wycombe). Do Sheff Wed deserve to stay up, they were deducted 6 points but if they were given the points back would still be in a relegation position.

Close this thread as soon as its confirmed Derby can not go down.

On 05/04/2021 at 19:52, David Baker said:

I am not sure that they do. There have been some good performances, from the team, from individuals, and from the manager, but, overall, I am not sure that they do.

I find the "Rams TV" commentary to be far too biased, towards Derby, with reasonable play being over-lauded, and there being insufficient excellence.

I do not wish to see "The Rams" relegated, but I feel that maybe too many other teams have a more deserving case, for staying up.

Thank you.

Well, at the moment we deserve to go down less than Wycombe, Sheff Weds and Rotherham. You could add Birmingham, Coventry and Huddersfield to the list of less deserving to stay up. I guess that means we deserve to stay up. If we finish in the bottom 3, I don't think we do deserve to stay up.

Imagine the horror of a club's TV service being biased towards the club!

On 06/04/2021 at 17:57, TomTom92 said:

Definitely not. To be as poor as we’ve been and stay up would show how poor you have to be to go down. On paper the league is the weakest it’s been in years. It’s mind boggling how we’ve got 43 points at this stage.

Not as 'mind boggling' as finishing with 43 points (which we won't incidentally!)

27 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Only Southend have scored fewer goals than Derby in the entire football league. I would say if we survive it will be incredible. 

And yet, of the bottom 7, only Rotherham have a better goal difference so survival it's not just about scoring lots of goals

6 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Only Southend have scored fewer goals than Derby in the entire football league. I would say if we survive it will be incredible. 

But its not all about goals scored, its also about goals conceded. If you keep a clean sheet, you do not lose. I will not argue the fact we have'nt scored enough goals and it's obvious we have lacked a goal scorer. But if your defence leaks goals, you deserve to go down. Lets not compare Derby against teams in other divisions. In the championship there is only 11 teams who have conceded less goals than the Rams and only one of them is not currently in the top 10.  So the answer is YES we deserve to stay up.

9 hours ago, plymouthram said:

But its not all about goals scored, its also about goals conceded. If you keep a clean sheet, you do not lose. I will not argue the fact we have'nt scored enough goals and it's obvious we have lacked a goal scorer. But if your defence leaks goals, you deserve to go down. Lets not compare Derby against teams in other divisions. In the championship there is only 11 teams who have conceded less goals than the Rams and only one of them is not currently in the top 10.  So the answer is YES we deserve to stay up.

I think it's just at its basics football is about scoring goals. To win the game you have to score. It's no good just not losing, especially in our position. I would say any team that scores the pitiful amount of goals we have scored should be down.

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Are there less goals than usual this season? 8 teams in the championship currently have under 40 goals, which is basically less than one per game. Even Luton in 13th, with 10 more points than us, have only 5 more goals.

Which is all wonderful analysis. However is doesn’t change the fact we struggle to score goals hence we struggle to win games and this doesn’t look like changing anytime soon. Not scoring and moreover not winning in the final 5 games unfortunately points that we will be in the bottom 3 come the end of the season. 

The failure to address this since January 2020 (for all numerous reasons) is why we are where we are. 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Which is all wonderful analysis. However is doesn’t change the fact we struggle to score goals hence we struggle to win games and this doesn’t look like changing anytime soon. Not scoring and moreover not winning in the final 5 games unfortunately points that we will be in the bottom 3 come the end of the season. 

The failure to address this since January 2020 (for all numerous reasons) is why we are where we are. 

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, we've really struggled to score goals, hence win games. But it also seems like a lot of other teams have too. I'm not sure if this number of teams scoring so few is normal or not. I'm guessing not, as I'm sure goals are down with the lack of fans.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, we've really struggled to score goals, hence win games. But it also seems like a lot of other teams have too. I'm not sure if this number of teams scoring so few is normal or not. I'm guessing not, as I'm sure goals are down with the lack of fans.

Yeah maybe lack of fans. Although even if PP was full I still can’t imagine with the way we line up/play and the resources at our disposal we’d score any more goals. 

On 05/04/2021 at 19:52, David Baker said:

I am not sure that they do. There have been some good performances, from the team, from individuals, and from the manager, but, overall, I am not sure that they do.

I find the "Rams TV" commentary to be far too biased, towards Derby, with reasonable play being over-lauded, and there being insufficient excellence.

I do not wish to see "The Rams" relegated, but I feel that maybe too many other teams have a more deserving case, for staying up.

Thank you.

Sorry David but you’re talking tosh here. 

Of course we are Derby-focused, I don’t know why you’d expect anything other. 

But given the feedback we get on our commentary and coverage generally from both people inside and outside the club, I’d say we get it about right.

To answer your question, ultimately Derby will get what the deserve at the end of 46 games, and so will every other club in the division. 

Our lack of attacking intent and ambition deserves to be our undoing if it carries on until the end of the season. 

Hopefully the new owner will have been watching the way Rooney has set his sides up and be clever enough to make an informed decision on whether he wants that to be served up next season regardless of what division we are in and if we have new playing staff.

If he's got anything about him he's be phoning round available managers now. 

14 minutes ago, Owen87ITK said:

But given the feedback we get on our commentary and coverage generally from both people inside and outside the club, I’d say we get it about right.

I think you must do, David Baker thinks you're too positive yet my Mum is always moaning that you're both too negative! ? you can't win!

Archived