The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Public opinion is against the pair of you, fortunately, like it is in respect of your views on the main subject of this thread.

BTW, if Nurses simply "worked to rule" i.e did no more than they were paid to do, the impact on the Health Service would be more damaging than strike action. If they'd done that during the height of the pandemic, thousands more would have died. 

But you lads keep channelling your inner Julia Hartley-Brewers and playing the government's useful idiots and pray you don't need medical assistance anytime soon. 

29 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Public opinion is against the pair of you, fortunately, like it is in respect of your views on the main subject of this thread.

BTW, if Nurses simply "worked to rule" i.e did no more than they were paid to do, the impact on the Health Service would be more damaging than strike action. If they'd done that during the height of the pandemic, thousands more would have died. 

But you lads keep channelling your inner Julia Hartley-Brewers and playing the government's useful idiots and pray you don't need medical assistance anytime soon. 

ahhhhhh next up ,, government s useful idiots , do you have a left wing virtue signallers book of handy phrases you work to ?
I’ve got not a jot of time for this government and even less for the next splinter bummed clown comming up ,

you keep channeling your inner mick lynch brother 

pray we don’t need medical assistance that I’ve paid for for the last 45 years ? Too right brother , waiting days for an ambulance to a hospital with non existent nurses ain’t gonna save us ,perhaps a few choruses of cumbuya might get me through

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Blimey, even after the last 3 years, you still believe that the 'public opinion' that you read in The Independent or The Guardian actually reflects reality ?

FWIW I have no problem with nurses getting payrises, as long as they are reasonable. I don't think 19% rises are reasonable personally.

Anything beyond reasonable needs to be funded internally by the NHS not by coming cap in hand to the taxpayer, many who are struggling themselves and many, who @Archiedhas pointed out will be on less money than the nurses.

As nobody else has answered yet, I will try with you, what should nurses be earning and what do you base your figure on?

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

As nobody else has answered yet, I will try with you, what should nurses be earning and what do you base your figure on?

I don't suppose any of us could put a figure on what nurses should be earning. If you look at the reasons they say they are striking its because they feel they haven't had a pay rise in real terms since 2010 and morale and lack of staff retention has put intolerable pressure on them. Part of the unions argument is that a decent pay rise would help to attract people back into the NHS which would alleviate the dreadful state its in atm.

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don't suppose any of us could put a figure on what nurses should be earning. If you look at the reasons they say they are striking its because they feel they haven't had a pay rise in real terms since 2010 and morale and lack of staff retention has put intolerable pressure on them. Part of the unions argument is that a decent pay rise would help to attract people back into the NHS which would alleviate the dreadful state its in atm.

From what I can see, NHS staffing levels are at a record high?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-numbers-of-staff-working-in-the-nhs#:~:text=Record numbers of staff are,published by NHS Digital shows.&text=There are over 1.2 million,%2C up by over 2.5%.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ah yes, the inconvenient truth. It is not the numbers that is the big problem with the NHS, it’s the inefficiency. Good luck to anyone trying to tackle that - oh the left will squeal.

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Ah yes, the inconvenient truth. It is not the numbers that is the big problem with the NHS, it’s the inefficiency. Good luck to anyone trying to tackle that - oh the left will squeal.

But tackle it we must.

Both myself and my mum have had major ops on the NHS in the last 6 months and both us and everyone else in the bays we occupied had horrible, stressful day long waits to be discharged because the pharmacy seems woefully understaffed and unable to cope with dispensing prescriptions in a timely manner. I mean, they know how many beds there are and how many projected discharges per day. You just employ enough staff to cover that surely? Then the beds are freed up for others that actually need them and not those who are fit to go home but being forced to stay until their prescription is ready

Instead, why not employ a load of nonclinical statisticians to try and analyse why people aren't being discharged quickly enough ?

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

But tackle it we must.

