The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

Was the science nonsense or gospel when the experts initially told everyone that masks were pointless?

Was the science nonsense or gospel when the experts decreed it was racist to limit travel from China and international borders should remain open?

It's difficult to tell the difference between experts and conspiracy theorists nowadays, especially when one can easily morph into the other.

Dont forget the social distancing advice...2 metres away, no 1 way metre away, no don't be close to someone for more than 15 minutes!

3 hours ago, Anon said:

Was the science nonsense or gospel when the experts initially told everyone that masks were pointless?  

That was likely politically motivated, as we were in a desperate place due to a national shortage of PPE. As pretty much every other developed country recommended them, and studies have shown that they offer a benefit against spreading the virus, I'd say it was nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Anon said:

Was the science nonsense or gospel when the experts decreed it was racist to limit travel from China and international borders should remain open?

Thay was stupidity. To not even temperature check people coming in was neglect. 

3 hours ago, Anon said:

It's difficult to tell the difference between experts and conspiracy theorists nowadays, especially when one can easily morph into the other.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

How is the poster putting lives at danger out of interest?

I've also not seen any anti-vaccine nonesense from him, he has said he is double jabbed which would seem to indicate, to me anyway, that he is not anti vaccine. 

The poster actually raised a valid point. @JoetheRamclaimed it was the vaccine stopped him from catching Covid from his partner, and although that may have been the case, there is no way of knowing if it did, the poster then gave an example which proved its not always the vaccine that stops you from catching it from your partner. 

Seems you are just attacking the poster rather than any point they have made on the basis they are not a scientific expert?

You may not have noticed but despite the number of scientific experts across the world, the number of deaths from this pandemic is in the millions, so they obviously don't always get everything right...

It’s so hard to even have a proper conversation / exchange of views with lots of people nowadays, 

I notice Roy has not put forward his scientific qualifications / level and field that give him the platform to be a superior voice on here regards COVID and put others down ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Bit radical but you might get a better response if you stop calling everyone else 'sheep' and inferring everyone who goes to pubs is an alcoholic. 

To be fair you must have seen enough of me on here by now to know i tend to avoid doing that unless I’m reacting to people being rude to me first , perhaps I shouldn’t but I’m sure you understand you have to stand your ground and give it back , we have a few tussles at times but agree lots too ??‍♂️

18 hours ago, GboroRam said:

That was likely politically motivated, as we were in a desperate place due to a national shortage of PPE. As pretty much every other developed country recommended them, and studies have shown that they offer a benefit against spreading the virus, I'd say it was nonsense. 

Interesting I read this, this morning. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9914969/Popular-blue-surgical-face-masks-NOT-stop-people-infected-COVID-19.html#article-9914969 

Id imagine the cheap, custom design things people are buying off eBay aren’t much better as well. 

16 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Interesting I read this, this morning. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9914969/Popular-blue-surgical-face-masks-NOT-stop-people-infected-COVID-19.html#article-9914969 

Id imagine the cheap, custom design things people are buying off eBay aren’t much better as well. 

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now

18 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

The article I posted didn’t say that don’t reduce transmission but they found some were quite poor in doing so. Let’s be honest unless you’re wearing a full respirator with filters nothing will stop all of the virus particles escaping. 

Edited by QuitYourJibbaJivin

24 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

The article I posted didn’t say that don’t reduce transmission but they found some were quite poor in doing so. Let’s be honest unless you’re wearing a full respirator with filters nothing will stop all of the virus particles escaping. 

Did you not see how cases vanished when everyone was wearing masks last winter? Oh no wait...

38 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did you not see how cases vanished when everyone was wearing masks last winter? Oh no wait...

The response will be that cases would have been massively worse without them , personally I think they have an effect but at very best a tiny effect ,based on what they are made of ,how they fit and how people use them but I’m sure I will be told I’m not scientist so leave it to those with a science background 

I wear the ffp2 ones on the train and bus.. They are far more effective. 

Also looks like Australian state of nsw is taking a big turn for the worse under lockdown rules similar to the ones we were under in Jan /Feb time.

Interesting wa, qld, tas and sa seem to be more or less covid free. 

Edited by alexxxxx

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Your own article is pretty unequivocal. 

Professor Melinda Mills, Director of the Leverhulme Centre and author of the study, says, ‘The evidence is clear that people should wear masks to reduce virus transmission and protect themselves, with most countries recommending the public to wear them. Yet clear policy recommendations that the public should broadly wear them has been unclear and inconsistent in some countries such as England.’

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Your own article is pretty unequivocal. 

Professor Melinda Mills, Director of the Leverhulme Centre and author of the study, says, ‘The evidence is clear that people should wear masks to reduce virus transmission and protect themselves, with most countries recommending the public to wear them. Yet clear policy recommendations that the public should broadly wear them has been unclear and inconsistent in some countries such as England.’

Is that Professor Melinda Mills who is a demographer and sociologist?

Can't say them qualifications seem to give any weight to her opinion on wearing masks.

I’ve never seen proof, only suggestion that you actually get it through breathing it in. 

I’ve had Covid, it was brutal, and I know it exists, I’m not sure how it’s actually transmitted though. 

probably more to do with what you touch. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’ve never seen proof, only suggestion that you actually get it through breathing it in. 

I’ve had Covid, it was brutal, and I know it exists, I’m not sure how it’s actually transmitted though. 

probably more to do with what you touch. 

I'd say it spreads so easily, it must be airborne. 

3 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

You don't need to, and never have had to. You just need to reduce the 'viral load'. It's most unlikely that there is anyone anywhere on the planet who hasn't inhaled some Covid-containing droplets, but by and large, it's high amounts that completely overwhelm a body's defences.

39 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'd say it spreads so easily, it must be airborne. 

Not convinced. When i had it, i was contracting and was worried I’d be sent home unpaid, so i waited for those around me to show signs and then I’d be sent to work from home, but it took nearly 6 weeks for people close by to get ill! This was last February before masks and social distancing.