v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

Just now, Rammy03 said:

Something's been up with him for a long time. Just not the player he was under lampard. Such a shame. His performances and overall attitude have not been right this season. He had one good game against wycombe and that was it.

He certainly seems to have declined a fair bit, that much is clear. Don’t think there’s ever been anything wrong with his attitude though, he always seems a good character, his performances have just been poor. I suspect he’s still struggling a fair bit after losing his friend last year, which I think would be the same for anyone in his situation. It must be extremely difficult.

Seems strange to include an inexperienced player like Whittaker on the bench over him mind, especially after what happened to him a few games ago.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it. Unchanged side, 4-3-3, boom! Come on you Mighty Rams, lets put this lot to the sword and start 2021 they way we mean to continue - new investors, some good signings and loans, smashing Coronavirus, partying like its 1999 and Premier League bound. Hell, we even have a proper ITK poster again in @Footymum2017 who I'm certain has a lad in the Academy ? 

What's not to like!

COYR

20 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Re the unchanged team... given the quick turnarounds and matches coming in thick and fast...

Some may say "Brave".  Some may say "Silly".

I say BOOM... We are Derby.  Bring it on!

?

If you play well as a team the adrenaline keeps you going. If Wazza keeps them focused then it’s the best thing to do. Kazim may not stay the 90 though so interesting to see if we’ve got a plan B up top. 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He certainly seems to have declined a fair bit, that much is clear. Don’t think there’s ever been anything wrong with his attitude though, he always seems a good character, his performances have just been poor. I suspect he’s still struggling a fair bit after losing his friend last year, which I think would be the same for anyone in his situation. It must be extremely difficult.

Seems strange to include an inexperienced player like Whittaker on the bench over him mind, especially after what happened to him a few games ago.

With Holmes i just don't think he's ever been quite right after his broken ankle (think it was that - either way not been the same after his injury) but I don't ever think he's had a bad attitude or not been trying.

I'm glad Whittaker is back on the bench - yeah, the sub on-sub off situation was not good for him but shows he's worked hard to get back in the picture and the coachs aren't just going to bomb players out. I think there's a player in him somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I think a couple things spring to mind for me. Firstly is that he hasn't ever seemed right since getting injured around Feb last year. Secondly his best position isn't at 10 nor is it playing out wide and he's only being middling to fair at best when played there, he played his best in slightly deeper positions like in a 3 man midfield where his ability to pick up pockets of space, turn and then drive through the middle comes to the fore more. Weirdly despite his exclusion tonight, I think he'd quite suited to playing in how the midfield is currently set up and I expect he will have a role to play there as the season goes on.

Whittaker could be included for a few reasons, maybe Holmes has taken a knock, maybe we wanted an extra wide option especially as Sibley wide tonight or maybe Whittaker has been tearing up in training. Who knows and I don't think it's worth reading into too much. 

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

With Holmes i just don't think he's ever been quite right after his broken ankle (think it was that - either way not been the same after his injury) but I don't ever think he's had a bad attitude or not been trying.

I'm glad Whittaker is back on the bench - yeah, the sub on-sub off situation was not good for him but shows he's worked hard to get back in the picture and the coachs aren't just going to bomb players out. I think there's a player in him somewhere.

Yeah that’s a good point, I forgot about that injury. He was flying up until that point.

It’s a tough one with Whittaker. We haven’t seen enough of him yet to really judge his level of ability, but I can’t shake the feeling that he’s not ready yet, at least for the time being.

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

If you play well as a team the adrenaline keeps you going. If Wazza keeps them focused then it’s the best thing to do. Kazim may not stay the 90 though so interesting to see if we’ve got a plan B up top. 

I think there's some value to that school of thought. I was tad worried about over-playing CKR and Bielik but my concerns appear to have been unfounded. I think by happenstance, the Rotherham cancellation has actually helped us in this regard too with lads able to rest up a little and do some conditioning work in their time off.

As for upfront options, I think we're a little thin on the ground and that's the one concern, so another fast start and early goal would help from a game management perspective. The Wendies grafted a good result against a Boro side who are now proving hard to beat so while I'm hopeful of a win, I don't think we'll roll over them the way we did Birmingham. Be lovely if we did though!

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Bench looks a bit skimpy...Plan B for when Kazim buckles on 70th min ? ?‍♂️

Not really a bench to make changes for tactical reasons. Hopefully won’t need to.

That looks like our best starting 11 and we will be sticking with it until we’ve bought some breathing space IMO

25 minutes ago, JfR said:

Wednesday have only one CB in their line-up, so will be interesting to see who's filling in at the back

The replies seem to suggest it will be Shaw, a 19 year old with only a handful of appearances in the first team. I believe he's normally a midfielder. Could be an area for us to exploit. 

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think a couple things spring to mind for me. Firstly is that he hasn't ever seemed right since getting injured around Feb last year. Secondly his best position isn't at 10 nor is it playing out wide and he's only being middling to fair at best when played there, he played his best in slightly deeper positions like in a 3 man midfield where his ability to pick up pockets of space, turn and then drive through the middle comes to the fore more. Weirdly despite his exclusion tonight, I think he'd quite suited to playing in how the midfield is currently set up and I expect he will have a role to play there as the season goes on.

Whittaker could be included for a few reasons, maybe Holmes has taken a knock, maybe we wanted an extra wide option especially as Sibley wide tonight or maybe Whittaker has been tearing up in training. Who knows and I don't think it's worth reading into too much. 

Yeah, Holmes’ position is a tough one. I’ve liked him in midfield as well in the past, but Rooney seems to see him as a right winger. Depending on what happens with Ibe, we’re quite short of options on that side, with Waghorn probably the other main option. Holmes definitely still has a major role in the squad.

You’re probably right, I suspect it’s an injury or personal reasons that has put him out tonight. Seems strange not to mention it if that’s the case, but it’s not really a major thing.

24 minutes ago, JfR said:

Wednesday have only one CB in their line-up, so will be interesting to see who's filling in at the back

Wow. I know their chairman said he wanted to see a 'more attacking' approach, but that team's something else! My guess would be 5-3-2 with Odubajo, Lees, and Palmer at the back and Harris and Reach playing as wing-backs. If so (on paper) that's a defence that we can have some success against. Odubajo's pace could prove an issue for whichever of Joz/Sibbo is up against him, but that's about it.

I know I may be in a minority but I think Holmes is a very good footballer and hope we keep him. Whitaker plays a slightly more advanced position so maybe this is the reason he’s on the bench this evening but who knows possibly Holmes has a knock 

Good to see an unchanged team. Bench looks a little light especially in a attack especially with no Waggy or potentially Ibe for the wings, Kaz is doing great but he needs a rest every now and then, it’s a priority this window to strengthen that area.

9 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

The replies seem to suggest it will be Shaw, a 19 year old with only a handful of appearances in the first team. I believe he's normally a midfielder. Could be an area for us to exploit. 

Hope fully Kaz gives him a nice welcome steamrollering!

Archived