Coventry v Derby Match Ratings

sage

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roos- 5  Poor for the goal, dithered most of the time e with his distribution and that was poor, yes I know it is harsh but we sit only a few points above the relegation with less and less games to play and I’ve had enough of this ‘they will come good and we need to not get on their back’ rubbish people keep spouting. 

Byrne- 2 His worst performance in a Derby shirt. Gave them the ball for the goal and that stemmed from our back line obsession with not looking forward. Shinnie was in space 10 yards from him, but because he thinks he’s playing rugby he didn’t go for the knock on. 

Wisdom- 2 Poor again. See no need (besides not having money to spend) on keeping him beyond his contract. Poor positionally, poor pace, poor reading of the game, poor in the challenge both for headers and with his feet and infuriating with his sideways passes. 

Clarke- 5 was the best of a bad bunch at the back. He was looking to get the ball forward more and was almost doing the job of two men with Wisdom being so poor. 

Buchanan- 3 Poor again. Dithers when he should cross or overlap and struggled defensively. And someone else take the throw in duty off him. I’ve never seen a Derby side so poor with throw ins and he is most of the problem. 

Roberts- 6 Was the only threat first half before he faded. Was always going to struggle second half as he got even less support than the first half. 

Shinnie- 2 Did he actually play? Poor covering for almost all second balls and awful passes out to a Blue shirt every time. 

Bird- 7 My MOTM  Did the job of 3 people. His job, covered for Shinnie most of the time and also Wisdom. Looked to get the ball moving forward but with such a static front line his job was uphill. 

Knight- 3 Not a wide man and today not a very good footballer. Runs around a lot but passes poor, positioning poor and forward contribution where he was played in both roles was non existent.  

Waghorn - 2 Should have come off way earlier. Another non game by him where anyone else playing would have made a difference. I really hope we don’t extend him either. 

CKR- 3 One of those games from him that reminded me of those games where we relied so much on Chris Martin and when he was off his game we lacked absolutely everything up front. Should have been booked earlier and was constantly on his heels and moaning rather than doing his job. Poor control, poor passing and movement was non existent. 

management - -5 For the Cardiff decision and today combined because neither worked and we lost valuable ground. 

Roos...............5 Not at fault for the goal; didn't have a great deal to do but was beaten by a couple of Coventry shots that fizzed wide. 

Byrne.............4 Poor by his usual standards. Gave the ball away needlessly to set up their goal. Lacked his usual energy and tempo. He's nullified by having Roberts in front of him.

Wisdom.........5 Off key; we look to AW as a potential character to lift a collective malaise but as Captain today he couldn't do this. 

Clarke............5 Off key. Also unable to shake the collective malaise that is starting to hang around the team like the smell of sulphurous eggs. 

Buchanan......5 Off key. Also unable to shake the collective malaise that is starting to hang around the team like the smell of sulphurous eggs. 

Roberts.........6 Bright moments first half but a threat in inverted commas because the end product isn't there. 

Bird...............6 Off key. Also unable to shake the collective malaise that is starting to hang around the team like the smell of sulphurous eggs.  

Knight..............5 Off key. Also unable to shake the collective malaise that is starting to hang around the team like the smell of sulphurous eggs.  

Waghorn.......3 I'd rather sit in a room infused with the smell of sulphurous eggs than watch Waghorn play football. 

CKR...............4 Off key. Also unable to shake the collective malaise that is starting to hang around the team like the smell of sulphurous eggs.  

Rooney.........4 Has he been at the pickled eggs? 

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Roos 5 - generally fine but some uncertain moments with ball at his feet. Beaten through his legs for their goal

Byrne 4 - poor. Clearly the pass to set up their goal has cost us the match but noticed a lack of urgency at other times particularly with failing to get the ball into the box

Wisdom 6 - OK but struggled with Biamou & couple of silly free kicks in dangerous areas. Also unwillingness to do anything with the ball other than generic sideways passing

Clarke 7 - good I thought. Always acting as last man to mop up defensive danger & got involved in play in last 20 mins by stepping up & moving into space

Buchanan 5 - disappointing again. Going forward he offered very little with some inexplicable dithering on crossing the ball from wide & defensively struggled with Dabo. Has gone back to looking quite weak/indecisive after a period where he looked dominant

Roberts 6 - good first half where he made a few runs down the right & won us a succession of free kicks down that side. Unfortunately he then proceeded to take them & often overhit them (should have been Byrne hitting outswingers really). Was fairly anonymous second half. Still think he's a number 10 not a winger

Shinnie 4 - contributed very little to the game. As they scored so early, his role in the side as defensive screen & winner of second balls was negated as we saw more of the ball. Consequently he just slowed down the play, handled the ball like a hot potato, lost it plenty of times with poor passes/decisions & was generally ineffectual until Rooney hooked him on 70 mins

Bird 7 MOM - the only player (other than Roberts first half & Louie Watson as sub) with any composure or class on the ball. Good range of passing long & short and between the lines. Lots of defensive work that probably overshadowed Shinnie in that respect also

Knight 5 - don't ever want to see Knight play LW again, he offers nothing out there. Better when he came more central second half but still struggled to make an impact on the game

Waghorn 4 - struggled to make an impact playing as a 10/deeper CF. Ideally you want someone with a smidge of creativity, composure & a quality touch playing that role - that's not Waggy's game. Struggling to remember anything he did from an attacking POV apart from unintentionally dummy the ball for Clarke's chance first half.

CKR 5 - tough day for Kazim against a batch of very good CBs for Coventry. Got little joy in the air from their back line but in fairness the delivery to him was generally straight, slow & misdirected. 

Pretty much saved me a post with that. And id reiterate your ratings

Roos 5

Byrne 4

Wisdom 6

Clarke 7

Buchanan 5

Roberts 6

Shinnie 4

Bird 7

Knight 5

Waghorn 4

CKR 5

Roos - 6 I obviously didn't think he had as bad a game as others! Not at fault for the goal, made some important punches and catches. Thought he did ok.  

Byrne - 5 The suicidal pass aside, he looks afflicted by the return to Cocu ball. One of our most consistent performers this season, he had none of the usual verve and confidence about him

Wisdom - 5 Usual sort of game for Wisdom at the moment, some good bits, but got bullied by their CF 

Clarke - 6 Did alright, main target from set pieces, he'll get a goal sooner or later.

Buchanan - 4 Looks bereft of confidence, we have good cover so perhaps needs some time out

Roberts - 5 Decent first half where he provided the only attacking outlet, disappeared as the game went on

Shinnie - 3 Simply not in the game

Bird - 5 We look to him to provide, but too much sideways and backwards again, woke up last 15 and started playing forward

Knight - 3 - Another one who looks like he needs a break

Waghorn - 3 I've spent most of the season thinking sooner or later Waggy will do something. I'm kind of giving up on that. 

CKR - 4 For the first time I can remember, he was actually second best to his markers today, struggled to control/hold the ball.

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Might look a bit like a history of our Eurovision Song Contest scores for the past eleven years ?

It's getting quite depressing. Fans lack of resilience is as bad as watching recent games.

Archived