Half time poll: Wayne's thinking?

IslandExile

Half time poll: Wayne's thinking?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

With 3 away games on the bounce, this being the first (which was always going to be the toughest) I think Wayne used this match to rest players, give the loanies a good run out, experiment with the formation/players. The next game is always going to be more inportant for points to put the club in a safe mid-table position. I will be happy with 3 pts next and a draw at Barnsley. The 4 points out of the 3 away games would be good return.

Coventry won’t be easy and can’t see us getting anything at Barnsley.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely seems like Rooney made the decision to write the game off and rest players. That’s a disgrace imo. There’s no team in this division that much better than another, it’s been said a million times before - anyone can beat anyone. We should have been going into that game with at least the aim of getting a point. And even if it wasn’t a game we had the faintest hope in, then I would still expect us to at least try and pull off a miracle, not give the game up like we did yesterday - we looked beaten from the first whistle, which is no surprise when you put out such a weak and disorganised team. I’d go as far as to say that performance was actually disrespectful, the players seemed to have so little clue what they were doing it was like they hadn’t even been coached. 

Rooney had better learn from his mistakes and not try that poo ever again. Last night was total managerial ineptitude, sending a team out so unprepared - the result is all on him. Shocking. Maybe if he actually used his subs a bit better in other games then he wouldn’t need to rest players? Regardless, if he wants to be a successful manager, then he’s going to have to set his teams up a lot better than last night, simple as that. Only one game of course, but too many like that and his managerial career will go down the drain.

8 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Can't say I've been impressed with Mengi.  In fact, I think he's been a bit Mingi up to now

No, he didn’t have a great debut. Taken off at half time?

maybe he should have gone off at half time yesterday too.

Nonsense to suggest Rooney threw the game...there are some on here just waiting to put the knife in..rarely giving him the credit he deserves for getting us to where we are...he is the manager..he saw players needed resting..he was looking at the bigger picture and rested them..nothing wrong with that at all..the team out there failed to perform but hopefully these rests will help keep our key players fit for the rest of the season..im sure some on here will actually be hoping we lose to Coventry...sad but very true..

Sometimes we may need to rest a couple of players but not 6 or 7 at once. If we do rest them then I can’t see that it is that beneficial if they then have to sit on a coach for two four hour journeys to Cardiff and back. If we are resting them then do exactly that. 

Players need to settle into a team and a way of playing. Shuffling the line up to that degree is asking for trouble. Similarly we ask them to pass one week, but hoof it and bypass the midfield the next. Our playing style has disintegrated. 
It’s too many mixed messages.

Believe in yourselves, but no actually just hoof it as our midfield will lose it otherwise. 

We have in general played well against top teams this season since Rooney took control, surprising he made so many change where if it was resting players, Derby being Derby v Coventry is a game we will struggle in so in a weird way would have made sense.

I guess his thinking is we need to take points off the teams around us, makes sense, if we do pick up 3 points against them, but pressure is on now.

Cardiff felt like a cup game, pressure is really on now to win on Saturday 

14 hours ago, David said:

We have in general played well against top teams this season since Rooney took control, surprising he made so many change where if it was resting players, Derby being Derby v Coventry is a game we will struggle in so in a weird way would have made sense.

I guess his thinking is we need to take points off the teams around us, makes sense, if we do pick up 3 points against them, but pressure is on now.

Cardiff felt like a cup game, pressure is really on now to win on Saturday 

Except without the passion, desire and excitement. 

If his attitude was, 'we are going to lose anyway', then he ain't no manager I want. I can't believe that of him though, he's a winner, his petulance as a player came from not winning. It's not in his DNA. I think he just fooked it up to be honest. He had a mare, we all do. I just hope he never does it again. 6 changes, players out of position WTF Wayne.

There were definitely managerial mistakes on Tuesday, but some typical over reactions on here. There isn't a manager in the land at any level who has not made the wrong call occasionally. Not one of them gets it right all the time. It is ludicrous, bordering on childish to suggest that he threw the match.

1 minute ago, bcnram said:

There were definitely managerial mistakes on Tuesday, but some typical over reactions on here. There isn't a manager in the land at any level who has not made the wrong call occasionally. Not one of them gets it right all the time. It is ludicrous, bordering on childish to suggest that he threw the match.

Has anyone suggested he threw the match? I’m hoping my post wasn’t read that way. 

No manager with any integrity would throw a match, I do believe they prioritise games despite this “we’re only focusing on the next game”.

The game has changed, the tempo, injuries, players can’t be expected to play twice a week without getting knackered. 

Jason Knight for example, just a kid really having turned 20 but has played the most minutes out of anyone in the team with 2792, only 26 Championship players have played more than him this season.

Suggesting Rooney may see Saturday’s game as being more winnable, doesn’t mean he put a team out to fail, as Angry said, Rooney is a born winner, it’s not in his DNA. I’m sure the team he put out he believed could get a result.

On the night, we’ll we saw that wasn’t the case at all.

On 05/03/2021 at 11:12, David said:

Has anyone suggested he threw the match? I’m hoping my post wasn’t read that way. 

No manager with any integrity would throw a match, I do believe they prioritise games despite this “we’re only focusing on the next game”.

The game has changed, the tempo, injuries, players can’t be expected to play twice a week without getting knackered. 

Jason Knight for example, just a kid really having turned 20 but has played the most minutes out of anyone in the team with 2792, only 26 Championship players have played more than him this season.

Suggesting Rooney may see Saturday’s game as being more winnable, doesn’t mean he put a team out to fail, as Angry said, Rooney is a born winner, it’s not in his DNA. I’m sure the team he put out he believed could get a result.

On the night, we’ll we saw that wasn’t the case at all.

I agree with all of that apart from the first seven words. 
I don’t like throwing crap at individuals, so didn’t specify Millennium Ram. x

Archived