The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 hour ago, sage said:

its gone up around 20% in the last 30 days. 

As we are also potentially looking at a really bad flu season , what is wrong with wearing masks in shops and on public transport?

Why?

I remember quite clearly that over the last 18 months the lockdowns were done to save lives.

Are you now telling us that it is going to cost lives from other illnesses?

Well who would have predicted that...

Edited by G STAR RAM

5 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Nothing wrong with it if that’s what people want to do. I personally don’t think it should be mandatory. 

There are problems with that premise.

The first is that masks help stop spreading, so the choice is with the potential spreader not the potential catcher. Is someone's right not to wear a mask stronger than someone's right to go in shops and on trains without others putting them at risk? 

Secondly, Europe has prettyuch opened up but has had stricter mask rules. Their infection rates and death are a fraction of ours. Not mandating mask wearing is effectively planning for herd immunity which if is the case, ought to be admitted to by the government 

15 minutes ago, sage said:

The first is that masks help stop spreading, so the choice is with the potential spreader not the potential catcher. Is someone's right not to wear a mask stronger than someone's right to go in shops and on trains without others putting them at risk? 

Secondly, Europe has prettyuch opened up but has had stricter mask rules. Their infection rates and death are a fraction of ours. Not mandating mask wearing is effectively planning for herd immunity which if is the case, ought to be admitted to by the government 

The majority of the population have been double jabbed, those who haven’t have taken that decision and own personal risk. So what are we stopping spreading, a virus that with vaccination is no worse than a mild bout of flu. So what risk do you speak of?
If people want to wear them, then ok, if people don’t want to then ok also. 

5 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

The majority of the population have been double jabbed, those who haven’t have taken that decision and own personal risk. So what are we stopping spreading, a virus that with vaccination is no worse than a mild bout of flu. So what risk do you speak of?
If people want to wear them, then ok, if people don’t want to then ok also. 

Why not just do it? Why risk that it has no positive effect? It really isn’t difficult or so intrusive. And later when there’s more scientific evidence one way or another you can say ‘told you so’  or ‘glad I did it’.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why not just do it? Why risk that it has no positive effect? It really isn’t difficult or so intrusive. And later when there’s more scientific evidence one way or another you can say ‘told you so’  or ‘glad I did it’.

Didn’t say I don’t or won’t, I said I don’t  think it should be mandatory that’s all. Let’s just get back to pre Covid ways of living and dealing with viruses etc, but if people want to wear them, great no issues from me. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Do I have the right to cross the road without motorists putting me at risk ? 

28 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Didn’t say I don’t or won’t, I said I don’t  think it should be mandatory that’s all. Let’s just get back to pre Covid ways of living and dealing with viruses etc, but if people want to wear them, great no issues from me. 

We might get back to where we were precovid but you can't pretend it hasn't happened - the world has changed. We have to change with it.

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because people DO NOT want to live they’re lives in masks , if I see someone in a mask I assume they are either vulnerable or feel vulnerable without one , I keep my distance and that’s far better than the farce of flimsy on and off paper masks  

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We might get back to where we were precovid but you can't pretend it hasn't happened - the world has changed. We have to change with it.

Why do w, what for ? Isn’t that what the vaccine program is for? 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No , the world has not changed , we have some people trying to force it to change for others

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Pretend what hasn’t happened? That 130 , 000 ( if figures including death within 28 days of a positive test ) are to be taken as gospel ,over a two year period from a population of 77 million , most of those being at  an age and or poor medical state so as to render them vulnerable to death from many many illnesses , coupled with a crazy policy of putting infected people into care homes to spread it like wildfire to those most vulnerable , now EVERY death is sad and should not be dismissed but please let’s have some proper perspective, let’s have some balance and care for deaths caused and to be caused by covid restrictions,

what has happened does not warrant people telling everyone that they’re lives must change and we can not return to normal living and that very much includes people having to walk round in stupid paper masks

21 minutes ago, Archied said:

No , the world has not changed , we have some people trying to force it to change for others

Unfortunately the other poster is correct, the world has changed. The rich and powerful have managed to wrestle away more wealth and power at the same time as convincing a lot of people that its in their best interests. 

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

Pretend what hasn’t happened? That 130 , 000 ( if figures including death within 28 days of a positive test ) are to be taken as gospel ,over a two year period from a population of 77 million , most of those being at  an age and or poor medical state so as to render them vulnerable to death from many many illnesses , coupled with a crazy policy of putting infected people into care homes to spread it like wildfire to those most vulnerable , now EVERY death is sad and should not be dismissed but please let’s have some proper perspective, let’s have some balance and care for deaths caused and to be caused by covid restrictions,

what has happened does not warrant people telling everyone that they’re lives must change and we can not return to normal living and that very much includes people having to walk round in stupid paper masks

You're not dead then? 

I'm bored with whatever it is you're trying to prove. 

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're not dead then? 

I'm bored with whatever it is you're trying to prove. 

Not trying to prove anything ,just not prepared to accept without reply the wildly out of proportion rubbish posted by those that want to force they’re will on others no matter how much that bores me 

On 14/10/2021 at 22:42, sage said:

If we don't make masks mandatory by the end of the month, we will end up with another lockdown by the end of the year.  

We could go down the Oz route 

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

We could go down the Oz route 

Why not, seems lovely...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/15/melbourne-embraced-zero-covid-now-remains-isolated-world-bounces/

For those that cba to click on the link, some highlights...

- Melbourne holds the dubious record of being the most locked-down city in the world – 260 days and counting.

- The twitching curtain brigade, encouraged by government campaigns urging them to inform on their neighbours, watch for rule-breakers and use special hotlines to summon the police.

- Masks are mandatory outdoors even if walking on a windswept beach or a deserted street. Those caught disobeying may be fined, handcuffed, forcibly masked and arrested if they refuse to comply.

- Getting into Australia has been near-impossible. Getting out requires a North Korea-style exit permit. Border closures have separated families and caused untold hardship. Babies have died, unable to access urgent medical attention at the nearest hospital across a locked state border.

- While deaths have remained low, other metrics paint a disastrous picture. Psychologists and GPs report a surge in substance abuse, eating disorders, domestic and child abuse, truancy, depression, anxiety and self-harm.

Edited by maxjam