Incommmming!

Day

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all

We've been here before many times in the January window and signed many thoroughly underwhelming players.  A team made up of our worst January signings of the post PL era would struggle to compete in the National League North.

However, I have to admit that this window does feel a bit different, and I think I know why.

Although Wazza is one of the all time England greats, and always will be, he's also originally from the tough streets of Liverpool.  Also, although his rise through the ranks was swift, and deservedly so, he will understand from his early experience how the different levels of the game operate.  I also suspect that he will have tracked the lower leagues during his stay in the USA so as to be ready for the transition into management.  He has also obviously had people working on possible targets for some time.

He has therefore shifted a few fringe players and dipped mainly into the loan market, both sensible moves when firefighting.  We now have enough cover to reduce the pressure on the younger players and a squad that should have enough stability and firepower to finish mid-table this time and build from there.

If by the Summer we really do have new owners and investment, we can then expect more departures and arrivals until he has a group that can compete in the top 6 consistently, which is where we have usually been in the last 10 seasons.

Finally, I'm sure that for many players the chance to work with Wazza would have sealed the deal.  Even if he was managing Tamworth in the Evo Stik Premier Division, what player wouldn't jump at the chance?

After so many false starts, playoff heartbreaks and blasted hopes, could we finally be at the start of a new era to rival that of the Jim Smith years?  It feels that way, but then so did the Lampard season...

LR2

53 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

I would think we'd have a reasonable chance of signing Edmunson and Baningime permanently come the end of the season. Rangers seem to be covered at CB, and I'm not sure he has a a future there going by their fans' comments, and the Everton lad doesn't seem like he's near enough the first team considering his age, so could be ready for a move away.

I reckon Roberts would depend more on a takeover and whether we have the cash, as I think City would want to recoup a decent chunk of the £12m they spent, and his wages demands would be higher.

I'd be surprised if Gregory's anything more than a short term fix to get us through the rest of the season, I reckon Rooney would have other targets come the summer, but you never know. We'll just have to see how they do... hopefully really bloody well!

Those were pretty much my thoughts too

33 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Roberts is an interesting one. At Man City at 23, had a few loans, very unlikely he'll be in their first team any time soon. He'll be looking for a permanent move soon you would think.

Also this - On reputation and the little I saw of him at Fulham and Celtic he'd be the most exciting permanent prospect for me

However - Let's wait and see how they all do over the next few months

New contract for Wisdom now please Wayne!

52 minutes ago, Srg said:

Interesting we just had Moulden on trial too for a goalkeeper.

Foster and Idem don't get to play for the U23s anymore due to being members of the extended matchday squad.

Sykes-Kenworthy, Yates, and Halwax haven't done enough to impress so far, so another keeper makes sense to me. Personally, I'd rotate that spot between Foster and Idem with just one of them being in the extended first team squad at a time.

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I’m getting strong 2005 vibes, with the six loan players and relegation dogfight under an ownership that’s unwilling to (or simply can’t) spend any money. 

We brought in: Kalilou Fadiga, Johnnie Jackson, Peter Whittingham, Alan Wright, Michael McIndoe, Dexter Blackstock, Andrew Davies, Mounir El Hamdaoui, Kevin Lisbie, Danny Graham, Stern John & Emerson Thome in on loan over the course of the season. Patching up holes and getting by in a seriously chaotic way, but ultimately getting by under Terry Westley in the end. Ironically, after saying he didn’t want the job full time to begin with, he seemed to get the hump and take our best academy prospect with him to Birmingham the season after. 

Loan players are typically difficult to gauge, some are more motivated than others and some really don’t live up to billing. I guess it will all come out, but out of the 5 made I would predict that 3, maybe even 4, make next to no positive impact. I would guarantee at least one of them will help in a big way, but no idea which one at this stage. 

Rooney chose these players. He knows what they can do. He likes their attitude. I predict that all five will be assets and take us to the next level. Two players for each position and a manager who expects full effort or you will be dropped. What can go wrong.

1 hour ago, Shang said:

So this is the state of the squad at the moment (not counting for long term injuries). We seem to be in a solid place, only issue is if Bird gets injured them Knight / Sibley / Watson / Brown would have to drop in.

