The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

49 minutes ago, Archied said:

And you keep throwing out privileged out of touch garbage that’s astoundingly crass and stupid ,

anybody can open a brokers account and buy shares or options ??????????

oh what a sheltered life we lead , there’s people that can’t even afford to feed they’re kids properly and don’t have the education/skills to help them with they’re homework let alone open a brokers account then peruse and buy shares and options and that’s just in this country let alone proper poor countries ,

reckon that’s enough explaining for you to be going on with for now ,come back for more if you ever actually grasp real life for real people beyond your life

Privileged out of touch garbage? Man I live in a third world country. I’m surrounded by poverty.

But even within that, the majority of the people still have access to the internet, a bank account and government ID which are the only requirements to open a brokerage account to buy shares and options.

Grasp real life? Come on buddy, I live in a country where interest rates are 10%+, credit schemes are offered out where people spend a lifetime paying off a house which costs no more than £15k to build, where the minimum wage is like £6 a day and you’re more likely to turn to crime than get a higher education. 

Just for reference my last job was teaching at the uni and I was on £6 an hour. Pretty decent pay out here. 

I’m fortunate, but my girlfriend’s family and several of my friends live in poverty. Yet they still have internet, bank accounts and a government ID.

But we’re going off track here.

Please explain to me the ‘follow the money’ buzz phrase. I can’t quite grasp it. 

56 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I can assure you that people working on the shop floor in factories on, or just above, minimum wage, are not about to open a brokers account. They haven't got the time or money after working unsociable shift hours,, looking after elderly relatives or helping out grown up kids with unpaid childcare, scratting  a bit of overtime to maybe afford a few extras for the house.....life is very tough for a hell of a lot of people out there Bris.

I’m not trying to be insensitive, but people on minimum wage in the UK working on a factory floor (with the NHS, security benefits, shift hours) sure as hell beats numerous options out here. Why do you think there are huge influxes of people who cross the border into the States willing to do the dirty work many Americans aren’t?

What you described is a stable life for some.

I know there will be extreme cases. But there seems to be a lot of exaggerations going on both ends of the spectrum.

I just can’t understand this logic of this all being a money-spinning cahoot while the non-rich suffer.

Truly poor people will suffer. Truly wealthy people may benefit. I call that unfortunate coincidence, not some wild plot. But for many of us inbetween, it’s a case of trying to make the most of the horrible past 2 years. And for those who cry foul by these greedy pharmaceutical companies, you’ve had the opportunity to make some money out of it too because they are public companies.

54 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Privileged out of touch garbage? Man I live in a third world country. I’m surrounded by poverty.

But even within that, the majority of the people still have access to the internet, a bank account and government ID which are the only requirements to open a brokerage account to buy shares and options.

Grasp real life? Come on buddy, I live in a country where interest rates are 10%+, credit schemes are offered out where people spend a lifetime paying off a house which costs no more than £15k to build, where the minimum wage is like £6 a day and you’re more likely to turn to crime than get a higher education. 

Just for reference my last job was teaching at the uni and I was on £6 an hour. Pretty decent pay out here. 

I’m fortunate, but my girlfriend’s family and several of my friends live in poverty. Yet they still have internet, bank accounts and a government ID.

But we’re going off track here.

Please explain to me the ‘follow the money’ buzz phrase. I can’t quite grasp it. 

With all the above please explain why you are so out of touch, 

37 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m not trying to be insensitive, but people on minimum wage in the UK working on a factory floor (with the NHS, security benefits, shift hours) sure as hell beats numerous options out here. Why do you think there are huge influxes of people who cross the border into the States willing to do the dirty work many Americans aren’t?

What you described is a stable life for some.

I know there will be extreme cases. But there seems to be a lot of exaggerations going on both ends of the spectrum.

I just can’t understand this logic of this all being a money-spinning cahoot while the non-rich suffer.

Truly poor people will suffer. Truly wealthy people may benefit. I call that unfortunate coincidence, not some wild plot. But for many of us inbetween, it’s a case of trying to make the most of the horrible past 2 years. And for those who cry foul by these greedy pharmaceutical companies, you’ve had the opportunity to make some money out of it too because they are public companies.

Truly bizarre 

As England return to mandatory wearing of masks when entering a shop. It's the shop workers who will again have to deal with the selfish people who refuse to wear a mask, I'll have sympathy for. Especially when they get abused for asking some of these bamfords to put on a mask. 

Edited by 1of4

8 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

As England return to mandatory wearing of masks when entering a shop. It's the shop workers who will again have to deal with the selfish people who refuse to wear a mask, I'll have sympathy for. Especially when they get abused for asking some of these bamfords to put on a mask. 

