Strikers

plymouthram

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have struggled to find a no9 who can be the focus of the attack, hold the ball, and contribute goals.

CKR was the unlikely find who has done the best, but - whisper it - he’s not offering a great deal. Marriott was poor. Waghorn started brightly but faded. His first touch isn’t the best but he is useful if you want to plough a field and plant spuds. 
We do need another no9. Hector-Ingram doesn’t look like providing the answer. The best shout for a January acquisition still seems like @Curtains tip  - Kyle wootton - but who knows? 

I’d be tempted to try shonibare out wide sooner or later as we simply have to test players and decide whether they have anything to offer the first team or not. Similarly I’d swap Shinnie for Sibley. Shinnie has great qualities but we need more GOALS. 

There is a striker out there that used to be a Derby fan when his uncle played for us. Available on a free, averaged 1 in 2 in the Premier league & is probably one of the best natural finishers there is. Just ashame his injury record is rubbish, he's been without a club since March & would take time to get fit (if he ever gets fit) could be a route back into football though. Just a gamble & would he even come here. 

We've had a problem since vydra left. Lampards season masked the problem with loans & Wilsons free kicks. When we've done well we've always had a striker get 15 goals or more. A rasiak, hulse, howard, Martin, vydra. Colin & waghorn have never really been prolific. Id be happy if we can get someone in that knows the division & knows where the goal is. Id even take a lewis grabben type. Our Highest scorer this season has 2 goals thats a 1 in 10 average. 

15 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

If what Ryan Conway has said about Dursun being available for very little and being willing to come to Derby, I see no reason to keep Waggy around.

How are we getting around the new rules for European players? Dursun doesn't get enough points to come here does he?

16 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Only 7 in 32 in the Scottish premiership though.   He got 20 in the Scottish championship mind, which is an improvement on the 19 I'd have got.

16 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Just the 19? Are you only playing 6 months of the season? 

@plymouthram  With the money they spent on going through the leagues he had chance after chance every game to score. 

When it came to the SPL he couldn't hack it, got dropped and decided to give square goes to school lads outside the chipper. ?

It is worth noting that Waghorn has since come out and said he was seriously struggling with depression at that time.

18 hours ago, Rev said:

I'd love to know who's going to pay a fee for Waghorn?

He'll be available on a free come the end of the season, and is free in a few days time to negotiate a deal with teams outside of England.

Sure he won't interest the Old Firm, but teams below them might have a nibble based on his time with Rangers.

He's yet another player we've bought at his peak value, and will see depart at a massive loss.

Otherwise, we'll offer him an extension and kick the P&S loss down the road, which may be the best option.

Those out of interact need to be told soon if they are wanted pretty soon.

What comes first -

1. Takeover 

2. Manager appointment

3. New contracts 

4. Signings

I have no idea.

18 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

They seem to be set on Dursun to come in.

None of the u23 strikers are really target man types from what i understand. CKR is worth his weight in poohousery in addition to his hold up play. It's not that they're not good enough so much as not what the team needs right now.

Marriott I think could be useful next to CKR/new-CKR and I'd give a clean slate to, but I'm not going to be outraged if he's just not in the picture.

SO it leaves us in the same prediciment as before, we need a Chris Martin like striker to come in to lift some of the burden from CKR's shoulders.

Clone Colin as a long term plan. I am more impressed the more I watch him. He has transformed the team. Do a computer statistic search to find the nearest skill set to Colin and splash the cash big time. Also keep Colin at this club as some sort of coach for absolute definite. Colin loves it here. How could Cocu not have got him playing after watching him train and play for ten minutes in practice games. 

They are still laughing at what we paid for Waghorn North of the border (if indeed those numbers were accurate)..I would get rid. I would at least give Marriott a tryout in the Rooney team to see whether he wants it bad enough..then get Dursan and one other proper goalscorer.. depending on the takeover of course.. 

58 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

There is a striker out there that used to be a Derby fan when his uncle played for us. Available on a free, averaged 1 in 2 in the Premier league & is probably one of the best natural finishers there is. Just ashame his injury record is rubbish, he's been without a club since March & would take time to get fit (if he ever gets fit) could be a route back into football though. Just a gamble & would he even come here. 

We've had a problem since vydra left. Lampards season masked the problem with loans & Wilsons free kicks. When we've done well we've always had a striker get 15 goals or more. A rasiak, hulse, howard, Martin, vydra. Colin & waghorn have never really been prolific. Id be happy if we can get someone in that knows the division & knows where the goal is. Id even take a lewis grabben type. Our Highest scorer this season has 2 goals thats a 1 in 10 average. 

Jermaine Defoe.

10 minutes ago, Yani P said:

They are still laughing at what we paid for Waghorn North of the border (if indeed those numbers were accurate)..I would get rid. I would at least give Marriott a tryout in the Rooney team to see whether he wants it bad enough..then get Dursan and one other proper goalscorer.. depending on the takeover of course.. 

Yea, there’s nothing to laugh about football north of the border whatsoever ?

Anyone else thinking we should offer Marriott back to MacAnthony as part of a swap deal for either Clarke-Harris or Dembele?  Admittedly I have been pushing Clarke-Harris since his Rotherham days and Dembele since @DarkFruitsRam7 favourite away day in the rain at Grimsby.

I just think Jack needs a reboot and I'm not convinced that is possible here.

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

come on Marriott is clearly not the answer even if fully fit which is never his 1st touch is league one and he can’t play the lone  striker role.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It is worth noting that Waghorn has since come out and said he was seriously struggling with depression at that time.

Yes, I saw that. The step up from the Championship to the Premier league seemed to trigger it, along with injuries. 

Archived