F1 2021

Gaspode

14 hours ago, Gaspode said:

think you're being a bit unfair on Hamilton - there was also a pretty large amount of skill involved in holding Max off for the last few laps. If it had been Bottas in the same situation, I'm pretty sure Max would have taken the victory....

Don’t get me wrong I rate Hamilton, think Max should just have been more patient.

My main point was about Russell. Hamilton will still win this year for me, he still has the edge in car, possibly the edge in race nous too but it’s great it looks a closer championship. I reserve the right to be talking total ass come the end of the season ?

8 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Don’t get me wrong I rate Hamilton, think Max should just have been more patient.

My main point was about Russell. Hamilton will still win this year for me, he still has the edge in car, possibly the edge in race nous too but it’s great it looks a closer championship. I reserve the right to be talking total ass come the end of the season ?

Russell is fantastic - but to do anything with Merc, he needs to hope that Bottas leaves and that Toto believes he can have two drivers so close in talent in the same team. That can be a recipe for disaster - why rock the boat when they have such harmony? His next bet is to get out of his Mercedes contract and hope there's a space at another team which is more competitive with the new rules in '22. 

I'd be really disappointed to not see Russell fighting for championships but the quality of the field is absolutely stupid. 10-20 years ago, Russell would already be in a car with winning potential, but these days, who makes way for him?

22 hours ago, Duracell said:

Russell is fantastic - but to do anything with Merc, he needs to hope that Bottas leaves and that Toto believes he can have two drivers so close in talent in the same team. That can be a recipe for disaster - why rock the boat when they have such harmony? His next bet is to get out of his Mercedes contract and hope there's a space at another team which is more competitive with the new rules in '22. 

I'd be really disappointed to not see Russell fighting for championships but the quality of the field is absolutely stupid. 10-20 years ago, Russell would already be in a car with winning potential, but these days, who makes way for him?

Maybe then again Toto is no fool either, it took Hamilton some time to sign that extension that everyone wanted, knew was going to happen.

Hamilton won’t be around forever, in 2 years Russell could be Toto’s ideal replacement. Next year he challenges, the year after top seat, that’s how F1 has always worked, you only have to look to the past. Ferrari struggling car or not, perfect example of old and new kid on the block.

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Maybe then again Toto is no fool either, it took Hamilton some time to sign that extension that everyone wanted, knew was going to happen.

Hamilton won’t be around forever, in 2 years Russell could be Toto’s ideal replacement. Next year he challenges, the year after top seat, that’s how F1 has always worked, you only have to look to the past. Ferrari struggling car or not, perfect example of old and new kid on the block.

Absolutely! The difference is, drivers of Russell's ilk have to wait a bit longer these days. Alonso had one season at Minardi before he joined the big leagues, Schumacher a handful of races for Jordan and the Merc Le Mans team, Raikkonen was in F1 just 2 years after karts. 

With improvements in safety and sports science, drivers are hanging around for a lot longer than they used to. 

Fingers crossed Russell gets a competitive car sooner rather than later.

On 29/03/2021 at 09:20, Duracell said:

It's another drive from Hamilton which further proves his legendary status. Bahrain this year and Turkey last season are two Grand Prix where he found a way to win without the fastest car, putting an embarrassing distance on his highly competent teammate. Consider those races with his 2019 title, where he won with the second (and by the end of the season, third) fastest car, and it ends any argument that he only wins because he has the best car. 

Won't argue with Hamilton's legendary status, never been a massive fan but have always respected his talent.

This 2019 3rd fastest car nonsense, where on earth are do you get that idea? 

Edited by ColonelBlimp
do do do

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Won't argue with Hamilton's legendary status, never been a massive fan but have always respected his talent.

This 2019 3rd fastest car nonsense, where on earth are do you get that idea? 