With you totally on that ,anyone that would abuse a shop worker in that position is quite an unpleasant person , not sure I’m into throwing round stuff like bamfords in the way you do but hey whatever makes you feel good

1 hour ago, Archied said:

With all the above please explain why you are so out of touch, 

Why are you refusing to answer a simple question? Come on man. Explain your repeated phrase of ‘follow the money’... 

Calling me naive, privileged and out of touch. I’m obviously missing something here. 

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why are you refusing to answer a simple question? Come on man. Explain your repeated phrase of ‘follow the money’... 

Calling me naive, privileged and out of touch. I’m obviously missing something here. 

Follow the money === we’ll know tried and tested method of solving crimes , exposing fraud’s, unraveling messes , showing motivation s and conflicts of interests whether criminal or just plain disgusting,

perhaps for fun to give this new concept a run , look at say how the friend and landlord of the local pub of our ex health minister with NO background lands multi millions contract to supply ppe, from there your off and running don’t come back for multiple easy examples like it’s some silly game ,

have you considered setting up one of those make thousands from home companies with the ads, your really on to something and could wipe out poverty at a stroke , get the poor to gamble money they havnt got on stocks and shares they don’t understand, just leave out the investment s can fall as well as rise warning and I reckon your on a winner , or at least somebody will be , hoora for unfortunate coincidences,

thanks for the heads up tooI didn’t realise private individuals could make billions from public listed companies,why it’s almost co op

as I said truly bizarre 

Edited by Archied

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think there is clearly a lot of people eating from the Covid trough and getting very fat.

But, I think that's merely a correlation.

In any time of crisis opportunists will take advantage and corrupt politicians and business people will use the situation to line their own pockets.

However, I don't think Government decisions like reintroducing the mask mandate has got anything to do with money, that just softens the blow for them.

The last thing Johnson wants to have to do is tell people to start wearing masks again at the moment.

Anybody who thinks this entire thing can be explained just by following the money, and I'm not suggesting @Archied is saying that, I honestly doubt it but there are dozens of pages in this thread I haven't read, probably worries about falling off the edge of the world.

10 hours ago, Archied said:

Nope very much don’t make a habit of it thank you ,spent the last two years following rules I very much don’t agree with an I can tell you I’ve followed them better than a lot of hypocrites who supported those rules giving it the big un about how we all should but bending them to suit themselves,, 

as for looking after family ,I want my kids to think for themselves and be brave enough to stand up for what they think is right when they believe they need to

Or, to read that another way, teach them to ignore the rules and break the law when it suits them. Nice example to set. It’s not as the wearing of a mask just when you go into a shop is a major infringement of civil liberties that needs to be fought against.

Edited by Tamworthram

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Or, to read that another way, teach them to ignore the rules and break the law when it suits them. Nice example to set. It’s not as the wearing of a mask just when you go into a shop is a major infringement of civil liberties that needs to be fought against.

Yep you could read it that way if it suits but given the fact my daughter is a teacher doing her masters at the moment and a lovely level headed girl , my son works with me and is as nice a lad as you could wish to meet I’m very comfortable in how I have brought my children up and the example my wife and I have set them thanks 

Edited by Archied

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Well, @Archied said on Friday something along the lines of "That's it, I'm never wearing a mask again". It'll be interesting to see how that pans out given the new regulations.

Memsahib's ill at the moment, yet I'm tickety-boo, despite being the person who normally catches everything, albeit mildly, with the exception of swine flu which ruined my lungs. She's showing all the signs of a raging head cold (aka the "I'm fully vaccinated" Covid-19 signs - runny nose, continuous sneezing, sore throat), yet for me, not a sniffle. Test kits arriving this morning. Over the last 2 weeks, we've done a few shopping trips and half a dozen bus journeys (two of which were very crowded) - and mask-wearing seemed almost non-existent in most instances. I haven't been 'pinged'.

I think the general public might be more behind the mask policy, if it made more sense. 

Either make masks mandatory, or don't. 

I have no issues using them, BUT....

I'm usually doing shopping in a supermarket, before 7 in the morning. Sometimes before 6. The place is the size of a cathedral, and there's hardly anyone around. As I said, I've no problem doing that with a mask on, but it does seem unnecessary. I could have been in a pub or club the previous night, and that doesn't need a mask?!?

14 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep you could read it that way if it suits but given the fact my daughter is a teacher doing her masters at the moment and a lovely level headed girl , my son works with me and is as nice a lad as you could wish to meet I’m very comfortable in how I have brought my children up and the example my wife and I have set them thanks 

You strike me as a very sensible person and no doubt a good parent which is why I was surprised that you’d condone the breaking of such an inoffensive rule as wearing masks for the brief period of your life that you’re in a shop. No doubt some would suggest it’s just the thin end of the wedge for other restrictions to be imposed but, complying with this simple rule doesn’t necessarily compel us to accept others without question or protest. I’d support a national DNA database but not something more extreme as tracking devices. I support CCTV in most public areas but not in more private ones.

