The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Highest daily cases in UK since March

The number of cases reported today, 6,238, is the highest figure reported since 2 March.

The seven-day average for cases is up by 40%, amid concerns the Delta variant is fuelling a rise in infections.

However, the seven-day average for deaths is down by 5.2% and hospitalisations are down by 2.2%.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

We're boned

We really aren't. 

The large large majority do their best to apply common sense, even when the guidance is hard to follow.

Don't be fooled by the knob heads on Good Morning Britain, and the likes, trying to convince you that the guidance is just too hard to understand.

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Im an advocate of opening up right away.

But...its silly comparing positive case increases with hospitalization/death rate increases on the same day, as there is a lag in the data.

If hospitalizations/deaths are still at the same rates in 2 weeks there can be no excuse for delaying removing all restrictions.

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Im an advocate of opening up right away.

But...its silly comparing positive case increases with hospitalization/death rate increases on the same day, as there is a lag in the data.

If hospitalizations/deaths are still at the same rates in 2 weeks there can be no excuse for delaying removing all restrictions.

I was just posting some of the 'data' that gets bandied about. I went to the ONS website and that's not much better. The latest infections rise by two-thirds is just as meaningless.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was just posting some of the 'data' that gets bandied about. I went to the ONS website and that's not much better. The latest infections rise by two-thirds is just as meaningless.

But obviously wont be meaningless if that translates into hospitalizations and deaths a couple of weeks down the road (I dont see why it will though).

With 75% of adults having had 1 jab and over 50% having had 2, we really are at the stage of managing their own risk.

Pretty much all of the vulnerable people have been vaccinated, if they dont feel safe now I am not sure then they ever will.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But obviously wont be meaningless if that translates into hospitalizations and deaths a couple of weeks down the road (I dont see why it will though).

And that's partly why it's meaningless. Why not also consider with the above the statement that hospitalisations and deaths are down? Does it mean they're two-thirds less down?!

The stuff on the Delta virus is interesting too: "ONS...found a growing proportion looked like they were the Delta variant.

The test used to work out if someone has coronavirus looks at three of the virus's genes, one of which cannot be detected in the Kent - now named the Alpha - variant.

However a rising number of the ONS's samples did test positive for that gene, suggesting it is most likely the Delta variant (but could also be the Beta or Gamma variants found in South Africa and Brazil).

What was that about something something data?!

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

We really aren't. 

The large large majority do their best to apply common sense, even when the guidance is hard to follow.

Don't be fooled by the knob heads on Good Morning Britain, and the likes, trying to convince you that the guidance is just too hard to understand.

I know.

We really need a 'sarcasm' key, but in my case I'd wear it out.

Excellent take up rates, certainly amongst those 50+ years old.  Not surprising imo to see the figures fall off as the age groups get younger due to less chance that the vaccine has been offered to everyone and increasing concerns over any long term effects that may or may not arise.  

Has anyone been offered the jab yet and not been for their appointment?  And how do you feel about giving it to your kids?  Mine are 18yo and 13yo - the older one doesn't want it whereas the younger one does.  To be perfectly honest, I won't be pushing either to have it.  I'll be honest if they ask for advice but it will be their choice. 

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Excellent take up rates, certainly amongst those 50+ years old.  Not surprising imo to see the figures fall off as the age groups get younger due to less chance that the vaccine has been offered to everyone and increasing concerns over any long term effects that may or may not arise.  

Has anyone been offered the jab yet and not been for their appointment?  And how do you feel about giving it to your kids?  Mine are 18yo and 13yo - the older one doesn't want it whereas the younger one does.  To be perfectly honest, I won't be pushing either to have it.  I'll be honest if they ask for advice but it will be their choice. 

I’m 30 and I’ve been offered the jab but I’ve been finding excuses not to go for the last 2 weeks. Im not “anti-vaxx” I’ve had all my immunisations and my 2 year old is up to date with all of hers. Quite frankly I’m worried about becoming one of the anomaly statistics that die after having the vaccine, when I’ve had mates that have had the virus and been ill for a week or so. I’m self employed also so even any short term side effects would hamper my ability to provide. A friend had his second jab 2 weeks ago and hasn’t been able to lift his arm above his head since, I know these are rare but they have to happen so somebody right?

My Mrs is 7 months pregnant and she won’t be having the vaccine either. They’ve told her it’s safe but I’m fairly certain there wouldn’t have been swathes of pregnant women willing to take part in the trials so how would they know?!

Edited by QuitYourJibbaJivin

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Im not “anti-vaxx” I’ve had all my immunisations and my 2 year old is up to date with all of hers. Quite frankly I’m worried about becoming one of the anomaly statistics that die after having the vaccine, when I’ve had mates that have had the virus and been ill for a week or so. I’m self employed also so even any short term side effects would hamper my ability to provide.

Well the virus isn't going away - it will always be here (like flu is). So you have to consider who it is getting ill and why - see Bolton.

On 29/05/2021 at 16:54, angieram said:

Population densities per square mile:

London 14,670

Leicester 12,000

Dallas 3,818

Austin 3,059

Houston 3,622

Now don't you go getting all data savvy on us Angie..... 

I would expect Leicester to be fairly typical of English provincial cities. Was there any reason why they were included as opposed to Birmingham or Manchester etc... 

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Now don't you go getting all data savvy on us Angie..... 

I would expect Leicester to be fairly typical of English provincial cities. Was there any reason why they were included as opposed to Birmingham or Manchester etc... 

Yes, I could only find stats for Birmingham and Manchester in km2 and I couldn't work out how to convert them. ??

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well the virus isn't going away - it will always be here (like flu is). So you have to consider who it is getting ill and why - see Bolton.

You’re right the virus will always be here. Do you think the government will pay to vaccinate the entire population every year knowing full well most people won’t be severely affected? 

4 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

You’re right the virus will always be here. Do you think the government will pay to vaccinate the entire population every year knowing full well most people won’t be severely affected? 

I imagine it will be like flu vaccinations.

9 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I don't think that the money actually comes out of MPs' pockets, so yes.