We've massively improved our strength in depth and have experienced like-for-like players competing for every spot. It looks like Rooney trusts McDonald to do well enough to cover Byrne, or it could be he'll move Wisdom over and bring another CB to cover him.

It's looking very promising.

lineup (2).png

Excellent summary, Shang. Rooney knows exactly what he is doing.

After tonight there are 19 games left this season, so for the five new faces that would mean a maximum aggregate of 95 starts between them. Come the end of the season, I doubt they will have wracked up more than 25 in total.

But... the point is that Rooney and his staff have completely hit the nail on the head this window by shipping five out and shipping five in (quite possibly for a net financial gain overall) and successfully made the squad feel a lot more secure in our current battles than it was at the start of January (injury to KB withstanding). It has been almost the perfect example of 'wheeling and dealing' - and that is from a 'rookie' manager.

I think he's had a great start to life as a manager. He's simplified the way we play; got the team fitter; made us more of a unified force and he's got the squad better balanced too.

Of course, like many of us, I don't know too much about the new players but, on paper at least, they all look to be excellent fits. Assuming the performance trajectory maintains for the rest of the season, he'll be able to go into the summer with almost a blank canvass to build from and with plenty of time to plan his next moves.

I say, well done sir!

The main things Rooney has brought to club/team is

1. An air of professionalism.

2. A sense of plan

3. A more intense regime of fitness and hard work.

4. A belief that we will emerge from the position were in.

5. A perception if you work hard and honestly enough for him as a player you will be rewarded with a place in the team.

He has managed to concentrate the players minds totally on whats going on the pitch and not on what's going on around the club i.e. (takeover/financial difficulties).

I think were very lucky to have him at this time, the alternative a whole season with the unfortunate Mr Cocu now doesn't bear thinking about now. (no slight on him as a person)

Just now, Rab a dab doo said:

2. A sense of plan

5. A perception if you work hard and honestly enough for him as a player you will be rewarded with a place in the team.

He has managed to concentrate the players minds totally on whats going on the pitch and not on what's going on around the club i.e. (takeover/financial difficulties).

I think were very lucky to have him at this time, the alternative a whole season with the unfortunate Mr Cocu now doesn't bear thinking about now. (no slight on him as a person)

I think it's easy to forget just how hard players like Rooney work, and how professional they are. At his peak he was tireless, always a team player but had the aggression and bite to succeed in a battle... along with being one of the most technically gifted players this country has produced. I feel like this is really coming across in how his team players, and I really wasn't expecting it but on reflection it makes total sense.

I love how black and white he seems to be - you either work hard and fight, or you don't play, 'none of my first eleven are leaving' etc. He speaks in definitive terms, but I absolutely believe him. Even when he commented about the possibility of relegation, he was "100% certain" we'd not get relegated. That's a proper winners mentality and you'd expect the players feed off of that.

I was a bit worried because as a player towards the end he seemed laboured, but I suspect that's a combination of his age, playing the way Cocu wanted (and to be fair, the whole team looked lacklustre) and maybe losing that hunger he once had. But in management it's a new start and he has to prove himself all over again, and he strikes me as someone who thrives when he's proving people wrong.

21 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

2. A sense of plan

Just to pull you up on your first comment, a lot of posters also thought that Cocu was also very professional, in his post match interviews he was always very measured, he dealt with the Joiners Gate incident efficiently and generally was extremely polished in all communications.

That facet alone however wasn't enough to make up for his short fallings elsewhere as you've already alluded to however being in a customer facing role you would expect all that as a minimum from a manager. 

I always find it interesting to see or hear which bids were made for whatever players which were turned down especially when it involves us - I want to particularly hear which premiership clubs we told to get stuffed about knight,Sibley,Buchanan, Bird - it’s the curiosity in me - please let it be Burnley- Leeds etc 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I always find it interesting to see or hear which bids were made for whatever players which were turned down especially when it involves us - I want to particularly hear which premiership clubs we told to get stuffed about knight,Sibley,Buchanan, Bird - it’s the curiosity in me - please let it be Burnley- Leeds etc 

Won't have been Burnley....since their takeover they continue to spend...£0, zip, nada, nothing.

Archived