The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Love this from the BBC:-

"Meanwhile, a report by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine has suggested the UK will face a substantial wave of Omicron infections in January without further restrictions, beyond Plan B."

They will literally quote anyone who predicts bad news.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There is also another difference, percentage of population vaccinated:-

Uk 81%

South Africa 23%

What this and @GboroRam stats mean that it's impossible to extrapolate from the South Africa experience to predict what will happen here.  There are too many variables.

S.A has a young population, low vaccination rates and high levels of infection from Delta.

U.K. has old population, high vaccination rates and low levels of infection from Delta.

All we can do is watch and wait. 

9 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

The media? Yes - and of course you can work out why. They make money from it

I don't think the government have anything to do with the media clickbait frenzy. They probably like it when it benefits them (slaughtering Corbyn, vote leave etc) but I suspect that BJ and co probably hate it right now as it shines far too bright a light on their decision making process

Yeah I get that, a bit of clickbait is to be expected.

I can't help feeling that what has been happening recently however is a little bit more sinister.  The Guardian and The Times printing outright lies, the BBC deliberately misleading with a similar article. TV shows promoting misinformation and despite 1000s of Ofcom reports, repeating the lies the next day.  Governments around the world ignoring their own data and science, implementing passports, threatening mandatory vaccinations, blaming unvaccinated when evidence to the contrary is already irrefutable. 

For example, a tweet from my guy Jamie yesterday...

When you look at the data, look at what is happening in the real world, look at the thousands upon thousands protesting around the world again yesterday, you can't help but feel the 'freedom noose' is tightening. 

Maybe I'm just reaching the end of my tether with covid.  

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

What this and @GboroRam stats mean that it's impossible to extrapolate from the South Africa experience to predict what will happen here.  There are too many variables.

S.A has a young population, low vaccination rates and high levels of infection from Delta.

U.K. has old population, high vaccination rates and low levels of infection from Delta.

All we can do is watch and wait. 

Yes and in the meantime get on with our lives as normal.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or keeping 2 metres away from people that do not wish to wear a mask.

Thats not much to ask either.

It really is though.

There are many people who have no choice but to come into contact with the public everyday. Usually low-paid workers who can't choose to keep 2 metres away or work from home. People working in shops, bars, public transport. The only choice they have is to be close to non-mask wearers or have no household income.

Those who "do not wish to wear a mask" should try looking at the world through other's eyes for a while and work on their sense of compassion and empathy.

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

It really is though.

There are many people who have no choice but to come into contact with the public everyday. Usually low-paid workers who can't choose to keep 2 metres away or work from home. People working in shops, bars, public transport. The only choice they have is to be close to non-mask wearers or have no household income.

Those who "do not wish to wear a mask" should try looking at the world through other's eyes for a while and work on their sense of compassion and empathy.

Every shop that I go in has perspex screens up and the staff wearing masks. Admittedly I don't do much shopping. 

I thought 'the science' said that you're only likely to catch the virus if you're in close contact with people for 15 minutes or more?

I'll try and find a link or, failing that, admit I've just made that up ?

4 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Just a thought.. Anyone suggested yet the idea that the unvaccinated (adults) should shield until the Omicron burns it’s way out..

Discuss, throw knives.. etc

I'm double jabbed and would be extremely uncomfortable with that suggestion personally.

I'm responsible for my own health and my own actions.

I wouldn't want anyone's lives to be impeded to keep me safe from a virus that I am highly unlikely to have any serious illness from.

8 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Just a thought.. Anyone suggested yet the idea that the unvaccinated (adults) should shield until the Omicron burns it’s way out..

Also, out of interest, why would you want the Omicron variant to burn its way out?

Early indications from what I have heard on the news are that it is mire transmissible but symptoms less severe.

If that is the case, and they really should be getting indications of this by now, we should be letting it run its course.

13 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

On the contrary - If its as mild as early indications suggest, now is the time to have Omicron parties!

38 minutes ago, maxjam said:

On the contrary - If its as mild as early indications suggest, now is the time to have Omicron parties!

Think is though we need to take into account the predictions from the Society of Tropical Plants who have warned that we could be looking at 1m deaths every half an hour if we are not careful.

Its all so very delicately poised.

52 minutes ago, maxjam said:

You know how this works now, we need to give it two weeks, we’ll know for sure then. However if still have two weeks the cases are high but hospitalisations and deaths are low, then we’ll lockdown just in case. We’ll need to lockdown for two weeks of course, then after that two weeks if hospitalisations and deaths are still low then hey presto lockdown works. 

9 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

No need for that.  If the jabs work, then jabbed are in no danger from the non jabbed, if they don't it also becomes a non issue.

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think is though we need to take into account the predictions from the Society of Tropical Plants who have warned that we could be looking at 1m deaths every half an hour if we are not careful.

Its all so very delicately poised.

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times etc etc.

Does anyone else read Dr  Hammond's MD page in Private Eye? If not, I can highly recommend it. I can't see any political slant there, just the pandemic as seen from the point of view of a doctor. So much common sense and compassion. I wish I could post a link, but I don't think it's possible without infringing copyrights.