This one really is a genuine question, I shan’t come back at you regardless of your answer. If you were asked by some poor employee tasked with challenging shoppers that didn’t have a mask on, what would you do?

Leave the store and not do your shopping there in the hope that you wouldn’t get the same question at an alternative shop.

Grudgingly put a mask on.

Ignore the shop assistant and continue.

Get into a debate/argument with the poor soul.

7 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I think the general public might be more behind the mask policy, if it made more sense. 

Either make masks mandatory, or don't. 

I have no issues using them, BUT....

I'm usually doing shopping in a supermarket, before 7 in the morning. Sometimes before 6. The place is the size of a cathedral, and there's hardly anyone around. As I said, I've no problem doing that with a mask on, but it does seem unnecessary. I could have been in a pub or club the previous night, and that doesn't need a mask?!?

I agree. It doesn’t always make sense but, like you, I will comply.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

You strike me as a very sensible person and no doubt a good parent which is why I was surprised that you’d condone the breaking of such an inoffensive rule as wearing masks for the brief period of your life that you’re in a shop. No doubt some would suggest it’s just the thin end of the wedge for other restrictions to be imposed but, complying with this simple rule doesn’t necessarily compel us to accept others without question or protest. I’d support a national DNA database but not something more extreme as tracking devices. I support CCTV in most public areas but not in more private ones.

This one really is a genuine question, I shan’t come back at you regardless of your answer. If you were asked by some poor employee tasked with challenging shoppers that didn’t have a mask on, what would you do?

Leave the store and not do your shopping there in the hope that you wouldn’t get the same question at an alternative shop.

Grudgingly put a mask on.

Ignore the shop assistant and continue.

Get into a debate/argument with the poor soul.

First and foremost the issue of dns database , cctv stuff is a debate to have and I see positive s and negative s but that’s the point debate and proper process ,

shops mask issue 

non essential shops I will not spend money in if forced to wear a mask,

essential like food , chemists and the like , I will be be polite to staff , ask to be dealt with by a manager , ask them to facilitate being able to purchase what I NEED without me entering the shop , if not I will stay in the shop mask less as far away from people as possible and politely request the manager calls police to remove and arrest me,

now I know the it’s just a mask to some but I now have real issues over what is being done and how it’s being done in the name of COVID and believe it’s time to make a stand , remember two weeks to flatten the curve?‍♂️
However this all pans out I will behave with decency,

I will not be doing any pretence and sneaking around bending rules whilst pretending to be following them ,

I will never again be stopped from seeing family and friends that are ok to mix?‍♂️

Wonder how many people will wear masks tonight in the pub before hand, in the concourse and the in the ground. I’d imagine not very many. Then next Friday/Saturday night as we move into December and the pubs start getting full of parties etc, how many will wear masks, virtually no one. What’s the point in public transport and shops when you don’t cover all the other areas?. Why don’t people follow the rules, because they don’t make any sense and they don’t work. 

34 minutes ago, Archied said:

essential like food , chemists and the like , I will be be polite to staff , ask to be dealt with by a manager , ask them to facilitate being able to purchase what I NEED without me entering the shop , if not I will stay in the shop mask less as far away from people as possible and politely request the manager calls police to remove and arrest me,

Wouldn't it be easier just to say you're exempt, if you feel like that?.

I haven't worn a mask for ages. Had a day & night out in Birmingham last Friday. Packed with people in shops & bars, almost nobody wearing masks. Had a great time. Got a sore throat over the weekend so did LFT's yesterday just to be safe - negative.

However, it's not a hill I'm prepared to die on, so as of tomorrow I'll be wearing a mask in shops again. I don't feel it's a big deal and don't feel like my liberties are being eroded.

But that's just me.

36 minutes ago, Archied said:

First and foremost the issue of dns database , cctv stuff is a debate to have and I see positive s and negative s but that’s the point debate and proper process ,

shops mask issue 

non essential shops I will not spend money in if forced to wear a mask,

now I know the it’s just a mask to some but I now have real issues over what is being done and how it’s being done in the name of COVID and believe it’s time to make a stand , remember two weeks to flatten the curve?‍♂️
However this all pans out I will behave with decency,

I will not be doing any pretence and sneaking around bending rules whilst pretending to be following them ,

I will never again be stopped from seeing family and friends that are ok to mix?‍♂️

Also forgot to add I will also be making a stand on masks in support of my wife who is exempt but was treated disgustingly and with aggression at times last time by big man mask zealots emboldened by the fact she a 5 foot nothing little woman