The fact that Ferrari took more pole positions and had many more front row lockouts, Red Bull took as many poles as Mercedes in the second half of the season, Ferrari continually lost races from a winning position due to driver/strategy error or reliability, Bottas often struggling in 5th, 6th or 7th on various circuits. By the final races of the season, there was very little to choose between the top 3 but Ferrari and Red Bull definitely had the edge.

On 30/03/2021 at 08:04, Duracell said:

Predicting Lewis Hamilton will retire at the end of this season, what does he have left to accomplish in the sport? 

Passing Schumacher in wins was the big one, does he have the desire to smash that one out the park for any other driver to beat? Might be wrong but I don't see it in him.

Wins it again this year which looks highly likely, go out on top, not wait for the Mercedes decline which will happen at some point, even if hard to imagine right now. Toto as already said he plans to stick his feet up in an office job at some point.

Can't see Hamilton sticking around the paddock either with a microphone, may make the odd appearance but I get the feeling he will become some kind of ambassador for a good causes around the world.

18 hours ago, Duracell said:

The fact that Ferrari took more pole positions and had many more front row lockouts, Red Bull took as many poles as Mercedes in the second half of the season, Ferrari continually lost races from a winning position due to driver/strategy error or reliability, Bottas often struggling in 5th, 6th or 7th on various circuits. By the final races of the season, there was very little to choose between the top 3 but Ferrari and Red Bull definitely had the edge.

In your opinion. The facts suggest otherwise.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/11/30/ranked-the-f1-cars-of-2019-from-fastest-to-slowest/

Bottas struggling is not indicative of a 3rd fastest car, it's more because he's not a top class driver, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, David said:

Predicting Lewis Hamilton will retire at the end of this season, what does he have left to accomplish in the sport? 

Passing Schumacher in wins was the big one, does he have the desire to smash that one out the park for any other driver to beat? Might be wrong but I don't see it in him.

Wins it again this year which looks highly likely, go out on top, not wait for the Mercedes decline which will happen at some point, even if hard to imagine right now. Toto as already said he plans to stick his feet up in an office job at some point.

Can't see Hamilton sticking around the paddock either with a microphone, may make the odd appearance but I get the feeling he will become some kind of ambassador for a good causes around the world.

Hamilton won't quit, not now he has competition, not with new regulations next year,and not while he's young enough and fit enough to see off his teammates with ease.

If he starts losing to Russell and next years car is no fun, then I think he might go at the end of 22 season.

I say losing to Russell because in what weird world will Bottas be back in the car next year?

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Hamilton won't quit, not now he has competition, not with new regulations next year,and not while he's young enough and fit enough to see off his teammates with ease.

If he starts losing to Russell and next years car is no fun, then I think he might go at the end of 22 season.

I say losing to Russell because in what weird world will Bottas be back in the car next year?

Maybe, just the impression I get that he has more than F1 going on in his life now, and with him no longer committing to deals beyond a year, think we’re entering that what am I doing here still stage.

On 31/03/2021 at 23:30, David said:

https://apple.news/A9DvXg1pVR5amlVzDiVgsVQ

This kind of proves your point. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He's deffo my fave driver this year.

Putting it into the wall whilst going into the pits is next level.

Not since peak Maldonado have we had a properly reckless and inept F1 driver to get behind.

Wonder if dad’s picking up the repair bills

Well...

Great weekend. Qualifying was fantastic and the race was a classic.

Hamilton's first mistake in about 3 years but he gets a bit of a luck with the Bottas/Russell crash and then fights through the field superbly at a narrow track, puts in fastest lap and maintains a 1 point lead in the Championship. Verstappen was class, barring that slightly sideways moment at the restart. First corner I think both did what they had to do - Hamilton had to show him that he wouldn't yield a corner without contact, for the psychological edge as much as anything and Verstappen got his elbows out just enough.

Norris was excellent all weekend and as a fan of Danny Ricciardo I'm slightly surprised how far behind he was in performance all weekend (no idea how he out-qualified Norris).

Gutted Russell couldn't get points.

Roll on Portimao.