Both myself and my mum have had major ops on the NHS in the last 6 months and both us and everyone else in the bays we occupied had horrible, stressful day long waits to be discharged because the pharmacy seems woefully understaffed and unable to cope with dispensing prescriptions in a timely manner. I mean, they know how many beds there are and how many projected discharges per day. You just employ enough staff to cover that surely? Then the beds are freed up for others that actually need them and not those who are fit to go home but being forced to stay until their prescription is ready

Instead, why not employ a load of nonclinical statisticians to try and analyse why people aren't being discharged quickly enough ?

Or maybe stop spending £40m a year on 'diversity and inclusion' staff?

24 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Looks like there won't be for long :

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/nhs-staff-quit-record-numbers-ptsd-covid-pandemic-trauma-1387115

I wonder if the government has been massaging the statistics again? 

'Almost 7,000 left due to concerns about their work-life balance between July and September last year, the single biggest reason for leaving apart from contracts ending.'

7000 left for work/life balance and even more from contracts due to be ending anyway. Depends what stats you want to use and how to use them, but they are the reasons for over half those who have left. Not much you can do about that for a 24/7 organisation. 

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

7000 left for work/life balance and even more from contracts due to be ending anyway. Depends what stats you want to use and how to use them, but they are the reasons for over half those who have left. Not much you can do about that for a 24/7 organisation. 

You can give them a shift pattern that doesn't burn them out, and employ sufficient staff to allow for absences to be covered and proper handovers, rest breaks etc to be possible. 

Hospitals have always been 24/7 organisations - they didn't always burn out their staff. 

25 minutes ago, Crewton said:

You can give them a shift pattern that doesn't burn them out, and employ sufficient staff to allow for absences to be covered and proper handovers, rest breaks etc to be possible. 

Hospitals have always been 24/7 organisations - they didn't always burn out their staff. 

If that 7000 was replicated that would be 28000 leaving in a year due to work/life balance.

28000 out of 1200000 is approximately 2%.

2% of staff leaving because of work life balance. 

Whilst on the subject of absences, maybe if the NHS didnt offer 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay then maybe the number of absences that needed covering would miraculously drop?

Why not just have their staff on SSP?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If that 7000 was replicated that would be 28000 leaving in a year due to work/life balance.

28000 out of 1200000 is approximately 2%.

2% of staff leaving because of work life balance. 

Whilst on the subject of absences, maybe if the NHS didnt offer 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay then maybe the number of absences that needed covering would miraculously drop?

Why not just have their staff on SSP?

Because they have a mortgage to pay and food to purchase to avoid death.

I've been down the SSP route on a casual contract.  Good luck surviving on 14 quid a day when you can't work.  Would you rather have someone with cancer or indeed a mental health illness continuing to drag their arse into work.  Maybe the pressure would result in suicide . That'll teach em for being ill or maybe having a spot of PTSD that needs attention.  They don't offer the full sick pay for 4 years by the way and it's on a sliding 12 month scale. 

Truly odious

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Because they have a mortgage to pay and food to purchase to avoid death.

I've been down the SSP route on a casual contract.  Good luck surviving on 14 quid a day when you can't work.  Would you rather have someone with cancer or indeed a mental health illness continuing to drag their arse into work.  Maybe the pressure would result in suicide . That'll teach em for being ill or maybe having a spot of PTSD that needs attention.  They don't offer the full sick pay for 4 years by the way and it's on a sliding 12 month scale. 

Truly odious

I also have a mortgage to pay and food to buy for me and my children, I only get SSP if Im off sick.

I pay for insurance to cover my salary in case of any unexpected serious illnesses?

Odious? Does that mean I smell?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I also have a mortgage to pay and food to buy for me and my children, I only get SSP if Im off sick.

I pay for insurance to cover my salary in case of any unexpected serious illnesses?

Odious? Does that mean I smell?

Apply for a job at with the NHS and get yourself a massive salary for sitting on the bog reading the paper and smoking 20 fags, never ending sick leave and one of these gold plated pensions allowing you to buy a beach front condo in Florida you keep reading about.  

Countless staff who work there are on ad hoc contracts that pay the living wage- was minimum till 3 years ago and SSP.