v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah, Holmes’ position is a tough one. I’ve liked him in midfield as well in the past, but Rooney seems to see him as a right winger. Depending on what happens with Ibe, we’re quite short of options on that side, with Waghorn probably the other main option. Holmes definitely still has a major role in the squad.

You’re probably right, I suspect it’s an injury or personal reasons that has put him out tonight. Seems strange not to mention it if that’s the case, but it’s not really a major thing.

Yeah I get you but Rooney might not feels it's important or is protecting Holmes in some way or it might have have happened after most of the media stuff was done. Holmes has been in and around the first 11 enough recently to suggest there isn't something major going on.

It's easy sometimes in football to read a lot into small things.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Monty said:

I know I may be in a minority but I think Holmes is a very good footballer and hope we keep him. Whitaker plays a slightly more advanced position so maybe this is the reason he’s on the bench this evening but who knows possibly Holmes has a knock 

A much better player than some credit and one who very much needs games to maintain his form. I think he suffers from being highly adaptable and is consequently deployed all over the park rather than in a single role. I think at the moment he'd struggle to get a starting slot though with the team in good form and I wonder if not having picked up a niggle, whether he might be getting some proper game time in an upcoming U23s game to keep him match sharp.

Archived